I am a theist

I am a theist

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A
The 'edit'or

converging to it

Moves
29 Nov 10

Originally posted by whodey
It is logical to assume that God actually cares about his creation.

Why? Just look at what you have created in your lifetime. Things that you create are a reflection of who and what you are. Likewise, Biblically we are said to be created in the image of God. What you create speaks volumes as to who and what you are. It indicates your intelligence le ...[text shortened]... m and in which he has no interest. Why would he waste his time?

Sorry, I just don't buy it.
Not logical, emotional maybe, but not logical. One could suppose hypothetically our universe is one of many 'test tube' universes which some god merely observes.

Cape Town

Moves
29 Nov 10

Originally posted by John W Booth
That's interesting. What "psychological factor" do you think is in play with me when I believe there is a God?
I have no idea. But there must be some reason, and it could hardly be anything but psychological.
But thats not important. What is important is that you differentiate your beliefs from those of other theists, and I am not convinced that your grounds for doing so are valid.
You claim that there are psychological motivations for their beliefs but not yours, yet that doesn't prove that theirs are caused by the motivations you perceive. It only suggest that they might be.
If you can hold beliefs that have no psychological motivations, then surely so can they. How do you know that their beliefs, however intricate they may be, are not held in the same way that yours are ie without a known psychological motivation causing them.

JWB

Moves
29 Nov 10

Originally posted by twhitehead
What is important is that you differentiate your beliefs from those of other theists, and I am not convinced that your grounds for doing so are valid.
You've repeated this several times while ignoring my repeated answer to it. So we will leave it at that, I think.

Cape Town

Moves
29 Nov 10

You've repeated this several times while ignoring my repeated answer to it. So we will leave it at that, I think.
I am probably misunderstanding you, or failing to properly explain myself. We can leave it at that.

w

Moves
30 Nov 10

Originally posted by Agerg
Not logical, emotional maybe, but not logical. One could suppose hypothetically our universe is one of many 'test tube' universes which some god merely observes.
Why would he observe what he cares nothing about?

JWB

Moves
30 Nov 10

What he "cares" about? Maybe you need to speculate what nationality God is and declare whatever you decide it is to be a fact, deduced logically. Then you can factor in his cultural background and his upbringing. You have already decided to attribute human characteristics to God so you may as well go the whole hog.

w

Moves
30 Nov 10

What he "cares" about? Maybe you need to speculate what nationality God is and declare whatever you decide it is to be a fact, deduced logically. Then you can factor in his cultural background and his upbringing. You have already decided to attribute human characteristics to God so you may as well go the whole hog.
Are you saying that his creation could possibly be devoid of any of his characteristics? How so? For every thought there needs to first be present a point of reference.

JWB

Moves
30 Nov 10

Are you saying that his creation could possibly be devoid of any of his characteristics?
Of course.

A
The 'edit'or

converging to it

Moves
30 Nov 10

To see what happens and compare results against other universes. Why is this hypothetical god's own business...perhaps so it learns to make improved universes afterwards(where what counts as an improvement to this god is open for speculation of course...note: I'm not assuming omniscience btw).

JWB

Moves
30 Nov 10
2 edits

Originally posted by vistesd
You strike me as arguing for rationality—or at least against counter-intuitive metaphysical speculation. So I am interested in why, epistemically, you conclude there is something that merits the label “god”—that is, what are some of your reason-giving considerations. If it’s just a “sense” or an intuition, fine.
I don't indulge in metaphysical speculation about the nature of the God I sense. All the metaphysical speculation I have across - along with all the theology, superstition, worship, codes of behaviour, prophecies attendant thereto - has struck me as unfouned and, more often than not, peculiarly specific and almost peversely far-fetched.

As for claiming "knowledge", well I don't really do epistemology when it comes to the existence of a "God". It is just a 'sense', as you put it. I rarely give it much thought. Having trawled (to a degree anyway) through the literature of religions and found it all very fancilful, riddled with uncompromisingly undisguised signs of human weaknesses and wishful (albeit energizing and inspiring) groupthink, I am content with my own 'sense' and unpersuaded by the speculation.

All the creeds, assertions and claims that God has "communicated" with humans - at least those that I have encountered, which is all the main ones - have struck me as totally unconvincing - and perhaps more useful as a history of the human condition than anything metaphysical.

Just a 'sense' then, for me, that bubbles up to the surface from time to time when I meditate. However, it has no discernible effect on my behaviour, nor does it spawn any other 'beliefs', other than - as twhitehead has sort of pointed out - the belief that religion, theology, invented "certainties" about the afterlife and about "instructions" from God, and God's "love" and "wrath" and all the rest, are of no interest to me whatsoever as they strike me as a mixture of anthropology, psychiatry and the 'red pantaloons' (I mentioned earlier) and nothing much else.

A
The 'edit'or

converging to it

Moves
30 Nov 10
1 edit

J.W.Booth, what facets of the universe are such that you require the introduction of some sort of god? I notice that you don't explicitly assign to this entity any traits (which is a good thing), but I hold that implicitly there are some characteristics which must be associated with such a deity in order that you arrive at the "picture" of the universe you have right now (for example: this deity is capable of creating universes perhaps; as opposed to some other entity which is constrained to dwell (unseen perhaps) within a necessarily extistent (and unique) universe)

Must it be true you hold this god has supernatural qualities?

JWB

Moves
30 Nov 10

J.W.Booth, what facets of the universe are such that you require the introduction of some sort of god?
I am not sure that you or I can say that I "require" the 'sense' that I have. It doesn't fill any gap and it doesn't making anything 'work' or solve any problem. It doesn't affect what I do. So I don't see how I might have "required" it as such. meanwhile, I contend that 'religious' people "need" it.

And I contend that their needs lead to hundreds of intricate beliefs and behaviours. twhitehead contends that there is "no difference" between me with my 1 belief and them with their 100s of beliefs. I find that interesting.

What facets of the universe? Mmm. My 'sense' of God is not so specific. It doesn't go much beyond being what I would answer if I underwent a lie detector test (that I didn't want to fail)... "Do you believe there is a God?" "Yes". Can you prove it or explain it?" "No." Do you believe it has any implications for you or mankind?" "No".

JWB

Moves
30 Nov 10

for example: this deity is capable of creating universes perhaps; as opposed to some other entity which is constrained to dwell (unseen perhaps) within a necessarily extistent (and unique) universe)
The difference between this "deity" and this "entity", you mention, is not relevant to me, though. Because I don't speculate about God's nature I am unable to theorize about God's traits. I have no way of knowing what this God is "capable of" or to what degree it is "constrained".

A
The 'edit'or

converging to it

Moves
30 Nov 10

When I say "require" in the sense that I did I mean that given two possible choices: A or B; in order to make a coherent account of some scenario or resolution to a problem; if one chooses A then so long as this person makes a rational choice, it was deemed by this person A be better fit than B (unless it was a 50-50 choice). In this sense, their views require A in order to gel properly (from their perspective of course).

A
The 'edit'or

converging to it

Moves
30 Nov 10

The difference between this "deity" and this "entity", you mention, is not relevant to me, though. Because I don't speculate about God's nature I am unable to theorize about God's traits. I have no way of knowing what this God is "capable of" or to what degree it is "constrained".
But failing to introduce god (whatever it is) into your worldview would induce a discrepancy somewhere, otherwise you would have had no need to invoke such a thing. I'm interested in what the discrepancies are which are solved by inserting "god"