Humans are animals, right?

Humans are animals, right?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moves
15 Aug 09

Originally posted by daniel58
Exclude; deny (someone) access to or bar (someone) from a place, group, or privilege : women had been excluded from many scientific societies.
• keep (something) out of a place : apply flux to exclude oxygen.
• (often be excluded) remove from consideration; rule out : computer software is excluded from the mandatory 15-year write-off.
• prevent the occur ...[text shortened]...
• prevent the occurrence of; preclude : clauses seeking to exclude liability for loss or damage
You have made a hash of your attempted correction there, perhaps because you discovered that no correction was needed and became confused.

I wonder whether you are the sort of person who has the personal integrity to admit a clear error and apologise?

If you are still in any doubt, here is the original sentence:

"Not that I believe this at all, but if god had made us in its image, why does that immediately preclude us from being animals."

Look up 'preclude' in any good dictionary and you'll see the relevant meaning could be 'make impossible'.

Substitute:

"Not that I believe this at all, but if god had made us in its image, why does that immediately make us being animals impossible?"

You can see the sense is preserved.

d

Moves
15 Aug 09

Originally posted by Lord Shark
You have made a hash of your attempted correction there, perhaps because you discovered that no correction was needed and became confused.

I wonder whether you are the sort of person who has the personal integrity to admit a clear error and apologise?

If you are still in any doubt, here is the original sentence:

"Not that I believe this at all, b ...[text shortened]... t immediately make us being animals impossible?"

You can see the sense is preserved.
He doesn't "make" it impossible every day, He just set a rule that we can't become it, exclude makes more sense.

Moves
15 Aug 09

Originally posted by daniel58
He doesn't "make" it impossible every day, He just set a rule that we can't become it, exclude makes more sense.
I'm sorry but you don't get to decide what somebody else meant according to what you think about what makes sense. The use is clear and intelligible whether you agree or not, this person meant 'preclude'.

Further, your case that 'exclude' makes more sense doesn't make sense.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
15 Aug 09

Originally posted by shavixmir
If a human isn't an animal, what the hell is it???
Human

J

Moves
15 Aug 09

Originally posted by KellyJay
Human
What defines a human? Is a human in any way animated, as in able to move on its own accord and
act on its own will?

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
15 Aug 09

Originally posted by Jigtie
What defines a human? Is a human in any way animated, as in able to move on its own accord and
act on its own will?
I think we do act on our own wills at all time, our issues are that we
are pulled this way and that by our desires/lusts.
Kelly

J

Moves
16 Aug 09

I think we do act on our own wills at all time, our issues are that we
are pulled this way and that by our desires/lusts.
Kelly
I'm not sure I follow. Are you saying that humans unlike animals are not controlled by instinct and
desires? Whether or not that's true, the fact remains that the definition of an animal is a body
physically separated from its environment, with the ability to move voluntarily. Humans are and
can do that, hence we're animals.

F

Moves
16 Aug 09

May I qutoe an earlier posting of Proper Knob:

Here's a definition of 'animal' from an online biological dictionary.

A living organism belonging to Kingdom Animalia that possess several characteristics that set them apart from other living things, such as:

(1) being eukaryotic (i.e. the cell contains a membrane-bound nucleus) and usually multicellular (unlike bacteria and most protists, an animal is composed of several cells performing specific functions) (
2) being heterotrophic (unlike plants and algae that are autotrophic, an animal depends on another organism for sustenance) and generally digesting food in an internal chamber (such as a digestive tract)
(3) lacking cell wall (unlike plants, algae and some fungi that possess cell walls)
(4) being generally motile, that is being able to move voluntarily
(5) embryos passing through a blastula stage
(6) possessing specialized sensory organs for recognizing and responding to stimuli in the environment

Do we fit this description, yes or no?

By this definition it is very clear that humans are animals.

KellyJay, is this definition good enough, or do you have a better one?

a

Moves
16 Aug 09

Originally posted by karoly aczel
I sincerely hope that is not your idea of foreplay and just a metaphor.
What? I have trouble making sense of many of your posts, and this one makes no sense to me at all.

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
16 Aug 09
1 edit

Originally posted by acb123
What? I have trouble making sense of many of your posts, and this one makes no sense to me at all.
Understood. How about my thread on 'E.T. 101'. Just read one section.
Let me know what you think 🙂

Cornovii

North of the Tamar

Moves
16 Aug 09

Human
We are humans yes, that is our species. But we are still, by the very definition of the word, animals.

For instance, a horse is a horse, but it is still an animal.

jb

Moves
16 Aug 09

Originally posted by Proper Knob
We are humans yes, that is our species. But we are still, by the very definition of the word, animals.

For instance, a horse is a horse, but it is still an animal.
We are the one animal PETA doesn't give a shist about.

Moves
16 Aug 09

Originally posted by joe beyser
We are the one animal PETA doesn't give a shist about.
That is a lie.

a

Moves
16 Aug 09

Originally posted by karoly aczel
Understood. How about my thread on 'E.T. 101'. Just read one section.
Let me know what you think 🙂
Hmmmm.....no comment.

d

Moves
17 Aug 09

Originally posted by acb123
Hmmmm.....no comment.
Opposable thumbs, the ability to do complex math, the ability to create this computer we're typing on, the ability to create a language and refine it. Do I really need to keep going here?