Left Behind

Left Behind

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

d

Moves
29 Aug 05

Originally posted by Halitose
Sounds fantastic, I agree. But then the tribulation as prophecied in Revelation won't be something man has seen before... If my interpretation of Revelation is correct, this will be the destruction of the world as we know it.
God is Love.

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
29 Aug 05

Originally posted by Halitose
Sounds fantastic, I agree. But then the tribulation as prophecied in Revelation won't be something man has seen before... If my interpretation of Revelation is correct, this will be the destruction of the world as we know it.
Assuming for a moment that Revelations is accurate (coded) prophecy, how do you know that it hasn't already occurred--that it refers to past events you do not understand? The world order of the first century AD no longer exists...

f
Bruno's Ghost

In a hot place

Moves
29 Aug 05

Ok, Ok, Im stumped ..How can stories about " the rapture" be a biblical truth when "rapture " ain't once mentioned in the bible?

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
29 Aug 05

Originally posted by frogstomp
Ok, Ok, Im stumped ..How can stories about " the rapture" be a biblical truth when "rapture " ain't once mentioned in the bible?
You're right, it doesn't.

The link I posted up there explains all about that (the many contradictory millenial yarns)--if anyone can be bothered.

C

Earth Prime

Moves
29 Aug 05

Originally posted by rwingett
Why? What do they find objectionable about them?
Well this is a whole other discussion about the tearing apart within Christian groups. As already mentioned, some believe in mid and post-tribulation rapture, and the books support pre-tribulation rapture. I think the main issue is that they don't believe the books provide an accurate account of what is going to happen. With many people taking it as gospel, I think they feel that it isn't a healthy addition to the Word.

d

Moves
29 Aug 05

Originally posted by Coconut
Well this is a whole other discussion about the tearing apart within Christian groups. As already mentioned, some believe in mid and post-tribulation rapture, and the books support pre-tribulation rapture. I think the main issue is that they don't believe the books provide an accurate account of what is going to happen. With many people taking it as gospel, I think they feel that it isn't a healthy addition to the Word.
Are the horse-locusts in the books, Coco?

C

Earth Prime

Moves
29 Aug 05

Originally posted by darvlay

Seriously though, were the horse locusts in the books? Did the protagonists have to suffer through the five months of agony?
From what I've heard, the later books get into the plagues. Sorry, I've only read the first one.

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
29 Aug 05

I think the main issue is that they don't believe the books provide an accurate account of what is going to happen.
What do you consider an accurate account of these fabulous future events?

C

Earth Prime

Moves
29 Aug 05

Originally posted by darvlay
Are the horse-locusts in the books, Coco?
According to the website Darv, book 5 Apollyon:

"The next three judgments are to be so much worse than anything that has come before that an angel flies about heaven, warning the earth of the three woes. The fifth Trumpet Judgment—a plague of scorpionlike locusts led by Apollyon, chief demon of the abyss—is so horrifying that men try to kill themselves but are not allowed to die."

http://www.leftbehind.com/channelbooks.asp?channelID=41

d

Moves
29 Aug 05

According to the website Darv, book 5 Apollyon:

"The next three judgments are to be so much worse than anything that has come before that an angel flies about heaven, warning the earth of the three woes. The fifth Trumpet Judgment—a plague of scorpionlike locusts led by Apollyon, chief demon of the abyss—is so horrifying that men try to kill themselves but are not allowed to die."

http://www.leftbehind.com/channelbooks.asp?channelID=41
God is Love.

C

Earth Prime

Moves
29 Aug 05
1 edit

Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
What do you consider an accurate account of these fabulous future events?
I haven't spent a great deal of time reading books about the end-times. I know that the Bible does have a reference that says we should watch for the signs.

All the Bible says is that "the dead in Christ will rise first" then we "will be caught up together with him in the clouds." Doesn't say anything about us leaving our clothes and dentures behind, as shown in the Left Behind books. I even saw one messed up version of the rapture on video where the guy left behind has a stunning flashback of his father quoting that verse, so he digs up his dad's grave to find his body gone. Quite strange.

Everyone left their clothes neatly folded in that version too. God must have had some housewife angels to do the laundry.

f
Bruno's Ghost

In a hot place

Moves
29 Aug 05

Here's my other question :

Since ... Revelation 22:18 For I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this book, If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book: 22:19 And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book.... says that.

WHO added " the rapture" ?

C

Earth Prime

Moves
29 Aug 05
1 edit

Here's my other question :

Since ... Revelation 22:18 For I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this book, If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book: 22:19 And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his pa ...[text shortened]... the things which are written in this book.... says that.

WHO added " the rapture" ?
Some quick Googling will serve you well. Nobody added "rapture" to the gospels, we use it to refer to when we are finally taken from earth at the 2nd coming. The word "trinity" isn't in there either actually, yet we use it constantly to refer to God's three parts.

"Where, then, does the term rapture come from? In 1 Thessalonians 4:17, Paul said that living believers will be "caught up" with the dead in Christ to meet the Lord in the air. The Greek word Paul used here is harpazo, which means "to snatch away." When the Bible was translated into Latin, the scholars rendered harpazo as rapturo. It is just a short step then from rapturo to the English word rapture. Therefore, although it is true that the word itself does not appear in our English translation of Scripture, the sense of the word is surely there. Christians will be snatched away when the Lord descends with a shout."

http://www.rbc.org/ds/q1204/page3.html (12)

f
Bruno's Ghost

In a hot place

Moves
29 Aug 05
1 edit

Some quick Googling will serve you well. Nobody added "rapture" to the gospels, we use it to refer to when we are finally taken from earth at the 2nd coming. The word "trinity" isn't in there either actually, yet we use it constantly to refer to God's three parts.

"Where, then, does the term rapture come from? In 1 Thessalonians 4:17, Paul said tha ...[text shortened]... tched away when the Lord descends with a shout."

http://www.rbc.org/ds/q1204/page3.html (12)
only one BIG problem with that, the KJV wasn't translated from the Vulgate, its was translated direct from Greek.

and one more thing: how come the Gospel of the Kingdom that Christ preached ain't good enought for you?
Matt 4:23 And Jesus went about all Galilee, teaching in their synagogues, and preaching the gospel of the kingdom, and healing all manner of sickness and all manner of disease among the people.

9:35 And Jesus went about all the cities and villages, teaching in
their synagogues, and preaching the gospel of the kingdom, and healing every sickness and every disease among the people.

24:14 And this gospel of the kingdom shall be preached in all the
world for a witness unto all nations; and then shall the end come.

Mark 16:15 And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature.

notice he didnt say add stuff to it cause it's incomplete, SO Who added the rest?

C

Earth Prime

Moves
29 Aug 05
1 edit

only one BIG problem with that, the KJV wasn't translated from the Vulgate, its was translated direct from Greek.
Sorry I don't understand. Either way, the word couldn't have come about by other translations? Even if KJ used the greek to directly translate.