1. Account suspended
    Moves
    11 Oct '18 03:04
    @divegeester said
    That is not correct chaney3

2 Timothy 3:16 (NIV)
    All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness.

All scripture is open to translation, interpretation, witness of the spirit and education. I politely suggest you stop looking at the bible as just a book but also as inspired text which is not time or date dependent.
    Jeremiah 29:11 was meant for Jewish exiles, not anybody in the year 2018.

There's a big difference between learning from a bible story, and interpreting it to think we are receiving the same message.

We can learn from the exodus story, but the fact remains that God was speaking to Moses, not us, as another example.
  2. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    11 Oct '18 03:12
    @secondson said
    Whatever chaney.

God is immutable.
    yeah right? not even chaney is listening... what a jib!!
  3. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    11 Oct '18 03:16
    @chaney3 said

There's a big difference between learning from a bible story, and interpreting it to think we are receiving the same message.

We can learn from the exodus story, but the fact remains that God was speaking to Moses, not us, as another example.
    I guess you know best.
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    11 Oct '18 03:21
    @divegeester said
    I guess you know best.
    I just don't appreciate when pastors feed me a line of BS that's supposed to make me think God promised something......when He didn't.

Either I'm not getting my point across, or everyone just gets pissed when the bible is questioned or challenged.
  5. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    11 Oct '18 03:26
    @chaney3 said
    I just don't appreciate when pastors feed me a line of BS that's supposed to make me think God promised something......when He didn't.

Either I'm not getting my point across, or everyone just gets pissed when the bible is questioned or challenged.
    like you had a monopoly on the bible....
  6. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    11 Oct '18 05:23
    @chaney3 said

It begs the question why you bother going to that church at all.
  7. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    11 Oct '18 10:05
    @chaney3 said

You should pray before you read scripture that God shows you exactly what He
    did, is doing, and will do. You put road blocks up and refuse to listen to anything
    people say to you. I'd get alone with God if I were you, and ask for His Word to
    touch you as He wills not you or us.
  8. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    11 Oct '18 20:112 edits
    @chaney3 said
    "For I know the plans I have for you, says the Lord. They are plans for good and not for disaster, to give you a future and a hope".

The pastor at the church I've been attending quotes this verse all the time, and uses it to prove to the congregation that God has plans for us......in the present.

I feel he's wrong, because God was speaking to a specific group of people ...[text shortened]... d go.

God seems to stay out of human affairs most of the time, as I've said in different threads.
    I feel he's wrong, because God was speaking to a specific group of people in their immediate time frame, and it shouldn't be taken out of context to provide false hope for our current generation.

Taking scripture out of context to promise something unreal is not how it should go.

Of course you are right about this. Unfortunately more than a few common Christian beliefs are also built upon half-truths. For example, many Christians cite "all our righteous acts are like filthy rags” and " there is none who does good" to underpin the concept of the "total depravity of man". If you look at the OT passages from which they are taken, it's clear that they too have been taken out of context and made to say something they don't.

That your pastor also does this comes as no surprise.
  9. Account suspended
    Moves
    11 Oct '18 21:00
    @thinkofone said
    I feel he's wrong, because God was speaking to a specific group of people in their immediate time frame, and it shouldn't be taken out of context to provide false hope for our current generation.

Taking scripture out of context to promise something unreal is not how it should go.

Of course you are right about this. Unfortunately more than a few common Christ ...[text shortened]... text and made to say something they don't.

That your pastor also does this comes as no surprise.
    It's disappointing that I get attacked or lectured when questioning bible interpretation and/or context.
  10. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    11 Oct '18 21:582 edits
    @chaney3 said
    It's disappointing that I get attacked or lectured when questioning bible interpretation and/or context.
    Earlier you wrote:
    <<The bible is loaded with things that sound good, make you feel good, and promises......but when scrutinized, aren't true at all.>>

By and large, Christianity is about "feel good" rather than about truth. That's why you get push back from Christians whenever you place truth above "feel good". It's also why so many Christians are so irrational about it.

On the other hand, by and large, the gospel preached by Jesus during His ministry is about truth rather than about "feel good".

Jesus said the following about what is commonly referred to as "the Holy Spirit":

John 14
    15“If you love me, keep my commands. 16And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another advocate to help you and be with you forever— 17the Spirit of truth. The world cannot accept him, because it neither sees him nor knows him. But you know him, for he lives with you and will be in you.

Note that Jesus calls it "the spirit of truth". Christians who place "feel good" above truth "cannot accept [the spirit of truth], because [they] neither see [the spirit of truth] nor know [the spirit of truth]".
  11. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    11 Oct '18 22:51
    @chaney3 said

Be careful how you talk about God’s people, if you are going condemn someone for the things they say, your words better be flawless. Another thing if you reject and condemn their interpretation of scripture you better be flawless.

We all have faults and screw things up, so show grace and mercy so you to can receive God’s grace and mercy. If you study the scripture in prayer ask God for mercies and wisdom.

Don’t be so hard hearted! The God you are talking about is not against you!
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    12 Oct '18 00:00
    @kellyjay said
    Be careful how you talk about God’s people, if you are going condemn someone for the things they say, your words better be flawless. Another thing if you reject and condemn their interpretation of scripture you better be flawless.

We all have faults and screw things up, so show grace and mercy so you to can receive God’s grace and mercy. If you study the scripture in pray ...[text shortened]... r mercies and wisdom.

Don’t be so hard hearted! The God you are talking about is not against you!
    Let me ask you this KellyJay:

Is there anything in the bible that you've determined cannot be from God? Any verses or stories that you think must be written by man, with no possible connection to being inspired by God?

Or do you sincerely believe that every word and story are 'approved' by God?

***because there are some really twisted, perverse things in the bible, and I see no reason why we cannot challenge them.
  13. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    12 Oct '18 00:56
    @chaney3 said
    Do you think people should not "get attacked or lectured when questioning bible interpretation and/or context" then?
  14. Account suspended
    Moves
    12 Oct '18 01:04
    @fmf said
    Do you think people should not "get attacked or lectured when questioning bible interpretation and/or context" then?
    Atheists, agnostic atheists, and ex Christians may still be attacked and lectured. 😀
  15. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    12 Oct '18 01:05
    @chaney3 said
    Atheists, agnostic atheists, and ex Christians may still be attacked and lectured.
    Why?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree