Hawking: Universe happened without god.

Hawking: Universe happened without god.

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
21 Apr 13

Originally posted by Kepler
Apparently not. I asked him a while ago about this lake of fire malarkey and he does not think that eternal torture is consistent with a god who is supposedly love incarnate. I suppose it depends on which version of the biblical god you like.
Then perhaps he believes that your soul will be destroyed and no longer be immortal if you do not accept Christ as your Savior. Maybe that is what he means by worrying about your potential immortal soul that has the possibilty of living forever.

Jesus said, “And I say to you, My friends, do not be afraid of those who kill the body, and after that have no more that they can do. But I will show you whom you should fear: Fear Him who, after He has killed, has power to cast into hell; yes, I say to you, fear Him!"

(Luke 12: 4-5 NKJV)

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
21 Apr 13

Why do I need a purpose?
I don't know you. You should be able to answer that question yourself. If you can't then something is wrong with you. That is all I have to say about it.

j

Dublin Ireland

Moves
21 Apr 13

Originally posted by RJHinds
I have no prejudice against disabled people. That is your assumption as to what is true about me. What did I say that insulted you as a disabled person other than I do not agree with your concept of God and reality, which is also true of many non-disabled persons?
Dasa said of Hawking,

here is a man who cannot walk or talk and drools
and basically is in a position where he can't even
wipe his own ass and you agreed with that statement
thereby devaluing the personage of Stephen Hawking
or any other person who is unfortunate enough to be
in that kind of position where they suffer with very
serious disability.

Look back at the post and you will see where you agreed with Dasa.

You have nothing but contempt for those who would suffer a
similar predicament to Hawking.

It is shameful that you agreed with that and you should hang your
head in shame. You clearly devalued Hawkings personage not
simply because his views differ from yours but also because he is
severely disabled and unable to do much for himself.

You should apologise to all who are disabled because of your
devalued view of all those persons.

I should have known better though, I didn't really expect you to grasp
the fact that you had erred. Perhaps your intelligence is more disabled
than Hawkings.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
21 Apr 13
3 edits

Originally posted by johnnylongwoody
Dasa said of Hawking,

here is a man who cannot walk or talk and drools
and basically is in a position where he can't even
wipe his own ass and you agreed with that statement
thereby devaluing the personage of Stephen Hawking
or any other person who is unfortunate enough to be
in that kind of position where they suffer with very
serious dis grasp
the fact that you had erred. Perhaps your intelligence is more disabled
than Hawkings.
I was agreeing with this portion of what Dasa said:

"This absurdity that the foundation of the cosmos and life randomly comes from nothing and an unintelligent source can only come from a foolish dishonest atheist who cannot see past his ego."

I was referring to the above statement when I said,

"Exactly. And the only purpose to it all to him is to conform to the laws of physics that he has no idea where they came from or how.

I have never agreed with Dasa on everything he says and I have said that in the past. I am a Christian and he a Veda or someone who believes in the vedic literature as holy scripture but varies somewhat with Hinduism.

P.S. The fact that he is handicapped does not enter into my thoughts as to why I disagree with Stephen Hawking. I would still disagree if he were an Olympic champion.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
21 Apr 13

Seems a reasonable response. It is in line with Ockham's Razor that insists we should not invent new entities to explain things unless absolutely necessary. Do we need to hypothesise a god to explain the universe or its workings? As Laplace said "I have no need of the god hypothesis".
Ockham's Razor does not help a godless beginning of all things, to use that you
have to know what was required, what makes all things equal, and there isn't
anything outside of Creation that touches it. He does not know how it started,
he thinks it could be one way or another, the fact that he has to use quantum
fluctuation out of the gate says where did everything come from isn't answered
because where did the quantum fluctuations come from?

"Instead, he thinks: "We are the product of quantum fluctuations in the very early universe."
Kelly

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
21 Apr 13

Originally posted by sonhouse
I see # 4 on the list, the Armenian GENOCIDE based ONLY on religion. You can't pretty that one up by comparing it to the atrocities of ww1 and 2.

I never said everything would be roses without religion, just the rules would even out, you wouldn't HAVE to belong to a certain religion or other just to get a job, like being or not being a Mormon in Utah, U ...[text shortened]... ng in internal affairs of other countries in their so-called god given right to interfere.
How many times do I have to say it before I'm taken seriously??

Evil is done on this planet by evil men. These evil men are everywhere. Some are in government. Some are in religion. Throwing the baby out with the bathwater is as ridiculous as giving them a free ride. Let's concentrate on getting these evil men out of the job of controlling others, whether it be in religion or in government. Religion is freedom. Religion allows people who are oppressed to have courage to outlast their oppressors until they can finally break their shackles and be free. We're seeing the people rise up against oppression worldwide, most recently in the Middle East, with the 'Arab Spring' protests and in the fighting now going on in Syria. Without religion, these people would have been wiped out years ago.

On the other hand, yes, evil men within Christianity have been responsible for many sins against people. The Inquisition was bad enough, as it was against their own people, but all these atrocities you mention are also bad, as they were against native peoples who had the bad taste to refuse to subject themselves to the new Christian god. Evil men then decided they had a mandate from God Himself to wipe these people out, citing previous examples as Joshua and the Hebrews entering Canaan.

In short, it's not the religion per se which should bear the brunt of the guilt for these acts. Christianity, by itself, is not a religion of killing, torture or subjugation. It is evil men who are responsible for these acts, not the religion.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
21 Apr 13

Originally posted by sonhouse
They are frigging irritating here as well. Asssholes with 2000 watt stereo's.

Did you know there are actual car stereo DB CONTESTS here? The dude that can make the loudest sound inside his car wins. Some of them are approaching 180 DB of sound inside the car. What an insane contest.
Wow. When I was much younger, I had a friend who had a little tiny Datsun B210. He had a stock JVC CD changer with stock Jensen 6x9s and he claimed to get up to 150 db in that car, all stock.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
21 Apr 13

Why does the universe need a purpose?
Like "what does God need with a starship"? lol

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
21 Apr 13
1 edit

Then perhaps he believes that your soul will be destroyed and no longer be immortal if you do not accept Christ as your Savior. Maybe that is what he means by worrying about your potential immortal soul that has the possibilty of living forever.

Jesus said, “And I say to you, My friends, do not be afraid of those who kill the body, and after that have n ...[text shortened]... e has killed, has power to cast into hell; yes, I say to you, fear Him!"

(Luke 12: 4-5 NKJV)
Does the NKJV really put this verse that way?

Egad, I knew there was a reason I disliked that translation. They've completely removed the meaning of that verse.

Edit: Ok, wait. This is the Luke version. The true meaning lies in the Matthew version of this verse. See Matthew 10:28.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
21 Apr 13

Why does the universe need a purpose?
Why not?

Ro

Moves
21 Apr 13

Originally posted by Suzianne
How many times do I have to say it before I'm taken seriously??

Evil is done on this planet by [b]evil men
. These evil men are everywhere. Some are in government. Some are in religion. Throwing the baby out with the bathwater is as ridiculous as giving them a free ride. Let's concentrate on getting these evil men out of the job of controlling ot ...[text shortened]... subjugation. It is evil men who are responsible for these acts, not the religion.[/b]
Can I just ask you one question?

Before Christ came on the scene, do you think that people, who stoned to death men caught in bed with another man, were commiting an act of evil?

Do you think the 'Religion is freedom' concept applied to the men who died in this way?

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
21 Apr 13

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
why dont you sneak in and wire up a cd with some blues on it, I would.
Those idiots are not playing music, they are doing some kind of sine wave, 60 hertz or something. One thing they are finding out the hard way: with those asssholes driving around blasting those bass notes out, they are 1, ruining their own hearing, and 2, causing the car body to shake itself apart. Technology run amok.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
21 Apr 13

I have no prejudice against disabled people. That is your assumption as to what is true about me. What did I say that insulted you as a disabled person other than I do not agree with your concept of God and reality, which is also true of many non-disabled persons?
You said it all with one word in that disgusting tirade: Exactly. Agreeing with Dasa.

That puts you several notches down the food chain of credibility, lower than you were before, which was pretty much at the bottom anyway.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
21 Apr 13

Yes, I completely understand that you are only interested in educating those already indoctrinated to your way of thinking. I am sure you would rather not deal with those nutty Christains that have a different worldview.
What part of keeping religious indoctrination to itself in a religion class do you not understand? You fully approve of forcing the anti-science stance of creationism to be force fed as if it were a science IN A SCIENCE CLASS.

That is more than stupid, it is criminal. You want religious indoctrination, keep it in a religious indoctrination class so the stench doesn't invade real science.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
21 Apr 13

Originally posted by Suzianne
Wow. When I was much younger, I had a friend who had a little tiny Datsun B210. He had a stock JVC CD changer with stock Jensen 6x9s and he claimed to get up to 150 db in that car, all stock.
You say he has to use hearing aids now?