If the flood happened, why are the oceans salty?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moves
03 Jun 12
1 edit

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
Only in the respect that we are both original thinkers, his field was physics, mine is
conceptual art.
Only in the respect that we are both original thinkers, his field was physics, mine is
conceptual art.

Methinks that to some people who preach here, "...all of the planning and decisions are made beforehand and the execution is a perfunctory affair."
-- Sol Lewitt, "Paragraphs on Conceptual Art", Artforum, June 1967.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conceptual_art

h

Moves
03 Jun 12
1 edit

you dont care? ouch, arrow to the heart or what? when i am collecting my Nobel prize
for science, then you will be forced to acknowledge my special theory of hydrothermal
vents.
when i am collecting my Nobel prize for science,

LOL.

I have to hand it to you, your delusions have balls.

h

Moves
03 Jun 12
7 edits

On the contrary i have found evidence that magnesium gets filtered by some elements
in the sedimentary rocks, all I need to do is get the Proff to admit that pollutants would
be vitrified and i am vindicated! Fandango theory? sigh its lamentable that great theories
like Einsteins and mine are condemned to obscurity when first published by an ...[text shortened]... c.

the fact of the matter is dear PK, the ocean filters pollutants, even airborne pollutants.
On the contrary i have found evidence that magnesium gets filtered by some elements
in the sedimentary rocks

magnesium is not a common natural airborne pollutant.
At best, only tiny trace amounts of the magnesium in the sea would come from the atmosphere perhaps blown up by the wind in, say, some magnesium-laden dust and that doesn't happen often.
The vast bulk if magnesium in sea water come from that released into river water by the weathering of rocks on land plus coastal erosion on the sea shore and was never in the atmosphere in any significant amounts compared to the amounts from other sources.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
04 Jun 12

The orignal question has been answered.

ANSWER: There are many large salt deposits in the oceans

V

Windsor, Ontario

Moves
04 Jun 12

Originally posted by RJHinds
The orignal question has been answered.
[b]If the flood happened, why are the oceans salty?

ANSWER: There are many large salt deposits in the oceans[/b]
that's a wrong answer. there are no "large salt deposits in the oceans"
the salt in the oceans is dissolved in the water.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
04 Jun 12

Originally posted by VoidSpirit
that's a wrong answer. there are no "large salt deposits in the oceans"
the salt in the oceans is dissolved in the water.
That is why the Oceans are salty.

One finds rock salt deposits ringing dry lake beds, inland marginal seas, and enclosed bays and estuaries in arid regions of the world. At various times in the geologic past, very large bodies of water (such as the Mediterranean Sea and an old ocean that sat where the Atlantic Ocean sits now) also evaporated and made enormous deposits of rock salt. These deposits were later burried by marine sediments, but since halite is less dense than the materials that make up the overlying sediments, the salt beds often "punched up" through the sediments to create dome-like structures. These are now mostly burried by additional sediments.

http://www.soest.hawaii.edu/GG/ASK/rocksalt.html

h

Moves
04 Jun 12
2 edits

[b]That is why the Oceans are salty.

One finds rock salt deposits ringing dry lake beds, inland marginal seas, and enclosed bays and estuaries in arid regions of the world. At various times in the geologic past, very large bodies of water (such as the Mediterranean Sea and an old ocean that sat where the Atlantic Ocean sits now) also evaporated and ma ow mostly burried by additional sediments.

http://www.soest.hawaii.edu/GG/ASK/rocksalt.html[/b]
you said “There are many large salt deposits IN the oceans” (my emphasis)
none of the salt deposits you speak of here are IN the ocean.

Also, how does salt deposits explain why the oceans are salty?

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
04 Jun 12
1 edit

Originally posted by humy
you said “There are many large salt deposits IN the oceans” (my emphasis)
none of the salt deposits you speak of here are IN the ocean.

Also, how does salt deposits explain why the oceans are salty?
Can't you read? Here it is again:
"At various times in the geologic past, very large bodies of water (such as the Mediterranean Sea and an old ocean that sat where the Atlantic Ocean sits now) also evaporated and made enormous deposits of rock salt. These deposits were later burried by marine sediments, but since halite is less dense than the materials that make up the overlying sediments, the salt beds often "punched up" through the sediments to create dome-like structures. These are now mostly burried by additional sediments.

Much of this salt dissolved into the waters of the Oceans and seas. Therefore, the seas and oceans are salty.

http://geology.about.com/od/salt/a/aboutsalt.htm

You do know there are mountain ridges under the ocean, right?

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
04 Jun 12

"At various times in the geologic past, very large bodies of water (such as the Mediterranean Sea and an old [b]ocean
that sat where the Atlantic Ocean sits now) also evaporated and made enormous deposits of rock salt. These deposits were later burried by marine sediments, but since halite is less dense t ...[text shortened]... olved into the waters of the Oceans and seas. Therefore, the seas and oceans are salty.[/b][/b]
And SO amazing it all happened in 10,000 years or less!

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
04 Jun 12

Originally posted by sonhouse
And SO amazing it all happened in 10,000 years or less!
Exactly.

h

Moves
05 Jun 12
2 edits

"At various times in the geologic past, very large bodies of water (such as the Mediterranean Sea and an old [b]ocean
that sat where the Atlantic Ocean sits now) also evaporated and made enormous deposits of rock salt. These deposits were later burried by marine sediments, but since halite is less dense t com/od/salt/a/aboutsalt.htm

You do know there are mountain ridges under the ocean, right?[/b]
So? so what? That doesn't contradict the fact I pointed out nor answers my question.

Where does it say/imply there that there are salt deposits in the ocean as you claim? Please highlight exactly where....

Also, how does salt deposits explain why the oceans are salty? Please highlight exactly where it specifically says/implies that salt deposits explain why the oceans are salty....

Obviously, it was not the presence of salt deposits that caused the sea to be salty but rather the sea being salty that, combined with other conditions, caused the salt deposits to form. So salt deposits cannot explain why the oceans are salty but salty oceans explains the salt deposits - your reasoning is all back-to-front.

You do know there are mountain ridges under the ocean, right?

yes, so what? There are no salt deposits there. Are you now claiming that there are salt deposits in the mountain ridges under the ocean? 😛 -if so, how would they get there without the evaporation of salty water? I mean, how would sea water evaporate to form salt deposits on the mountains ridges which are always UNDER the ocean?
Please show a link that shows there are salt deposits in the mountain ridges under the ocean....

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
05 Jun 12

So? so what? That doesn't contradict the fact I pointed out nor answers my question.

Where does it say/imply there that there are salt deposits in the ocean as you claim? Please highlight exactly where....

Also, how does salt deposits explain why the oceans are salty? Please highlight exactly where it specifically says/implies that salt deposits explain w ...[text shortened]... lease show a link that shows there are salt deposits in the mountain ridges under the ocean....
I don't know why you refuse to read my links:

Salt is the only mineral that people eat—the only dietary mineral that's a real mineral. It's a commonplace substance sought after by animals and humans since the beginning. Salt comes from the sea and from solid layers underground, and that's all most of us need to know. But if you're curious, let's go a bit deeper into the subject.

The Truth About Sea Salt

The sea collects salt, as we all know, but in fact that isn't really true. In truth, the sea only collects the ingredients of salt. Here's how that works.

The sea takes in dissolved matter from two sources, rivers that enter it and volcanic activity on the seafloor. The rivers provide mainly ions—unpaired atoms with a lack or an excess of electrons—from the weathering of rocks. The major ions are various silicates, various carbonates, plus the alkali metals sodium, calcium and potassium. The seafloor volcanoes provide mainly hydrogen and chloride ions. All of these mix and match: sea organisms build shells from calcium carbonate and silica, clay minerals take up potassium, the hydrogen is snapped up in lots of different places. After all the electron swapping is done, sodium ion (from rivers) and chloride ion (from volcanoes) are the two survivors.

Water loves these two ions and can hold large amounts of them in solution. But when sodium and chloride become concentrated enough they form an association and drop out of the water—precipitate—as solid salt, sodium chloride, the mineral halite. When we taste salt, our tongues are instantly dissolving it into sodium and chloride ions again.

Salt Tectonics

Halite is a very delicate mineral that way. It doesn't last long on the Earth's surface, unless water never touches it. Salt is also physically weak. Under quite moderate pressure, rock salt—the stone composed of halite—flows much like ice. The dry Zagros Mountains, in the Iranian desert, feature some notable salt glaciers. So does the continental slope of the Gulf of Mexico, where there's so much buried salt that it can emerge faster than the sea dissolves it.

Besides flowing downward as glaciers, salt can rise upward into overlying rock beds as buoyant, balloon-shaped bodies. These salt domes are widespread in the south-central United States, for example. They're noteworthy because often petroleum rises along with them, making them attractive drilling targets. They are also handy for mining salt.

Salt beds are forming today in playas and larger isolated mountain basins like the Great Salt Lake of Utah or the Salar de Uyuni of Bolivia. (In those places, the chloride comes from land volcanism.) But the large underground salt beds that are mined in many countries formed at sea level, in a very different setting from today's world.

Why Salt Exists Above Sea Level

Most of the land we live on today is only temporarily above sea level because the ice of Antarctica is holding so much water out of the ocean. Over all of geologic history, on average, the sea sits as much as 200 meters higher than today. And in the shallow, flat-bottomed seas that normally cover much of the continents, subtle vertical crustal motions can isolate large areas of water that dry up and precipitate their salt. Once formed, these salt beds can be easily covered by limestone or shale and preserved. In a few million years, maybe less, this natural salt harvest might start happening again.

PS: The thick salt beds under southern Poland have been mined for many centuries. Today, the great Wieliczka mine, with its chandeliered salt ballrooms and carved salt chapels, is a world-class tourist attraction. Other salt mines are doing the same—changing their image from the worst kind of workplaces to magical subterranean playgrounds. Visit the Salt links list for more.

The above is from my previous link. Read it and use what common sense you may have to try to understand what it is saying.

h

Moves
05 Jun 12
1 edit

I don't know why you refuse to read my links:

Salt is the only mineral that people eat—the only dietary mineral that's a real mineral. It's a commonplace substance sought after by animals and humans since the beginning. Salt comes from the sea and from solid layers underground, and that's all most of us need to know. But if you're curious, let's go a bit d it and use what common sense you may have to try to understand what it is saying.
Totally irrelevant.

Again, nothing you say there explains how nor why there are salt deposits in the ocean as you claim -there are none in the ocean.

And nothing you say there explains why specifically "salt deposits" “explains” why there is salt in the ocean as you claim -the salt in the sea originated from that released by the erosion of rocks etc.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
05 Jun 12

Totally irrelevant.

Again, nothing you say there explains how nor why there are salt deposits in the ocean as you claim -there are none in the ocean.

And nothing you say there explains why specifically "salt deposits" “explains” why there is salt in the ocean as you claim -the salt in the sea originated from that released by the erosion of rocks etc.
Well, the oceans are salty, right? 😏

h

Moves
05 Jun 12

Well, the oceans are salty, right? 😏
so?