If god then ...

If god then ...

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
15 May 14

Originally posted by wolfgang59
OMG
After all that and you still don't understand!!!

[b]THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH THE LOGIC

You are just inviting insults![/b]
You mean you did not use that faulty logic on purpose?

D
Dasa

Brisbane Qld

Moves
15 May 14

Originally posted by FabianFnas
Perhaps you have an answer to the question: "What is the cause of god?"

Because if you don't then also your religion is based upon paradoxes and has no values.
I will say it again slowly......

The qualification to be God among many other qualifications is that God must not have a cause thus being causeless.

Because God has no cause and is causeless he qualifies to be God.

There is no other ""thing" that is causeless other than God.

If you search and find God and he has a cause, then he is a counterfeit God and you can begin your search again.

The qualification for God to be God is causlessness.

So you cannot ask the true god what caused him..............because it would mean you are simply being argumentative and insincere..

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
15 May 14

Originally posted by Dasa
I will say it again slowly......

The qualification to be God among many other qualifications is that God must not have a cause thus being causeless.

Because God has no cause and is causeless he qualifies to be God.

There is no other ""thing" that is causeless other than God.

If you search and find God and he has a cause, then he is a counterfeit God ...[text shortened]... caused him..............because it would mean you are simply being argumentative and insincere..
I would rather that my God have a cause. A god without a cause is no god to me.

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
15 May 14

Originally posted by RJHinds
The LOGIC is not faulty - if you think it is then demonstrate it.

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
15 May 14
1 edit

I would rather that my God have a cause.
A god without a cause is no god to me.
I would rather I had a smaller waist and a bigger wallet.
But neither is the case.

P

Moves
15 May 14
1 edit

What faulty logic?! There is nothing wrong with the logic

You can disagree with the two premises but that does not mean that the logic is faulty. The conclusion does follow from the premises so if the premises are true then the conclusion will also be true. If they are false then the conclusion does not follow and might be false.

I don't believe your issue is with the logic. I think it is with one of the premises. I am guessing it is with the first one but you need to say that and then explain why you think the premise is false.

--- Penguin.

Cape Town

Moves
15 May 14

Originally posted by Penguin
I don't believe your issue is with the logic. I think it is with one of the premises.
His issue is with:
1. The fact that he doesn't know what 'logic' is.
2. The conclusion conflicts with his belief.

A fun title

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
15 May 14

https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com

log·ic [loj-ik]
noun
the science that investigates the principles governing correct or reliable inference.
a particular method of reasoning or argumentation: We were unable to follow his logic.
the system or principles of reasoning applicable to any branch of knowledge or study.
reason or sound judgment, as in utterances or actions: There wasn't much logic in her move.
convincing forcefulness; inexorable truth or persuasiveness: the irresistible logic of the facts.

You guys think YOU know what logic is, but you sure don't know how to use it! You followed a form of logic in the opening post, but it demonstrates faulty reasoning, therefore it is void of meaning and not logical at all. imo

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
16 May 14

Originally posted by josephw
...and not logical at all. imo
Oh dear - all of the internet to research LOGIC and you still don't get it. 😞

Logic IS NOT DEBATABLE.

Stating something as "not logical" and "imo" is ridiculous -
opinion does not matter!

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
16 May 14
2 edits

Originally posted by wolfgang59
The LOGIC is not faulty - if you think it is then demonstrate it.
Only if your meaning for cause is purpose. But we both know that was not your meaning. I already demonstrated it by restating it correctly like this:

First, it should be that everything that came to exist has a cause.
Second, God did not come to exist, but always existed.
Third, therefore God was uncaused.

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
16 May 14

Only if your meaning for cause is purpose. But we both know that was not your meaning. I already demonstrated it by restating it correctly like this:

You can't even get that right!

Spot the LOGICAL flaw in your argument?

P

Moves
16 May 14

Right, so your problem, as we have been saying, not with the logic but with the truth of the two premises (or rather the first premise).

You assert that it is not true that 'everything that exists has a cause'. I agree with that since there are at least two things that we are not aware of causes for: the appearance of particles in a vacuum, the universe, and possibly God (if he exists).

You agree with premise two: 'God exists' but if premise one is false then premise two is irrelevant.

Your re-phrasing of the argument unfortunately has a flaw.

Your premise 1 is fine:
Everything that comes to exist has a cause although I don't think it is actually true. See 'quantum fluctuations'.

Your premise 2 is also fine:
God did not come to exist, but always existed although again I don't think it is actually true.

Unfortunately your conclusion:
therefore God was uncaused
does not logically follow from your two premises. You cannot say for certain that God was uncaused purely based on (1) and (2) since (1) does not say anything about whether things which did not 'come to exist' have a cause.

There is nothing logically wrong with the OP but there is with your version.

--- Penguin.

Cape Town

Moves
16 May 14
1 edit

Originally posted by josephw
1. the science that investigates the principles governing correct or reliable inference.

You guys think YOU know what logic is, but you sure don't know how to use it! You followed a form of logic in the opening post, but it demonstrates faulty reasoning, therefore it is void of meaning and not logical at all. imo
The use of the word in this thread is definition 1.
The OP, does contain correct and reliable inference.

inference
noun
a conclusion reached on the basis of evidence and reasoning.

You may however dispute the evidence. If so, please take the time to do so, instead of incorrectly attaching the logic.

P

Moves
16 May 14

Originally posted by twhitehead
The use of the word in this thread is definition 1.
The OP, does contain correct and reliable inference.

inference
noun
a conclusion reached on the basis of evidence and reasoning.

You may however dispute the evidence. If so, please take the time to do so, instead of incorrectly attaching the logic.
Looks like they have given up (of course they would not actually admit they made a mistake and attacked the wrong aspect of the argument, they just stop posting and hope we don't notice)

I find it odd that even though the premises have obvious flaws that can be argued, they never explicitly do so, always claiming that the logic is at fault. Even when they finally give valid arguments against the premises, they still claim that the problem is a logical one.

Most peculiar.

--- Penguin.

Cape Town

Moves
16 May 14

Originally posted by Penguin
Most peculiar.
I think the problem is that premise 1., is a pet premise for the 'God exists' argument, so if they attack that, they will be admitting they were wrong about that argument.
They obviously can't attack premise 2.