If God Appeared To You

If God Appeared To You

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
26 Mar 18

Originally posted by @karoly-aczel
Looks like my big mouth is going to get me into trouble again. I did answer the OP honestly though

Just think , some serial paedophile destroying the innocent . This is a nasty can of worms , bro
Well in that case I might be inclined to obey without questioning.

Moves
26 Mar 18

Originally posted by @ghost-of-a-duke
Sorry, but you 'went there' when you made the rather odd statement that God commanding to kill may be a sign of dementia, and that was 'how dementia works'. - I worked many years with sufferers of dementia and Alzheimer's and never encountered anyone who believed God had commanded them to kill anybody.
That’s a perspective I didn’t consider. Thanks.

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
26 Mar 18

Originally posted by @js357
That’s a perspective I didn’t consider. Thanks.
No problem dude.

Moves
26 Mar 18
3 edits

Originally posted by @rajk999
The decision to continue without questioning or resisting this kind of command is what God is probably looking at. God does not like mindless followers, but would rather followers who can think.

The mindless sychopant type of follower v the follower with a conscience are the two types. The first type with say 'ok fine', no questions asked. The second typ ...[text shortened]... forgiveness.

God does in fact respect the strong willed and great thinkers of the human race.
I took your “.. and you are convinced that He is who He says He is,” in the OP as definitive of belief. I took “convinced” to mean after considering all the information presented in the hypothetical. If the command to kill shook the strength of the conviction, that should be mentioned in the hypothetical, whereupon, as some have rightly said, it collapses. Which it did, for some of us. IMO it becomes a trick question.

And we save a lot of time.

Edit. Now my take on it would be to have my head examined.

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
26 Mar 18

I took your “.. and you are convinced that He is who He says He is,” in the OP as definitive of belief. I took “convinced” to mean after considering all the information presented in the hypothetical. If the command to kill shook the strength of the conviction, that should be mentioned in the hypothetical, whereupon, as some have rightly said, it collapses. Wh ...[text shortened]... ion.

And we save a lot of time.

Edit. Now my take on it would be to have my head examined.
Yes, the being appeared and you are convinced that he is God. Maybe he took you on a journey throughout the universe and showed you stuff scientists only dream of seeing .. whatever it is .. you are convinced that this is in fact God.

Obedience to this command to kill should not be a foregone conclusion unless the human in question has no conviction of right and wrong, which I already mentioned.

Secret RHP coder

on the payroll

Moves
26 Mar 18

If it's really God, and he wants someone dead, he can do it. Problem solved.

Moves
26 Mar 18

Actually in Genesis 22, Abraham was told that this son would be the father of great nations and he was aware of the power of God and decided that God could easily raise back his son from the dead. His decision to continue and to obey was influenced by that knowledge. The hypothetical has no such similarities.
That prophesy for the son was announced after the test was called off, not before. Are you saying that Abraham did not fully expect to sacrifice his son?

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
26 Mar 18

Originally posted by @bigdoggproblem
If it's really God, and he wants someone dead, he can do it. Problem solved.
Probably .. but sometimes he tests people.
I guess people do it too.

Über-Nerd

Moves
26 Mar 18

Originally posted by @divegeester
In the scenario the state of righteousness is variable and depends on perpsoective. God may think it righteous to commit murder, I do not. So if I was asked by god to commit murder I wouldn’t. You would, which I find a little odd.
You have shifted the goals posts here. The OP does not suppose that God has commanded you to commit murder, but to kill someone. Murder is by definition wrong. Killing someone is not.

Über-Nerd

Moves
26 Mar 18

Of course I would try to obey, and the identity of the person I was to kill would not matter.
What if the person God told you to kill was yourself?

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
26 Mar 18

That prophesy for the son was announced after the test was called off, not before. Are you saying that Abraham did not fully expect to sacrifice his son?
No. Read Gen 21.the events before this test. Isaac was the seed called to father the nation of Israel and the line of Christ. I think Abraham knew it was a test. He told Isaac that God will provide a lamb for the sacrifice, and that is exactly what happened.

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
26 Mar 18
2 edits

We are all born with a duty to worship and obey God, who is all-knowing and loving — or we would be if there were one. That’s why. And, from my position it is easier to accept a hypothetical for the purpose of exploring the idea of God, than it is, apparently, for believers.
“We are all born with a duty to worship and obey God...”
No we aren’t, not from a Christian perspective anyway. Where did you get that from?

“And, from my position it is easier to accept a hypothetical for the purpose of exploring the idea of God, than it is, apparently, for believers.”
We are not exploring the “idea of god”,we are exploring the idea of morality and independent thought.

My question to you again...is why would you chose to kill rather than disobey god?

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
26 Mar 18

Originally posted by @suzianne
Very funny.

Up to this year, you didn't even believe in God, and from what I've seen in this thread since then, you still don't.

Your post is moot.
God believes in me

Your opinion has been noted

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
26 Mar 18
1 edit

The decision to continue without questioning or resisting this kind of command is what God is probably looking at. God does not like mindless followers, but would rather followers who can think.

The mindless sychopant type of follower v the follower with a conscience are the two types. The first type with say 'ok fine', no questions asked. The second typ ...[text shortened]... forgiveness.

God does in fact respect the strong willed and great thinkers of the human race.
God likes mindful followers, those that row their own boats. The mindless ones get hurt quick

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
26 Mar 18

Originally posted by @ghost-of-a-duke
Sorry, but you 'went there' when you made the rather odd statement that God commanding to kill may be a sign of dementia, and that was 'how dementia works'. - I worked many years with sufferers of dementia and Alzheimer's and never encountered anyone who believed God had commanded them to kill anybody.
Maybe they didn't want to admit that