Knowing vs. discovering

Knowing vs. discovering

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
21 Jan 15

Originally posted by divegeester
OK. I don't want to sound like a fundamentalist seeker.

I'm not hung up on the whole thing. I just find a lot of people here to be pretty firm in their view that they have THE truth.
Some truths are told to us flat-out in the Bible.

Then there are other "truths" that people make out of thin air from what they read in the Bible.

Discerning the second from the first is usually what most of the arguments here between Christians comes down to.

Some actual truths we can be secure in KNOWing.

In Ezekiel alone, we have 63 appearances of the phrase "shall know that I am the Lord". Not a lot of wiggle room there.

O

Moves
21 Jan 15

That is the beauty of science, it accepts it could be wrong, which allows freedom of thought .

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
21 Jan 15

Originally posted by Suzianne
Some truths are told to us flat-out in the Bible.

Then there are other "truths" that people make out of thin air from what they read in the Bible.

Discerning the second from the first is usually what most of the arguments here between Christians comes down to.

Some actual truths we can be secure in KNOWing.

In Ezekiel alone, we have 63 appearances of the phrase "shall know that I am the Lord". Not a lot of wiggle room there.
Agreed.

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
21 Jan 15
2 edits

Originally posted by divegeester
OK. I don't want to sound like a fundamentalist seeker.

I'm not hung up on the whole thing. I just find a lot of people here to be pretty firm in their view that they have THE truth.
" I just find a lot of people here to be pretty firm in their view that they have THE truth." The alternative is "wobbly".

2 Timothy 1:7-14 "7. For God has not given us a spirit of timidity, but of power and love and discipline. 8. Therefore do not be ashamed of the testimony of our Lord, or of me His prisoner; but join with me in suffering for the gospel according to the power of God, 9. who has saved us, and called us with a holy calling, not according to our works, but according to His own purpose and grace which was granted us in Christ Jesus from all eternity, 10. but now has been revealed by the appearing of our Savior Christ Jesus, who abolished death, and brought life and immortality to light through the gospel, 11. for which I was appointed a preacher and an apostle and a teacher. 12. For this reason I also suffer these things, but I am not ashamed; for I know whom I have believed and I am convinced that He is able to guard what I have entrusted to Him until that day. 13. Retain the standard of sound words which you have heard from me, in the faith and love which are in Christ Jesus. 14. Guard, through the Holy Spirit who dwells in us, the treasure which has been entrusted to you."