I am ready when you are.

I am ready when you are.

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

m
Ajarn

Wat?

Moves
16 Oct 11

Originally posted by sumydid
I *would* go back and capture all your snide remarks but alas, I'm too old for that stuff anymore. The people can judge for themselves.

Meanwhile, keep making your stand. I support your right to do so.
Alas, this is the internet and there will always be *snide* remarks.

I'm glad you act manfully enough to accept my presence. That's kind.

-m.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
16 Oct 11

Originally posted by mikelom
I have said nothing contrary to that. If I didn't believe that then I wouldn't be posting here!

There are those who are kind and nice that don't believe in God too.

Seems the current condition of this forum for the last six months, reading back, appears to be that atheists are a bunch of losers, so I therefore make a stand.
I hate to fall into your trap with this response, but yes, atheists are losers.

But the thing is, what they've lost is the Kingdom of God.

No, lost is the wrong word. Thrown away is more like it.

And in so doing, it's *almost* impossible for them to get it back.

So maybe you're right. We Christians should not be so argumentative with them.

Perhaps pitying them would be better.

Darn, no, that's not quite right either...

s
Aficionado of Prawns

Not of this World

Moves
16 Oct 11

I wouldn't tend to think that by supporting your right to carry on with your stand against non-Atheists, that I am acting "manful." I'm sure there are women also whom support your right to do so.

Is being "manful" something I should aspire toward? Seems kind of sexist, but that's just an observation.

s
Aficionado of Prawns

Not of this World

Moves
16 Oct 11

Originally posted by Suzianne

My lady.

Atheists are merely potential Christians. They are what we were pre-Conversion.

I rejoice with you in their potential!

🙂

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
16 Oct 11
2 edits

Well, then humor me, please.

Do you believe in God, or not?

And thank you for posting, allowing me to go to the source.
I dont believe in the God depicted by christians. I can accept some concepts of God from the bible metaphorically, the way I intepret it, but a lot of it I cant swallow.

I believe in a god-force type thing that permeates through the whole universe,which cannot be measured or grasped in anyway, and of course all of the known and unknown universes/multiverses and that dreaded dark matter. Everything is "God". But there is no "god" as a separate entitiy apart from creation/reality.

So yes and no. I believe in God but not in the one you subscribe to. They are not even remotely the same idea, so finally I would have to go back to just say "No". No , I dont believe in God.

When talking of spiritual matters I like to reference hindu and buddhist scources, but am not limited by these choices. I do use christian stories when they are apt.

m
Ajarn

Wat?

Moves
16 Oct 11

I gained the Kingdom of Philosophy. Simple as that, and happy where I stand in it. It needs no pity, no judgment nor fear of where it is.

-m. 🙂

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
16 Oct 11

Originally posted by tomtom232
He is Hindu if I have observed correctly. So, no, he is not an atheist.
I have started calling myself a "hindu" for the sake of illustration. I found it more easier to tell people where I was coming from in hinduistic terms than calling myself a "nothing" as I had been up until then. I still am a "nothing" , but for the sake of trying to explain things better, I'm going with Hindu,as they(the hindus) have had the most impact on my life.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
16 Oct 11

Originally posted by mikelom
I gained the Kingdom of Philosophy. Simple as that, and happy where I stand in it. It needs no pity, no judgment nor fear of where it is.

-m. 🙂
So perhaps you are the buddhist and not karoly?

I see my mistake now...

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
16 Oct 11

Originally posted by karoly aczel
I dont believe in the God depicted by christians. I can accept some concepts of God from the bible metaphorically, the way I intepret it, but a lot of it I cant swallow.

I believe in a god-force type thing that permeates through the whole universe,which cannot be measured or grasped in anyway, and of course all of the known and unknown universes/mul ...[text shortened]... ources, but am not limited by these choices. I do use christian stories when they are apt.
I see... I think.

So I can see how you might more closely ally with the Hindu ideas.

Would you yourself call yourself an atheist?

I mean if you believe in a God, but not "my" God, where do you stand?

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
16 Oct 11

Originally posted by sumydid
My lady.

Atheists are merely potential Christians. They are what we were pre-Conversion.

I rejoice with you in their potential!

🙂
No, I would not say that.

Yeah, ok, I can see what you mean about them being "potential" Christians.

But they are NOT what I was pre-conversion.

I believed in God. Yes, the God of Abraham, the God of the Bible.

The God of Moses. The God of the Cecil B. DeMille epic "The Ten Commandments".

You could say I believed in the God of the Old Testament. I had little knowledge of Jesus Christ except that He was the Son of God.

I was led to Christ through some sisters of my sorority in college who were members of Campus Crusade for Christ. It took about a week of talking to them, but it just fell together like pieces of a giant jigsaw puzzle.

I was nothing like an atheist pre-conversion. Not at all.

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
16 Oct 11
1 edit

I see... I think.

So I can see how you might more closely ally with the Hindu ideas.

Would you yourself call yourself an atheist?

I mean if you believe in a God, but not "my" God, where do you stand?
As far as your concerned, and for the sake of clarity AT THIS POINT, you could say that I allign myself with a lot of athiests beliefs (scientific theories).
My version of "creation" does not discount science (ie, the big bang, abiogenisis and evolution)
My version of evolution is acutally "spiritual evolution" , but it contains all the physical proofs that are contained in "science's " theory of evolution.

I like Hindu spiritual ideas because they explain the world to me better than any other.(Also the Hindus have taken care of me when I was down, without any judgement)
But this will not be the same for everyone.

I really have my own religon, which is very like Hinduism, but I am not seeking any converts. The word 'religon' has been tainted and I am trying to use it in a positive way, but so far the only positive way I have been able to use it is to say we all have our own personal "religon" . They are the only religons worth pursuing. Any organized religon,ie.the same idealogy subscribed to by masses has terrible flaws. (Sheep mentality, for one).

To ascertain truth, you must have a direct understanding of "God".
No one will be able to verify it, not even your closest friends, hence you need faith that what you experienced was actually a bona fide ,first bardo, "religous" experience and not just a dream or hallucination. In the absence of any personal spiritual experience it is impossible to get the direction (dharma) of one's own life path, unless assisted by a guru/spiritual teacher.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
16 Oct 11

As far as your concerned, and for the sake of clarity AT THIS POINT, you could say that I allign myself with a lot of athiests beliefs (scientific theories).
My version of "creation" does not discount science (ie, the big bang, abiogenisis and evolution)
My version of evolution is acutally "spiritual evolution" , but it contains all the physical proo ...[text shortened]... on (dharma) of one's own life path, unless assisted by a guru/spiritual teacher.
I hear what you are saying, thank you for being straight with me.

It seems clear you do have an idea, or concept, of God. Most atheists don't, so I would hesitate throwing you in with them. I'm sorry I did that once through my ignorance.

My version of evolution is acutally "spiritual evolution" , but it contains all the physical proofs that are contained in "science's " theory of evolution.

I can see what you say, but not the sense of it.

I am Christian, and yet my version of creation does not discount science either. On the contrary, it depends on it. I believe in the Theory of Evolution as put forth by modern science. And yet I am not, nor would I even think of calling myself, atheist.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
16 Oct 11

I am Christian, and yet my version of creation does not discount science either. On the contrary, it depends on it. I believe in the Theory of Evolution as put forth by modern science. And yet I am not, nor would I even think of calling myself, atheist.
This post is for sumydid.

This is probably one of the main reasons RJH felt I was a demon masquerading as a Christian.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
16 Oct 11
1 edit

To ascertain truth, you must have a direct understanding of "God".
No one will be able to verify it, not even your closest friends, hence you need faith that what you experienced was actually a bona fide ,first bardo, "religous" experience and not just a dream or hallucination. In the absence of any personal spiritual experience it is impossible to ge ...[text shortened]... the direction (dharma) of one's own life path, unless assisted by a guru/spiritual teacher.
I agree with you on this, fully and completely.

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
16 Oct 11

I hear what you are saying, thank you for being straight with me.

It seems clear you do have an idea, or concept, of God. Most atheists don't, so I would hesitate throwing you in with them. I'm sorry I did that once through my ignorance.

[quote]As far as your concerned, and for the sake of clarity AT THIS POINT, you could say that I allign myself wi ...[text shortened]... y modern science. And yet I am not, nor would I even think of calling myself, atheist.
So you are not a Young Earth Creationist? Sorry, you cant be to sure.
I'm sure christianity is a valid way for approaching God ,(especially when one accpets scientific theories for explaining the world around us), but historically it has had many problems, hence myself not wanting to allign myslef with christianity. The core message of JC is universal and speaks through time / has stood the test of time, to speak to even to the likes of me in this modern world (x-gen).

I dont mind you mistaking me for an athiest, after all I have more in common with them ideologically than most theists on this site, and my comments often speak of unviability of the god of the bible.

You prolly have your own personal reasons for calling yourself a "christian" and I wouldn't want to insult that through any ignorance on my part hence I dont have any problem with the christianity that you put forward. (Well, I do have some problems with your specifics/logistics on spiritual matters, but not with calling yourself "christian" , per se)