1. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    10 Apr '14 14:22
    http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2014/04/10/new-tests-show-evidence-forgery-gospel-jesus-wife/IusII8b4eI86HgDTKipLhN/story.html
  2. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    10 Apr '14 14:39
    There was also a female apostle, Junia (mistranslated as the masculine Junias, Romans 16:7). That shoots down the Church's traditional argument why there should be no women priests.
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    10 Apr '14 15:022 edits
    Originally posted by moonbus
    There was also a female apostle, Junia (mistranslated as the masculine Junias, Romans 16:7). That shoots down the Church's traditional argument why there should be no women priests.
    sadly another common misconception, the Greek term apostle merely refers to one who is sent,

The Greek word apostolos is derived from the common verb apostello, meaning simply “send forth (or off).” (Mt 10:5; Mr 11:3) Its basic sense is clearly illustrated in Jesus’ statement: “A slave is not greater than his master, nor is one that is sent forth [apostolos] greater than the one that sent him.”

There is a different term in scripture for those who are appointed elders in the congregation which is 'presbyterou'
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    10 Apr '14 15:08
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2014/04/10/new-tests-show-evidence-forgery-gospel-jesus-wife/IusII8b4eI86HgDTKipLhN/story.html
    Again this proves nothing, simply because it is not a forgery does not mean that its contents are true. Muslims rather interestingly use a similar argument in that because the Koran has never been altered (itself unverifiable) it must have some kind of legitimacy???
  5. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    10 Apr '14 15:47
    All books written before the invention of the printing press had to be copied by hand, over and over. For large books, none of the 'copies' will be exactly alike. I don't know how any of the devotees of these books can call them 'inerrant' - when the original intent of the author may have been completely lost or changed in places, and bits added in 'unofficially' by the copyists because they thought they could enhance the stories, or clarify the theology.
  6. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    10 Apr '14 16:12
    This is as non-factual as the tripe Dan Brown writes.
  7. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    10 Apr '14 16:26
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    This is as non-factual as the tripe Dan Brown writes.
    It certainly doesn't meet any standard as proof. We see that. It also is hundreds of years after the fact. Time will tell if there is anything closer to year zero.
  8. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    10 Apr '14 17:17
    "Oh, sure: You can turn water into wine. But can You do a simple thing like maybe help me out with some work around the house?"
  9. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    10 Apr '14 18:23
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    sadly another common misconception, the Greek term apostle merely refers to one who is sent,

The Greek word apostolos is derived from the common verb apostello, meaning simply “send forth (or off).” (Mt 10:5; Mr 11:3) Its basic sense is clearly illustrated in Jesus’ statement: “A slave is not greater than his master, nor is one that is sent forth ...[text shortened]... term in scripture for those who are appointed elders in the congregation which is 'presbyterou'
    Google "apostle Junia". You'll get nearly 6,000 hits. What more proof do you need?
  10. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    10 Apr '14 18:291 edit
    You should ask RJHinds what he thinks, he's an expert on this sort of thing.

Also didn't you once claim that Jesus never existed. How can this not be a forgery if Jesus never existed?
  11. PenTesting
    Moves
    10 Apr '14 18:37
    Of course he was. The Bible says so :

Rev 21:9 And there came unto me one of the seven angels which had the seven vials full of the seven last plagues, and talked with me, saying, Come hither, I will shew thee the bride, the Lamb's wife.
  12. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    10 Apr '14 19:16
    Originally posted by Rajk999
    Of course he was. The Bible says so :

Rev 21:9 And there came unto me one of the seven angels which had the seven vials full of the seven last plagues, and talked with me, saying, Come hither, [b]I will shew thee the bride, the Lamb's wife.
    [/b]
    How come when you answer someone from the Scriptures it is Okay. But when I do so it is trying to "score brownie points" and defending God unnecessarily ?

You're a blooming hypocrite little fella.
  13. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    10 Apr '14 23:371 edit
    There is no 'traditional argument' that there should be no women priests, unless by Church (big C) you mean the Roman Catholic Church.

My church has women priests, including my local congregation. I've spoken with her at length, we've even gone shopping for shoes together. I've treated her to lunch many times.

There is zero reason why there should not be women priests, but there's plenty of excuses.
  14. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    10 Apr '14 23:42
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    All books written before the invention of the printing press had to be copied by hand, over and over. For large books, none of the 'copies' will be exactly alike. I don't know how any of the devotees of these books can call them 'inerrant' - when the original intent of the author may have been completely lost or changed in places, and bits added in 'unof ...[text shortened]... y' by the copyists because they thought they could enhance the stories, or clarify the theology.
    Give the scribes some credit. They are charged with exacting reproduction. They were as interested in quality and took their jobs as seriously as any other workman.
  15. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    11 Apr '14 02:04
    Google "apostle Junia". You'll get nearly 6,000 hits. What more proof do you need?
    I Googled 'Junia XXX' and I got 76,100 hits. Perhaps this proves that 'apostle' was not her day job.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree