Hyphenated Christians

Hyphenated Christians

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

F

Moves
11 Dec 12

Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
Your call, FMF. Your call and I respect your right to make it any which way you choose (though I'll miss you when we part ways).
-
Still nothing about your "artful falsehood" nonsense?

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
11 Dec 12

Originally posted by FMF

Exactly. So the "fame and fortune" stuff was a clumsy moving of the goalposts. What would the "fame and fortune" equivalency for "religious pursuits be? It's putting an apple on one goalpost and an orange on the other, and then moving them. Of course non non-religious pursuits can offer spiritual fulfillment, at least in my personal view, and it was clearly so ...[text shortened]... rs as a Christian and has been just as clear to me in the years since I stopped being one.
You're quoting my Reply/Quote of a Professor in Illininois... which Robbie quoted in this thread's initial post. Straining at a gnat @ the third remove won't lend clarity to productive conversation about Robbie's topic. Let it pass. If you need a daily forum fight to work off your frustrations and/or to exhibit your hard won intellectual superiority, please look elsewhere. Last, must tell you that your speaking tone and style is reminiscent of clerical speeches I've listened to over the years. (gb)
-

F

Moves
11 Dec 12

Your call, FMF. Your call and I respect your right to make it any which way you choose (though I'll miss you when we part ways).
-
When we "part ways" I will be cremated. You, I imagine, will be buried under a pile of your own cliches.

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
11 Dec 12

You're quoting my Reply/Quote of a Professor in Illininois... which Robbie quoted in this thread's initial post. Straining at a gnat @ the third remove won't lend clarity to productive conversation about Robbie's topic. Let it pass. If you need a daily forum fight to work off your frustrations and/or to exhibit your hard won intellectual superiority, p ...[text shortened]... tone and style is reminiscent of clerical speeches I've listened to over the years. (gb)
-
Lol.

Moves
11 Dec 12

[b]Mortal: You die (your physical body decomposes to rot in the ground); Immortal: You (the real you, your soul) lives forever.
-[/b]
thats a definition. whats the point of an immortal soul?

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
11 Dec 12
2 edits

Originally posted by FMF
When we "part ways" I will be cremated. You, I imagine, will be buried under a pile of your own cliches.
Cremation, too. Tent served its purpose. The stinking carcass begins rotting immediately, even though fingernails,
toenails and (facial, armpit and pubic) hair keep on growing for awhile. Open casket viewing is pagan. Pass. (gb)
-

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
11 Dec 12
1 edit

Originally posted by stellspalfie

thats a definition. whats the point of an immortal soul?
Executive Summary; The thinking part of the brain, your immortal soul, plays a major role in resolving the pre-historic angelic conflict,
which entered the appeal phase in Eden when two love birds screwed up and got their sorry, depraved butts booted out of the park.

Note: Time to get back to my 'Idea Factory' in the general forum. Thanks for the conversation. Enjoyed being with you and FMF. Later...
-

a
Not actually a cat

The Flat Earth

Moves
11 Dec 12

Cremation, too. Tent served its purpose. The stinking carcass begins rotting immediately, even though fingernails,
toenails and (facial, armpit and pubic) hair keep on growing for awhile. Open casket viewing is pagan. Pass. (gb)
-
... fingernails, toenails and (facial, armpit and pubic) hair keep on growing for awhile...

Ah you didn't watch that episode of QI then - they don't actually, it just looks like they do because of shrinkage of the flesh.

rc

Moves
11 Dec 12

Originally posted by galveston75
Lol.
FMF owned again, LOL.

S
Caninus Interruptus

Moves
11 Dec 12

Originally said by Blaise Pascal
If I believe in the Risen Christ and it's just an artful falsehood, there is nothing to lose.
There is a lot to lose. A ton.

Sitting through boring sermons of an hour or more at least once a week. And there's the praise and worship too. All that time spent groveling to a non-existent deity.
Adhering to a rigorous moral code just because the Bible says so. Even if much of the moral code makes no sense.
Being burdened with the expectation of converting the lost, or else their eternal soul is doomed. That's a hell of a thing to put on a person.
Missing out on great movies, books, magazines, music, art, and relationships because they are 'immoral' in some way.
Submitting to authority figures in the church. As if we don't have enough of them in the rest of life.

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
11 Dec 12
1 edit

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
...is it possible that spiritual fulfilment can be found in secular pursuits?
Based on the amount of time you must waste here, I'm guessing this is a rhetorical question.

rc

Moves
11 Dec 12

Originally posted by SwissGambit

Sitting through boring sermons of an hour or more at least once a week. And there's the praise and worship too. All that time spent groveling to a non-existent deity.
Adhering to a rigorous moral code just because the Bible says so. Even if much of the moral code makes no sense.
Being burdened with the expectation of c ...[text shortened]... to authority figures in the church. As if we don't have enough of them in the rest of life.
What if the discourse is deep and meaningful and has practical application in life? One should be thankful for guidance.

What if that morality acts especially as a protection against unwholesome practices which may be essentially self destructive? One should be thankful

the Christ states that his load is light, one should be thankful

there is no authority except by the Christ, every Christian has the right to exercise their conscience, one should be thankful.

It seems to me that it is a matter of perspective.

Moves
11 Dec 12

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
What if the discourse is deep and meaningful and has practical application in life? One should be thankful for guidance.

What if that morality acts especially as a protection against unwholesome practices which may be essentially self destructive? One should be thankful

there ...[text shortened]... their conscience, one should be thankful.

It seems to me that it is a matter of perspective.
What if the discourse is deep and meaningful and has practical application in life?
One should be thankful for guidance.

Ah yes but we don't have to play the what if game because we know what the discourse is
like, we don't have to speculate...

It's shallow, meaningless, has little practical application, and most importantly... It's wrong.

What if that morality acts especially as a protection against unwholesome practices which may
be essentially self destructive? One should be thankful

Again, no speculation needed. Your morality is over-simplistic, inflexible... and demonstrably harmful.

Meaningless twaddle.

there is no authority except by the Christ, every Christian has the right to exercise their conscience,
one should be thankful.

Wrong. There is no authority... Period.

Moves
11 Dec 12

We are created with both the intelligence and emotional capacity to realize human fulfillment in all realms. We also possess an even deeper void which aches to be satisfied. Our spiritual needs our primary. If ignored, any and all efforts to compensate fulfillment in other pursuits will not succeed. "There's a hole in the heart of man in the shape of Go ...[text shortened]... , there is nothing to lose. If true, then I have everything to gain." -Pascal (1623-1662)
-
Ok.
I have a simple question for you....

Do you think that 'pascals wager' is a good/valid argument for believing in and worshipping god?
(your god specifically)

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
11 Dec 12

Originally posted by SwissGambit

Being burdened with the expectation of c ...[text shortened]... to authority figures in the church. As if we don't have enough of them in the rest of life.
The apostle Paul was taken up to the third heaven and this is his opinion about all the worldly things you will miss out on compared to what awaits us Christians:

Romans 8:18-21 In my opinion whatever we may have to go through now is less than nothing compared with the magnificent future God has planned for us. The whole creation is on tiptoe to see the wonderful sight of the sons of God coming into their own. The world of creation cannot as yet see reality, not because it chooses to be blind, but because in God’s purpose it has been so limited—yet it has been given hope. And the hope is that in the end the whole of created life will be rescued from the tyranny of change and decay, and have its share in that magnificent liberty which can only belong to the children of God!

J.B. Phillips New Tesatament translation

http://preceptaustin.org/romans_818-39.htm

HalleluYah !!! Praise the Lord! Holy! Holy! Holy!