Is plagiarizing a sin? For you theists out there.

Is plagiarizing a sin? For you theists out there.

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
27 Sep 13

It is just simple theft or is there more to it from a theological viewpoint?

http://www.thepassivevoice.com/02/2012/i-am-a-thief-a-plagiarist-i-am-not-an-author/

j

Dublin Ireland

Moves
27 Sep 13

Originally posted by sonhouse

http://www.thepassivevoice.com/02/2012/i-am-a-thief-a-plagiarist-i-am-not-an-author/
Theft is theft.

Plain and simple.

It doesn't matter what gets stolen.

Thieves are the lowest of the low.

I would give them the death penalty.

Failing that I would make sure that the prison they are in was not a holiday camp.

Ro

Moves
27 Sep 13

Whilst the theists ponder this, it brings to mind the story of the enthusiastic undergraduate who presents his essay to his professor for marking.

It comes back with 'All excellent, apart from one small punctuation error.'

He turns to his professor and asks him what silly mistake he made.

'Oh' muses the don ' I thought it was obvious. You just forgot the quotation marks at the beginning and the end.'

FL

Moves
27 Sep 13

Thanks for posting that interesting link sonhouse. I suppose that Kristal Singletary woman got some sort of kick from passing off stories that she liked as her own, a bit like those players on this site who pass off the work of Fritz and Houdini as their own.

I guess if you're not very good at anything and perhaps come from a family of losers and deadbeats, then you'll resort to anything to get a bit of respect from people, even if you know, deep down, that it's thoroughly undeserved. A better path would be to actually achieve something through hard work and dedication.

Moves
27 Sep 13

It's not really theological, it's more of a moral question. But theft is theft.

You see it here in the forum quite often, especially from the Jehovah's Witneses, dasa and RJHinds who plagarise frequently and have been repeatedly called out over it.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
27 Sep 13

Originally posted by Fat Lady
Thanks for posting that interesting link sonhouse. I suppose that Kristal Singletary woman got some sort of kick from passing off stories that she liked as her own, a bit like those players on this site who pass off the work of Fritz and Houdini as their own.

I guess if you're not very good at anything and perhaps come from a family of losers and deadbea ...[text shortened]... deserved. A better path would be to actually achieve something through hard work and dedication.
There is this song by Tom Lehrer, Lobachevsky:

Don't let anything evade your eyes, but PLAGAIRIZE PLAGAIRIZE PLAGAIRIZE!

FL

Moves
27 Sep 13

I found a competition that Kristal Singletary won back in 2007:
http://valleyofthesunrw.com/hot-prospects-contest/previous-contest-winners/

Division: ROMANTIC SUSPENSE
1st Place: Wilderness Mafia by Kristal Hinds Singletary
I suppose the story that won that competition might have been her own work, but I'd be inclined to think not.

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
27 Sep 13

Originally posted by johnnylongwoody
Theft is theft.

Plain and simple.

Failing that I would make sure that the prison they are in was not a holiday camp.
For if ye forgive men their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you: But if ye forgive not men their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses. (Matthew 6:14-15 KJV)http://www.redhotpawn.com/board/newthread.php?forumid=23

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
27 Sep 13
1 edit

Of all the sins mentioned in the Bible, this one will be considered too petty to even call a sin. It is the one that Christ would have a good laugh at and shake his head with disbelief that people make such a big fuss over that when they commit greater sins without batting an eyelid.

If anyone thinks a sin is a sin and all are ranked equally is a moron.

Moves
27 Sep 13
1 edit

Originally posted by Rajk999
Of all the sins mentioned in the Bible, this one will be considered too petty to even call a sin. It is the one that Christ would have a good laugh at and shake his head with disbelief that people make such a big fuss over that when they commit greater sins without batting an eyelid.

If anyone thinks a sin is a sin and all are ranked equally is a moron.
What sins are justified in the quest to save a soul?

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
27 Sep 13

Originally posted by JS357
What sins are justified in the quest to save a soul?
Im not sure that there is such a thing as a justifiable sin in the Bible. There are understandable sins and forgiveable sins and petty sins.

MC

Moves
27 Sep 13

Originally posted by johnnylongwoody
Theft is theft.

Plain and simple.

Doesn't the bible say something about making theifs work for what they stole instead of imprisoning them?

Moves
27 Sep 13

Im not sure that there is such a thing as a justifiable sin in the Bible. There are understandable sins and forgiveable sins and petty sins.
Maybe we can explore it this way:

What sins are understandable or forgivable, or can be regarded as petty, if committed in the quest to save a soul?

Behind this question is the thought that saving a soul has been held to be of such value by some, that pretty intense things have been done for its sake.

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
27 Sep 13
1 edit

Originally posted by MISTER CHESS
Doesn't the bible say something about making theifs work for what they stole instead of imprisoning them?
Now that makes sense and it is part of the Law of Moses. For anyone to think that theft deserves the death penalty they have to be pretty sick.

S
Caninus Interruptus

Moves
27 Sep 13

I would think that you can steal some food that isn't yours if you're starving to death. I would call that justifiable theft.