Islam is foul

Islam is foul

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

w

Moves
27 Jul 09

Originally posted by DoctorScribbles
I know. For example, a master was permitted to beat his slave within an inch of his life as long as he didn't die on the spot, merely in virtue of the master/slave relationship between two human beings.

If being a slave was such a good gig, why was Moses so intent on getting his people out of Egypt?
Where in scripture do you find this?

Cape Town

Moves
27 Jul 09

Originally posted by whodey
My only point here is that the laws were put in place to help keep a civil society. You can't then help the fact that society at some point chooses not to become civil. For example, is the society in the states civil? The laws are set in place to make it so, however, our jails are overflowing as people spend less and less time in jail for their crimes.
And there were plenty of laws in place regarding slavery in the states, yet you claim that they were 'very different' with the strong implication that the slavery in the states was in some way much worse. Also we must not forget that there was plenty of other slavery going on throughout the world - not just amongst the Jews, and I am sure there were plenty of examples of slavery just as barbaric as what took place in the US.

The most interesting thing however, is that Christians often claim that we all have an internal moral compass, yet whenever they themselves are forced to defend something in the Bible they throw that compass out the window and make up all sorts of justifications for things that they would otherwise declare despicable.

Ming the Merciless

Royal Oak, MI

Moves
27 Jul 09

Originally posted by whodey
Where in scripture do you find this?
When a man strikes his male or female slave with a rod so hard that the slave dies under his hand, he shall be punished. If, however, the slave survives for a day or two, he is not to be punished, since the slave is his own property. (Exodus 21:20-21)

Do you ever actually read the bible, or do you just hear about it from secondhand sources? Here's some more about the nature of slavery in the bible.

However, you may purchase male or female slaves from among the foreigners who live among you. You may also purchase the children of such resident foreigners, including those who have been born in your land. You may treat them as your property, passing them on to your children as a permanent inheritance. You may treat your slaves like this, but the people of Israel, your relatives, must never be treated this way. (Leviticus 25:44-46)

Foreign born slaves could be treated exactly as African slaves in the antebellum south. Only Hebrews were to be treated like indentured servants. So much for biblical slavery being a kinder and gentler institution.

A fun title

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
27 Jul 09

Originally posted by rwingett
Of course the god of the bible is both the god of Abraham and of the Christian. Christians wrote the New Testament, or course they're going to write it that way. Duh! I'm sure you're familiar with "circular reasoning" by now. You can't use the bible to prove what the bible says is true.
Technically, the New Testament was written by Jews, except for Luke possibly, who may have been a Greek.

"You can't use the bible to prove what the bible says is true."

Why not? How do you know that?
It has never been proven by anyone, including anyone eminently more qualified than anyone posting in this forum, that the Bible is false or contradictory in anyway. The Bible clearly makes the claim that it is what it is. TRUTH.

A fun title

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
27 Jul 09

Originally posted by karoly aczel
I dont want to get too picky but you didn't!
You said you had no time for 'what ifs' .

I have found many a 'meaningful' discussion on here .
The only 'mob hysteria' I've encountered has been from christians.
Sorry. Thats just my reading.

Feel free to point out to me the 'mob hysteria' I've missed. Or anything else for that matter.
"Feel free to point out to me the 'mob hysteria' I've missed. Or anything else for that matter."

Just keep reading.

I've been posting in this forum for nearly three years. I have benefited from it personally, but, in my opinion, not a single issue debated has ever been resolved. I could be wrong, that's just my opinion.

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
27 Jul 09

Originally posted by josephw
[b]"Feel free to point out to me the 'mob hysteria' I've missed. Or anything else for that matter."

Just keep reading.

I've been posting in this forum for nearly three years. I have benefited from it personally, but, in my opinion, not a single issue debated has ever been resolved. I could be wrong, that's just my opinion.[/b]
Were you answering my point?
Sorry I dont understand.

I've been posting on this forum for 3months and all is well.
All things are resolved . We are just ironing out the finer details.
Welcome all to the galactic community!

Ming the Merciless

Royal Oak, MI

Moves
27 Jul 09

Technically, the New Testament was written by Jews, except for Luke possibly, who may have been a Greek.

[b]"You can't use the bible to prove what the bible says is true."

Why not? How do you know that?
It has never been proven by anyone, including anyone eminently more qualified than anyone posting in this forum, that the Bible is false or contradictory in anyway. The Bible clearly makes the claim that it is what it is. TRUTH.[/b]
If you've never found any contradictions in the bible it can only be because you don't know how to read. The bible is full of contradictions, both great and small.

A fun title

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
27 Jul 09

Were you answering my point?
Sorry I dont understand.

I've been posting on this forum for 3months and all is well.
All things are resolved . We are just ironing out the finer details.
Welcome all to the galactic community!
You're ignoring reality.

Just read the last few posts.

A fun title

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
27 Jul 09

If you've never found any contradictions in the bible it can only be because you don't know how to read. The bible is full of contradictions, both great and small.
You know how to read, but you can't see past the end of your nose.

I said it has never been proven that there are any contradictions. That is a fact.

You see contradictions. I see complete harmony.

One of us is blind.

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
27 Jul 09

You're ignoring reality.

Just read the last few posts.
I've read them JW .
You qouted something from me about 'mob hysteria' and said something which I didn't understand . I didn't think it an answer to my point. Perhaps you could re-phrase the situation here?

I most certainly am not ignoring reality.
Just the parts I want to ignore.
(remember you have to acknowledge something b4 you can ignore it!)

Ming the Merciless

Royal Oak, MI

Moves
27 Jul 09

I said it has never been proven that there are any contradictions. That is a fact.

One of us is blind.
The Skeptic's Annotated Bible has compiled a list of 434 contradictions in the bible. Are you claiming that none of these are really contradictions?

http://skepticsannotatedbible.com/contra/by_name.html

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
27 Jul 09

One of us is blind.
There are no contradictions in the bible, eh? What about contradistinctions?
Give it a break JW.

A fun title

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
27 Jul 09

The Skeptic's Annotated Bible has compiled a list of 434 contradictions in the bible. Are you claiming that none of these are really contradictions?

http://skepticsannotatedbible.com/contra/by_name.html
I gotta go now. I'll look this up when I have more time. Then I"ll reply to this. It might be a while. But I'll be back. Lord willing!

A fun title

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
27 Jul 09

There are no contradictions in the bible, eh? What about contradistinctions?
Give it a break JW.
"Give it a break JW."

Not a chance! 🙂

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
27 Jul 09

[b]"Give it a break JW."

Not a chance! 🙂[/b]
Ok then . Persist with the 'harmony' of the bible as you see it.
If you can see harmony in that convoluted book you are a better man than I🙂