I am a theist

I am a theist

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hmmm . . .

Moves
03 Dec 10

A lot of thought has flowed along since my posts yesterday—but some of it reminds me of the difference between “strong” and “weak” atheism. I may be a “strong” atheist regarding certain conceptions of “god” that seem to me, for example, to be logically contradictory—or that use what Swiss Gambit calls “bizarro-speech”. On other conceptions, I may remain a “weak” atheist. I don’t feel the need to hold to a strong form of atheism across-the-board to call myself an atheist. It strikes me that there can also be an analog for theists.

A
The 'edit'or

converging to it

Moves
03 Dec 10
2 edits

Originally posted by vistesd
Sure, but I don’t see that John W. has made the kind of epistemic claim to which Ockham’s razor applies. I’ve added my own “gestaltic” thoughts to his (see lat post on the preceding page), and I don’t see how his “sense” is any less valid, or less efficient, that one’s sense of the implicate ground that frames any of our explicate perceptions, indeed our a ...[text shortened]... ible” (pun intended), as it stands. And I don’t see that he’s arguing anything more than that.
Well I would argue that the inefficiency I mention extends further than the requirements of ockhams razor (I'll justify this shortly). I should say first however that the motivation for my questioning lies in the fact that JW Booth's belief in some god doesn't seem so passive given he feels so compelled to make a thread about this position of belief. I can't help but suspect that there is some underlying discrepancy he perceives with a purely materialistic universe(s) and this god manages to clear said discrepancy - I was hoping to tease this out of him.

Anyway as to inefficiency, I was tempted to suggest his belief has in the very least led him to waste his time answering my questions along with others but notice this fails since making a thread in a discussion forum suggests one desires a discussion about it anyway!
In other aspects of his life however, should he feel so motivated to declare his 'belief' to others this would likely induce the same line of questions, and the same defence of his position. To rebut this you may say that my atheism also requires that I answer questions should I declare it to anyone; my response however is that my atheism is a reactionary position with respect to theism (I'm also an a-toothfairyist but few mature people exist with any belief counter to that such that I need openly state it). For JW Booth however, his position of belief is not (I suspect) a reaction to what others believe and so the rebuttal would fail on that ground.

I don't so much have a problem with his belief per-se (I have acknowledged he makes no claims about his supposed god), but given that his answers don't highlight any justification for it then it seems like there is an opportunity cost associated with it (in that he wouldn't be answering the same old questions again and again (even to his own questions perhaps) if he held no such belief (the strength of this belief compelling him to declare it to people)).

Black Beastie

Scheveningen

Moves
03 Dec 10

In your example, I don’t think you can call it “unjustified”: in this case, absence of evidence (of the stalker) cannot be taken as evidence of absence (of the stalker). One day I am walking in the woods, and my senses sense something that leads me to stop—before any conscious reflection; I may not even be sure upon reflection after the fact which senses ...[text shortened]... reflection. As you say, he remains in a kind of “superposition”.

Namaste, old friend! 🙂
I agree, my vistesd;
Namaste
😵

JWB

Moves
04 Dec 10

Originally posted by Agerg
In other aspects of his life however, should he feel so motivated to declare his 'belief' to others this would likely induce the same line of questions, and the same defence of his position. To rebut this you may say that my atheism also requires that I answer questions should I declare it to anyone; my response however is that my atheism is a reactionary position with respect to theism...snip... For JW Booth however, his position of belief is not (I suspect) a reaction to what others believe and so the rebuttal would fail on that ground.

My posts here are a reactionary position with respect to the religiosity surrounding theism.

JWB

Moves
04 Dec 10

Originally posted by jaywill
I am curious. Is there anything you do which strengthens this "sense" ?
Meditation (although its main purpose is to sift through the events of the day, and linger over things I want to remember or rethink); Hiking to the top of mountains and surveying the valleys below; interacting with my children. A few examples. But it is just a 'sense' though.

If you, for example, read aloud the first chapter of say, the Gospel of John, would that "sense" in you encrease ?

It does not. I am a consumer of literature but I am nonplussed by the religious kind as I do not find the premise credible. I am more moved by the first chapter of, say, Laurie Lee's Cider With Rosie than I am by the first chapter of the Gospel of John.

A
The 'edit'or

converging to it

Moves
04 Dec 10
1 edit

Originally posted by John W Booth
Meditation (although its main purpose is to sift through the events of the day, and linger over things I want to remember or rethink); Hiking to the top of mountains and surveying the valleys below; interacting with my children. A few examples. But it is just a 'sense' though.

[b]If you, for example, read aloud the first chapter of say, the Gospel of ...[text shortened]... aurie Lee's Cider With Rosie than I am by the first chapter of the Gospel of John.
[/b]
Brace yourself for a jaywill
scripture
zerg-rush :]

A
The 'edit'or

converging to it

Moves
04 Dec 10
1 edit

In other aspects of his life however, should he feel so motivated to declare his 'belief' to others this would likely induce the same line of questions, and the same defence of his position. To rebut this you may say that my atheism also requires that I answer questions should I declare it to anyone; my response however is that my atheism is a reacti
My posts here are a reactionary position with respect to the religiosity surrounding theism.
Am I correct in saying though, that your belief is not reactionary - i.e inspite of beliefs held by fundamentalist Christians/Jews/Muslims/Scientologists/etc... you'd still believe in the 'god' you put forward?

JWB

Moves
04 Dec 10
2 edits

Am I correct in saying though, that your belief is not reactionary - i.e inspite of beliefs held by fundamentalist Christians/Jews/Muslims/Scientologists/etc... you'd still believe in the 'god' you put forward?
What does "put forward" mean? Clearly fundamentalist Christians/Jews/Muslims/Scientologists etc. describe the specific nature of God, his actions, its wishes and instructions, they itemize what is forbidden, they prescribe procedures and ceremonies, publish texts, organize into groups, decide upon and propogate a creed etc. That is putting forward 'God'. And if those are the terms of reference for putting forward a God, then I clearly do not do it.

JWB

Moves
04 Dec 10

I should say first however that the motivation for my questioning lies in the fact that JW Booth's belief in some god doesn't seem so passive given he feels so compelled to make a thread about this position of belief. I can't help but suspect that there is some underlying discrepancy he perceives with a purely materialistic universe(s) and this god manages to clear said discrepancy - I was hoping to tease this out of him.

The fact that I am posting my views in a Spirituality forum makes you suspect that I am being somehow deceitful about the simplicity of my belief or that I am holding back information about my belief?

Or are you suggesting that I am doing something along these lines unconsciously?

A
The 'edit'or

converging to it

Moves
04 Dec 10
2 edits

What does "put forward" mean? Clearly fundamentalist Christians/Jews/Muslims/Scientologists etc. describe the specific nature of God, his actions, its wishes and instructions, they itemize what forbidden, they prescribe procedures and ceremonies, publish texts, organize into groups, decide upon and propogate a creed etc. That is putting forward ' se are the terms of reference for putting forward a God, then I clearly do not do it.
I don't think one necessarily has to specify the attributes associated with some god X in order to qualify for having "put forward a god", a sufficient condition is the explicit statement one believes in some god. It wasn't intended as a derogatory statement btw.

A
The 'edit'or

converging to it

Moves
04 Dec 10
1 edit

I should say first however that the motivation for my questioning lies in the fact that JW Booth's belief in some god doesn't seem so passive given he feels so compelled to make a thread about this position of belief. I can't help but suspect that there is some underlying discrepancy he perceives with a purely materialistic universe(s) and this god m y belief?

Or are you suggesting that I am doing something along these lines unconsciously?
I suspect the latter; i.e. subconsciously. I cannot of course prove this; it just fits my intuition that having some sort of sense about a god suggests at some level it answers a discrepancy (from the 'believer's' perspective) that would be manifest in the absense of said belief.

JWB

Moves
04 Dec 10
2 edits

...having some sort of sense about a god suggests at some level it answers a discrepancy (from the 'believer's' perspective) that would be manifest in the absense of said belief.
I think this is reasonable on your part. However, I don't perceive any discrepancy and I don't think my 'sense' that there is a God "answers" anything.

Edit: i.e. you could be right, maybe there is subconscious stuff, but then I cannot describe it because I am unaware of it, and therefore I can hardly be described as putting it forward.

Hmmm . . .

Moves
04 Dec 10
1 edit

Well I would argue that the inefficiency I mention extends further than the requirements of ockhams razor (I'll justify this shortly). I should say first however that the motivation for my questioning lies in the fact that JW Booth's belief in some god doesn't seem so passive given he feels so compelled to make a thread about this position of belief. I can't h no such belief (the strength of this belief compelling him to declare it to people)).
Thanks for the clarification on inefficiency. However, you interpret JWB's intent differently from me.

I see his intent as specifically to articulate the difference between having a "sense that bubbles up from time to time" and claiming a belief with some reflective content that would require epistemic justification. (That is, he is articulating what blackbeetle has called a kind of "superposition".) I see that as his particular--and interesting--contribution to this forum.

A
The 'edit'or

converging to it

Moves
04 Dec 10
1 edit

Well I would hope I've done enough to convince you that I don't put you in the same camp as say jaywill or other fundies...when I say put forward your god; I merely mean for want of a better way of putting it, making this entity (undefined as it is) an object of discussion. I say you have done this because the assertion you believe in a god, puts the focus on this god (even if you don't define it).

It has been an interesting discussion for me but I cannot see anything I have left to wrangle with given that you cannot readily bring to mind the things I was hoping to elicit from you. I'm happy to call it a day here :]

A
The 'edit'or

converging to it

Moves
04 Dec 10
3 edits

Thanks for the clarification on inefficiency. However, you interpret JWB's intent differently from me.

I see his intent as specifically to articulate the difference between having a "sense that bubbles up from time to time" and claiming a belief with some reflective content that would require epistemic justification. (That is, he is arti superposition".) I see that as his particular--and interesting--contribution to this forum.
Hmm...should I be embarrassed to say that perhaps a light-bulb has more ambience now than it did prior to reading this? the interpretation of yours wasn't really a thought I'd started with, and so I followed a particular avenue of enquiry; but I can see the validity in your interpretation (and hence motivation from JW's perspective to start this thread)