howardgee's concise spiritual debating guide

howardgee's concise spiritual debating guide

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

o
Paralysed analyst

On a ship of fools

Moves
08 May 06

1. Be aggressive at every opportunity.

2. Be dogmatic. Assert rather than debate. Be convinced of the rightness of your position. Ignore any hint of irony that may result.

3. Assume that everyone else is hanging upon your every word. Failure to respond to one of your brilliantly insightful points is a sign that the person has admitted the correctness of your opinion and repented.

4. Where possible, miscontrue other people's meaning or intent. Given the ambiguities of language, this is achievable at least 90 per cent of the time.

5. Be selective in your reading and comprehension. Pay attention to no more than one sentence per post. Where possible, avoid selecting a key sentence in the poster's argument.

6. Avoid reading posts in context. Pay no attention to any previous posts by the same person.

7. Ignore rule 6 for the purposes of pointing out an apparent inconsistency, but never ignore rule 5.

8. Be pedantic, especially when invoking rule 7.

9. Use insults on a regular basis. Begin by insulting opinions contrary to yours at a general level, then move on to insulting opinions of individuals. At a later stage, insult the intelligence of anyone who has persisted in posting.

10. If things really get going, turn people's names into something vaguely insulting. If you struggle with this step, consult a schoolboy under the age of 14 for expert advice.

Jo'Burg South Africa

Moves
08 May 06

Originally posted by orfeo

2. Be dogmatic. Assert rather than debate. Be convinced of the rightness of your position. Ignore any hint of irony that may result.

3. Assume that everyone else is hanging upon your every word. Failure to respond to one of your brilliantly insightful points is a sign that the person has admitted the correctness ...[text shortened]... . If you struggle with this step, consult a schoolboy under the age of 14 for expert advice.
Correction...

95% of RHP users concise spiritual debating guide.

That sounds more realistic, anyone who wants not to agree? Is the figure to low? 😉

o
Paralysed analyst

On a ship of fools

Moves
08 May 06

Originally posted by Nicksten
Correction...

95% of RHP users concise spiritual debating guide.

That sounds more realistic, anyone who wants not to agree? Is the figure to low? 😉
Many try to apply these rules, but I can't think of any others who have mastered all of them. Only howard has reached true enlightenment.

Jo'Burg South Africa

Moves
08 May 06

Many try to apply these rules, but I can't think of any others who have mastered all of them. Only howard has reached true enlightenment.
I have to remind you that many are trying their very best to master the master which gives me the following conclusion...

Trying to Master
+ No one stopping them
--------------------------
= Will become one of the Masters

=GETVALUE([Will become one of the Masters]+[My Opinion])

GETVALUE = oink oink

*I think I'm gonna be liked 😉

h

Cosmos

Moves
09 May 06

3. Assume that everyone else is hanging upon your every word. Failure to respond to one of your brilliantly insightful points is a sign that the person has admitted the correctness ...[text shortened]... . If you struggle with this step, consult a schoolboy under the age of 14 for expert advice.
Orfeo's technique can be summed up in 2 words: be wrong.

"4. Where possible, miscontrue other people's meaning or intent. Given the ambiguities of language, this is achievable at least 90 per cent of the time."

I assume you mean "misconstrue" here. Or did I miscontrue you?

X
Cancerous Bus Crash

p^2.sin(phi)

Moves
09 May 06

Originally posted by howardgee

"4. Where possible, miscontrue other people's meaning or intent. Given the ambiguities of language, this is achievable at least 90 per cent of the time."

Oh God it's like you fufilled every single point in one succinct post.

o
Paralysed analyst

On a ship of fools

Moves
09 May 06

Rules 2, 8 and 9 at least, but a pretty poor effort. Admittedly, a couple of rules can't be invoked until the thread has developed a bit further, but I still expected more.

Deduct one point for lack of originality and imagination.

R

Moves
09 May 06

Originally posted by howardgee

I sure love good irony. Absolutely brilliant sir!

R

Moves
09 May 06
1 edit

Originally posted by XanthosNZ
Oh God it's like you fufilled every single point in one succinct post.
HA! I assume you meant fulfilled here, or did I just FUFILLED YOU!?

silicon valley

Moves
09 May 06

wait a sec, you misspelled "no1marauder" in the thread title.

o
Paralysed analyst

On a ship of fools

Moves
09 May 06
1 edit

Originally posted by zeeblebot
wait a sec, you misspelled "no1marauder" in the thread title.
I thought of that. He fails on rules 3 and 10 at least (my two personal favourites), and arguably on 5 and 6, and therefore 7.

Probably 8 as well, seeing as how he normally assaults substance and not spelling.

Secret RHP coder

on the payroll

Moves
09 May 06

I thought of that. He fails on rules 3 and 10 at least (my two personal favourites), and arguably on 5 and 6, and therefore 7.

Probably 8 as well, seeing as how he normally assaults substance and not spelling.
He's shown promise at #10 - for example, changing "chancremechanic" into "cancerousmechanic".

o
Paralysed analyst

On a ship of fools

Moves
09 May 06
1 edit

Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
He's shown promise at #10 - for example, changing "chancremechanic" into "cancerousmechanic".
Really? Must have missed that one.

EDIT: Sorry, forgot the rules. What I should have said was that Doggs can't read, your hyphen should have been a full stop, and that seeing as how I know everything you're so obviously mistaken I don't need to acknowledge that you may have a point.

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
09 May 06

He calls aspviper "asswiper". There's your rule 10.

h

Cosmos

Moves
10 May 06

Originally posted by Ramiri15
I sure love good irony. Absolutely brilliant sir!
Thank you kindly, sir. Glad you enjoyed it.

It's good to get some positive feedback sometimes - these religious numbskulls seem to have a humour bypass as part of their indoctrination routine.