Humility

Humility

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
09 Jan 08

Originally posted by scottishinnz
False modesty?

Is it really so wrong to say "hey, I'm good at this". I don't think so - provided it's true, of course.
It is like when someone asks me if I'm a good chess player, my pat
answer is that depends on the company I'm in.
Kelly

w

Moves
09 Jan 08
1 edit

This subject is of interest to me because it seems that Biblically godly men were of humble origins. For example, Moses was said to be the meekest man who ever lived. He stuttered so badly that when God asked him to go before Pharoah he pleaded that someone go and speak for him. He is a far cry from the Charlton Heston figure created by Hollywood. Also consider David. One of God's prophets was told to go to David's father in order to select the next king of Israel. When he arrived he looked among all the sons the father had who were of "high stature" and who were assumed to be the chosen. However, the only one not present was the scrony lad David who was out watching over his fathers flock. He was of such lowly stature that he was not even considered a possible candidate. David was the direct antithosis of king Saul whom he was to replace. Saul was chosen by the people because of his physical prowess and high stature, however, as we all know was continually disobedient to the Lord and could not be used by him.

Having said all that, I am not saying that one need to be of "lowly stature" per sey to be humble, however, it seems to be a distinct advantage. I think our fallen state leads us to believe that having qualities that are considered to make one of high stature tends to "god to our heads", so to speak. Christ is another prime example of what I am talking about. He was born to a poor family and the prophet Isaiah says that he was not that easy on the eyes so that we would esteem him. However, Christ had a great intellect and could run circles around his foes in terms of outmanuvering them, yet he did not let it go to his head, so to speak.

s

Moves
09 Jan 08

I reckon I've got more humility than anyone else....

g

Moves
09 Jan 08

An organization gave a trophy in recognition of my great humility, but they took it away from me for accepting it!

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
09 Jan 08

Originally posted by gaychessplayer
An organization gave a trophy in recognition of my great humility, but they took it away from me for accepting it!
Nice 😉

w

Moves
10 Jan 08

"Oh Lord its hard to be humble, when your perfect in every way..."

E

Moves
10 Jan 08

False modesty?

Is it really so wrong to say "hey, I'm good at this". I don't think so - provided it's true, of course.
no of course its not wrong. it doesnt hurt or help anyone so it is neither good or bad. but if you are modest, it will help you improve and make you even better.

s
Kichigai!

Osaka

Moves
10 Jan 08

Originally posted by whodey
"Oh Lord it[']s hard to be humble, when you[']r[e] perfect in every way..."
Except spelling and grammar, apparently.

w

Moves
10 Jan 08
2 edits

Except spelling and grammar, apparently.
Humillty in action sir, it is hummility in action!!

s
Kichigai!

Osaka

Moves
10 Jan 08
1 edit

Originally posted by whodey
Humillty in action sir, it is hummility in action!!
You are one meek son of a gun!

[edit; hedging your bets there with the number of "m"s and "l"s in "humility"? And you still managed to get it wrong both times!! Or am I just real crap at irony?]

w

Moves
10 Jan 08

You are one meek son of a gun!

[edit; hedging your bets there with the number of "m"s and "l"s in "humility"? And you still managed to get it wrong both times!! Or am I just real crap at irony?]
Neither. I just enjoy spell'in like a fel'in. 😛

g

Moves
10 Jan 08

Even in grade school my grammar was unusually good. One day I turned in a paper with several grammatical mistakes. My teacher asked me, "What happened to your grammar?" I responded, "She fell down in her kitchen and had to go the the hospital."

s
Kichigai!

Osaka

Moves
11 Jan 08

Even in grade school my grammar was unusually good. One day I turned in a paper with several grammatical mistakes. My teacher asked me, "What happened to your grammar?" I responded, "She fell down in her kitchen and had to go the the hospital."
Nice one.