How Jesus Became God

How Jesus Became God

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

F

Moves
20 Mar 19

@sonship said
What is Ehrman doing that wasn't tried with "The Passover Plot" a popular book of the 60s? Or with "The Mistakes of Jesus" around the same time. Or "The Divinci Code."
"The Da Vinci Code"?

Surely you must be aware of Ehrman's book "Truth and Fiction in The Da Vinci Code" in which he completely debunks the 'historical' claims made in Dan Brown's "The Da Vinci Code"?

Did you manage to read "The Da Vinci Code" without realizing it was a novel?

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
20 Mar 19
2 edits

@FMF

You misunderstand me.
I don't mean all the sensationalized anti-Gospel books say the same thing or agree with each other.

I already said a couple of good things about Ehrman which I meant sincerely. But he's wrong on some important other things.

To his credit he would not allow himself to be enlisted into the Mythers camp. You probably know that "The Infidel Guy" host was corrected by Ehrman that Ehrman does not teach that Jesus never existed.

And to his credit he says the mythers are making fools out of themselves. And he doesn't think much of Richard Carriers efforts at Jesus Mything.

So I can have disagreements with a professor and still acknowledge some positive things about her.

F

Moves
20 Mar 19

@sonship said
@FMF

You misunderstand me.
I don't mean all the sensationalized anti-Gospel books say the same thing or agree with each other.

I already said a couple of good things about Ehrman which I meant sincerely. But he's wrong on some important other things.

To his credit he would not allow himself to be enlisted into the Mythers camp. You probably know that "The Infidel G ...[text shortened]...
So I can have disagreements with a professor and still acknowledge some positive things about her.
So did you manage to read "The Da Vinci Code" without realizing it was a novel? How on earth could you end up trying to trivialize Ehrman's work by comparing it to Dan Brown's airport pulp fiction?

F

Moves
20 Mar 19

@sonship said
So why are you throwing smears and untruths at the wall to see what will stick like a political hack trying to discredit an opponent?

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
20 Mar 19
4 edits

@FMF

So did you manage to read "The Da Vinci Code" without realizing it was a novel?

That's a loaded question presuming that I THOUGHT it was not a religious fictional novel purporting some historical theories.

Your interrogation is lIke that of a slippery politician indeed.

I don't have time to read books like that.
I hardly have time enough to get into all the unsearchable treasures of the Bible itself.

F

Moves
20 Mar 19

@sonship said
@FMF
So did you manage to read "The Da Vinci Code" without realizing it was a novel?

That's loaded question presuming that I THOUGHT it was not a religious fictional novel purporting some historical theories.

I hardly have time enough to get into all the unsearchable treasures of the Bible itself.
What comparison are you seeking to make between Dan Brown and "The Da Vinci Code" and Professor Ehrman's 30 years of academic books and university textbooks?

F

Moves
20 Mar 19

@sonship said
If you haven't got time to read books like "The Da Vinci Code" why are you trying discredit Professor Ehrman's work by comparing it? You don't have time to read books like "The Da Vinci Code"? Right? You haven't read "The Da Vinci Code" you say. And yet you compare Ehrman's books to it?

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
20 Mar 19
1 edit

@FMF

What comparison are you seeking to make between Dan Brown and "The Da Vinci Code" and Professor Ehrman's 30 years of academic books and university textbooks?

Both wrote popular bash the Christian Gospel books consumed by gullible people like you to make a bundle.

About an hour of your audio I listened to.
How much of those links to any debates did you listen to?

F

Moves
20 Mar 19

@sonship said

How much of those links to any debates did you listen to?
Professor Ehrman wins the debates I have watched; I don't need you to agree with me.

F

Moves
20 Mar 19

@sonship said
Both wrote popular bash the Christian Gospel books consumed by gullible people like you to make a bundle.
You do realize Dan Brown is a novelist, right?

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
20 Mar 19

@FMF

People can read where I spoke well of Ehrman and where I spoke ill of Ehrman. I don't need to repeat the things I said.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
20 Mar 19
3 edits

@fmf said
You do realize Dan Brown is a novelist, right?
That's a loaded question presuming that I THOUGHT it was not a religious fictional novel purporting some historical theories.

This still holds with your further interrogations.

Dan Brown's book - religious fiction purporting some bogus historical theories.

No, Mary Magdalene did not marry Jesus.
Now dazzle me with your expertise on The De-Vinci Code.

Why plant the stupid idea into people's heads, except to make a bundle of money?

F

Moves
20 Mar 19

@sonship said
But when debating he was asked which Bart Ehrman was going to be debating. He has a reputation of having a pop side and a more scholarly side in which he would not dare say some things he does when he is in his pop, sell a lot of books mode.

"What has really happened I think is that is there are two Bart Ehrmans that are on display." - Craig at about 5.01

...[text shortened]... cPnfI Part 1

That's Part 1 of 6.
Interested viewers can locate the other 5.
Where has Ehrman conceded or admitted that "would not dare say some things" in debates that he has said in his books. Have you got a quote or a link?

F

Moves
20 Mar 19
1 edit

@sonship said

This still holds with your further interrogations.
You hadn't read the "The Da Vinci Code". You compared it to scholarly works by Professor Ehrman. "The Da Vinci Code" is a novel. Dan Brown is a novelist. You seem intent on poisoning the well with regard to Ehrman but you are trying to do it with a comparison to a novel you haven't even read,

F

Moves
20 Mar 19

@sonship said
Dan Brown's book - religious fiction purporting some bogus historical theories.

No, Mary Magdalene did not marry Jesus.
Now dazzle me with your expertise on The De-Vinci Code.

Why plant the stupid idea into people's heads, except to make a bundle of money?
Dan Brown is a novelist, sonship.

Professor Bart D. Ehrman is a leading American academic specializing in the New Testament.