Moves
    27 Sep '13 18:07
    Originally posted by johnnylongwoody
    Theft is theft.

Plain and simple.

It doesn't matter what gets stolen.

Thieves are the lowest of the low.

I would give them the death penalty.

Failing that I would make sure that the prison they are in was not a holiday camp.
    Death for thieves. Wow. Isn't that a bit overboard? What punishment would you save for the REAL bad crimes? Raping a 3 Y0, what, drawn and quartered? Put in the roman bull oven? What about the old debtors prison thing in the UK a couple hundred years ago. Was that just? The thing that got me about that was, if he was free to work, the dude could begin to pay off the debt, but in prison, just exactly how do you pay off a debt? Does serving the sentence mean you are now forgiven of the debt? Not sure how that was supposed to work.
  2. PenTesting
    Moves
    27 Sep '13 18:15
    Originally posted by JS357
    Maybe we can explore it this way:

What sins are understandable or forgivable, or can be regarded as petty, if committed in the quest to save a soul?

Behind this question is the thought that saving a soul has been held to be of such value by some, that pretty intense things have been done for its sake.
    If you keep talking and tell me more of what you are thinking it will help my brain to remember some of what the bible says about it. So far all I have is :

Jas 5:20 Let him know, that he which converteth the sinner from the error of his way shall save a soul from death, and shall hide a multitude of sins.

This verse can be interpreted to mean that your own sins would be overlooked if you convert a sinner. Im not sure exactly which ones as the concept of unforgivable sins exist.
  3. PenTesting
    Moves
    27 Sep '13 18:161 edit
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    I would think that you can steal some food that isn't yours if you're starving to death. I would call that justifiable theft.
    Thats one example. Sinning to save the life of your family might be another .. I mean not necessarily food.
  4. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    27 Sep '13 23:07
    Originally posted by Rajk999
    Thats one example. Sinning to save the life of your family might be another .. I mean not necessarily food.
    I wonder what RJ Hinds would think about this situation?
  5. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    27 Sep '13 23:241 edit
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    It is just simple theft or is there more to it from a theological viewpoint?

http://www.thepassivevoice.com/02/2012/i-am-a-thief-a-plagiarist-i-am-not-an-author/
    Exodus 20:15 NAS
    New American Standard

"You shall not steal."

Edit: Includes the Intellectual Property of another person.
  6. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    28 Sep '13 01:08
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    New American Standard

"You shall not steal."

So what is stealing is left to Caesar to define?
  7. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    28 Sep '13 01:16
    New American Standard

"You shall not steal."

Where does it say it includes intellectual property?
  8. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    28 Sep '13 02:361 edit
    Originally posted by JS357
    So what is stealing is left to Caesar to define?
    Your logic escapes: The Ten Commandments Codex was given to Moses by Jehovah (YHWH) God in the Old Testament. Caesar ruled during New Testament Times. In the USA, our Constitution provides for the protection of a citizen's "life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness" (inclusive of the citizen's family, home and property) as I understand its provisions.
  9. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    28 Sep '13 02:591 edit

Where does it say it includes intellectual property?
    We know each other too well to play semantic games. We both know that rulings have come down in the defense of intellectual property (a unique work product that has tangible and/or intangible value to the individual who conceived and executed a concept or idea), especially with inventions and in scientific, medical, academic, entertainment and literary fields.

If you were to compose a musical score which you posted to an internet site, which I subsequently copied and posted to some other site with the name Robert ______ beneath it without your permission: I would be guilty of deceptive and malicious subterfuge in the theft (by reason of an act of plagiarism) of property belonging to a friend. "Thou Shall Not Steal", I take seriously in both the spirit and letter of the law. There's nothing unclear about the meaning of "Steal" or Stealing in either my vocabulary storage or forehead. Today. Or ever. Best I can do, sonhouse. Love your music, by the way. -Bob
  10. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    28 Sep '13 03:32
    We know each other too well to play semantic games. We both know that rulings have come down in the defense of intellectual property (a unique work product that has tangible and/or intangible value to the individual who conceived and executed a concept or idea), especially with inventions and in scientific, medical, academic, entertainment and literary ...[text shortened]... storage or forehead. Today. Or ever. Best I can do, sonhouse. Love your music, by the way. -Bob
    Thanks! I should have been more clear, I meant where in the bible does it say theft of intellectual property is a sin? Sure, we know well what it means today but back then there weren't that many literate people, wasn't Jesus illiterate? I guess that meant a smaller club and maybe they knew each other and would have known if someone stole your writings.
  11. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    28 Sep '13 04:48

http://www.thepassivevoice.com/02/2012/i-am-a-thief-a-plagiarist-i-am-not-an-author/
    I think this may be her attempt to impress her mother who loves romance books.

The Instructor
  12. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    28 Sep '13 05:04

Did not go to the link, but I view it as two things, stealing something
    that does not belong to you, and lying about you doing the work, both
    of which are sins.
    Kelly
  13. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    28 Sep '13 05:07
    Your logic escapes: The Ten Commandments Codex was given to Moses by Jehovah (YHWH) God in the Old Testament. Caesar ruled during New Testament Times. In the USA, our Constitution provides for the protection of a citizen's "life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness" (inclusive of the citizen's family, home and property) as I understand its provisions.
    So it is in he usa (and every other country) to define.
  14. Cape Town
    Moves
    28 Sep '13 05:58
    New American Standard

"You shall not steal."

But not apparently other peoples land. God then proceeded to instruct the Israelites to go and steal what is now Israel off its former owners.
  15. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    28 Sep '13 12:43
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    I think this may be her attempt to impress her mother who loves romance books.

The Instructor
    Her mother? Who is this person, do you know her?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree