Is the Noah's Ark story true?

Is the Noah's Ark story true?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

P

weedhopper

Moves
27 Feb 08

Originally posted by PsychoPawn
Having mans lifespan change from hundreds of years to the documented less than 100 years implies something more than just a flood.

It's currently estimated that man's life expectency without modern medicine (which they didn't have back then obviously) is about 30 years. Why did man's life expectency go down from hundreds to 30? And man's life expectan ...[text shortened]... divine intervention of sorts - or a major change in the way these creatures work and grow.
The answer of why human lifespans diminished significantly has been explained to me as sin. With sin came disease, decay, and a bunch of other unpleasantness.

P

weedhopper

Moves
27 Feb 08

Originally posted by telerion
"God did it. The Bible says it. I believe it."

That's essentially the only "consistent" defense a Noah's Ark literalist can muster.
"and what's wrong with that? I'd ;ike to knowww...'cuz here I go...a-gainnnnn!"

P

weedhopper

Moves
27 Feb 08

Originally posted by KellyJay
Exactly what evidence do you think you should see that you do not?
Kelly
an EX-Cellent Question! As a Christian, I've answered it to my pastor many times--the evidence that I've decided I should see are some bonafide miracles--as they happen. None of the "a sunset is a miracle" stuff--I want the Elijah-kind--where heavens open and fire laps up every drop of water around the altar--lots of bells and whistles. And a BIG post-it note coming thru the atmosphere with God's hand at the other end saying "SEE ? I TOLD YOU!!!"

M
Quis custodiet

ipsos custodes?

Moves
27 Feb 08

As if you know what is likely when it comes to God?
Kelly
Way to miss my point.......

Ok assuming it his true..... You still need 72 breeding pairs to form a stable gene pool..... So either we're all inbred and retarded by the standards of people before the ark.... Or the ark was impossibly big.....

Also 65Ma isn't a man made figure.... Its an independently correlated figure from around 6 different Isotopic systems..... Which have in themselves made predictions about meteors which turned out to be true... Independent observations + accurate predictions = facts..... Also If you don't believe Isotopic dating then for your sake I hope you don't live near a nuclear reactor because they work on the same principal.... Which means from your perspective they don't work.....

M
Quis custodiet

ipsos custodes?

Moves
27 Feb 08

Originally posted by PinkFloyd
The answer of why human lifespans diminished significantly has been explained to me as sin. With sin came disease, decay, and a bunch of other unpleasantness.
So what god is cruel and vengeful enough to punish hundreds of generations of children for the sins of their forefathers?

s

Moves
28 Feb 08

I think not. Even the big boys still xall it the Theory of Evolution, not the "fact" of Evolution.
Evolution is a reality, a fact. It has been seen in the present. Period.

I didn't say "Theory of evolution is a reality".

s

Moves
28 Feb 08

Now that's an answer that explains it all...
But didn't sin come with Adam and Eve in the first place?

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
28 Feb 08

Originally posted by serigado
not in 2k-3k yrs.

And it's not a matter of belief. Evolution is a fact.
I do not care what you think about evolution my views on it are in this
thread, which is I view evolution as what took place after the flood. The
only place I believe we disagree is how much credit we give to that
process within life.
Kelly

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
28 Feb 08

an EX-Cellent Question! As a Christian, I've answered it to my pastor many times--the evidence that I've decided I should see are some bonafide miracles--as they happen. None of the "a sunset is a miracle" stuff--I want the Elijah-kind--where heavens open and fire laps up every drop of water around the altar--lots of bells and whistles. And a BIG post-i ...[text shortened]... coming thru the atmosphere with God's hand at the other end saying "SEE ? I TOLD YOU!!!"
Yea well normally when those things occur is because other things
nasty in nature are taking place too. You really reject the notion of
faith and want God to preform for you?
Kelly

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
28 Feb 08

Originally posted by Mexico
Way to miss my point.......

Ok assuming it his true..... You still need 72 breeding pairs to form a stable gene pool..... So either we're all inbred and retarded by the standards of people before the ark.... Or the ark was impossibly big.....

Also 65Ma isn't a man made figure.... Its an independently correlated figure from around 6 different Isotopic s ...[text shortened]... they work on the same principal.... Which means from your perspective they don't work.....
Again you are assuming the limitations we have today were the same
ones that were taking place then. If for example life spans were that
long it stands to reason within life there were fewer errors in DNA that
could cause issues so the number required for a stable gene pool
would more than likely be much less.
Kelly

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
28 Feb 08
2 edits

So what god is cruel and vengeful enough to punish hundreds of generations of children for the sins of their forefathers?
Your not going to stand before God and be punished for your
forfathers sins, but your own. The issue we found ourselves in was
that are forfathers put us in a place we have to deal with sin and
death. Before you get bent out of shape over that, it is still taking
place today, fathers and mothers pushing their life styles upon their
kids from drugs to sex to all kinds of their forms of paths within life
that will scar their kids.

The thing you should be asking is why God bothered to make a way
for everyone to be saved that wanted to come to God!
Kelly

M
Quis custodiet

ipsos custodes?

Moves
28 Feb 08

Again you are assuming the limitations we have today were the same
ones that were taking place then. If for example life spans were that
long it stands to reason within life there were fewer errors in DNA that
could cause issues so the number required for a stable gene pool
would more than likely be much less.
Kelly
What are you referring to with lifespans? I missed that....
And your point is generally invalid also... The defects come from a lack of genetic diversity not from errors in the DNA....

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
28 Feb 08

What are you referring to with lifespans? I missed that....
And your point is generally invalid also... The defects come from a lack of genetic diversity not from errors in the DNA....
Lack of genetic diversity such as today brothers and sisters off spring
would generally have off spring that more tha likely would have issues
correct?
Kelly

P

Moves
28 Feb 08

Originally posted by shavixmir
Oh. I stand corrected.

According to Wikipedia:

Estimates put the total number of species, described and undescribed, at between 5 and 8 million.

That means between 10 and 16 million (two of each kind) aboard the Arc...
God shrank them to 1 millionth of their normal size and put them into a state of suspended animation.

Come on, I thought that everybody knew that.

Cape Town

Moves
28 Feb 08

Genesis 1

29 And God said, Behold, I have given you every herb yielding seed, which is upon the face of all the earth, and every tree, in which is the fruit of a tree yielding seed; to you it shall be for food:

30 and to every beast of the earth, and to every bird of the heavens, and to everything that creepeth upon the earth, wherein there is life, ...[text shortened]... made, and, behold, it was very good. And there was evening and there was morning, the sixth day.
So are you going to answer the question or just quote some Bible verses at me in the hope I will go away? Or do you think that there is an answer in those verses? If so, I am sorry, but I don't own a Secret Decoder ring and as hard as I try I cant see how those verses are even remotely relevant to my question.