1. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    01 Jan '22 07:181 edit
    @fmf said
    Your God figure requires you to worship him.
    No. Again, invert your thinking.

God is WORTHY of worship.

God doesn't "require", He commands us to love Him.

That's where most stumble. It's against our nature.

Invert your thinking.
  2. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    01 Jan '22 07:19
    @josephw said
    No. I am defining "religion" for what it is.You really shouldn't have a problem with that since you know it's about the observance of practices with regards to any specific belief system.
    I think the definition of religion does not require any reference to "'a set of religious observances" or "rites and rituals" or "practices". Religion is "the belief in and worship of a superhuman controlling power, especially a personal God or gods." This definition covers all religions, including yours.
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    01 Jan '22 07:20
    @josephw said
    God is WORTHY of worship.

God doesn't "require", He commands us to love Him.
    This is true of all theistic religions.
  4. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    01 Jan '22 07:34
    @fmf said
    I think the definition of religion does not require any reference to "'a set of religious observances" or "rites and rituals" or "practices". Religion is "the belief in and worship of a superhuman controlling power, especially a personal God or gods." This definition covers all religions, including yours.
    It's all in the mind.

People THINK God "requires" behavior consistent with a particular religious system, such as the observance of rites and rituals, to ingratiate them to God.

With the God of the Bible behavior is our "reasonable service", but that service doesn't impart eternal life.

Eternal life is given as a gift of God's grace.

It's a FREE gift. That word, freely, in the scriptures, means undeservedly.

"I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end. I will give unto him that is athirst of the fountain of the water of life freely."

If you don't believe me look it up. Freely. Undeservedly.

It ain't religion. It's a relationship. One on one, and face to face with the risen savior the Lord Jesus Christ.
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    01 Jan '22 07:38
    @josephw said
    It ain't religion. It's a relationship. One on one, and face to face with the risen savior the Lord Jesus Christ.
    You keep saying this - but all you are doing, post after post, is reciting your religious beliefs. This belief you have about "a relationship" is simply a religious belief.
  6. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    01 Jan '22 07:39
    @fmf said
    This is true of all theistic religions.
    You are mistaken.

All of the major religions have as their principal tenet the requirement of doing works for salvation.

No so Christianity.

If you think otherwise, then go back and do your research.
  7. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    01 Jan '22 07:40
    @fmf said
    You keep saying this - but all you are doing, post after post, is reciting your religious beliefs. This belief you have about "a relationship" is simply a religious belief.
    Do you know what a parable is? Do you know what the word parable means?

Bare with me.
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    01 Jan '22 07:45
    @josephw said
    All of the major religions have as their principal tenet the requirement of doing works for salvation.

No so Christianity.
    All major religions are about the belief in and worship of a creator being, including Christianity. As I said, all religions are different from each other. A religion like yours can't claim it is somehow NOT a religion simply because it has different tenets of belief from the other religions.
  9. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    01 Jan '22 07:51
    Your posts here remind me of one of Grampy Bobby's favourite "arguments" about what the definition of a religion is and why Christianity is not a religion. For example, he'd say: "A religion does NOT have Jesus dying for our sins. Christianity DOES have that. So, Christianity is NOT a religion." One had to laugh at the "logic" of it.
  10. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    01 Jan '22 07:52
    @fmf said
    Of course I'm "reciting" what I believe.

The problem here isn't that. The problem is you're not getting it.

I have spoken TO the subject, but you are either unwilling or incapable of focusing on the points I'm making.

Are you deliberately deflecting? Or are you, in spite of your keen intellect, simply not understanding the simplicity of what I'm saying?

At least give me the benefit of the doubt and assume I'm literate enough to comprehend the difference between EARNING salvation by doing works(religion), and eternal life as a gift of God's grace.(relationship)

That's what I've been saying all along, but you merely glossed over it and state that I keep reciting belief without once acknowledging the point I just made again.

And will again and again until you open your eyes.
  11. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    01 Jan '22 07:561 edit
    @fmf said
    Your posts here remind me of one of Grampy Bobby's favourite "arguments" about what the definition of a religion is and why Christianity is not a religion. For example, he'd say: "A religion does NOT have Jesus dying for our sins. Christianity DOES have that. So, Christianity is NOT a religion." One had to laugh at the "logic" of it.
    You're deflecting.

The next thing you know someone will accuse me of being Grampy Bobby. 😉
  12. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    01 Jan '22 07:57
    @josephw said
    At least give me the benefit of the doubt and assume I'm literate enough to comprehend the difference between EARNING salvation by doing works(religion), and eternal life as a gift of God's grace.(relationship)
    Your beliefs about "doing works" and "salvation" and "grace" and a "relationship" are religious beliefs. Your beliefs about a creator being and about eternal life are religious beliefs. The fact that the nuts and bolts of Judaism and Islam. for instance, are not the same as the nuts and bolts of Christianity does not make Christianity not-a-religion.
  13. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    01 Jan '22 07:58
    @josephw said
    You're deflecting.
    Not so. The story of Grampy Bobby's favourite "argument" is extremely apposite here.
  14. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    01 Jan '22 08:01
    @josephw said
    The next thing you know someone will accuse me of being Grampy Bobby.
    Since you disappeared from the forums and stopped playing chess four and a half years ago, all of us here heard the news - from one of his relatives - that Grampy Bobby had passed away after a long illness. You were perhaps unaware of this.
  15. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    01 Jan '22 08:03
    @fmf said
    Your beliefs about "doing works" and "salvation" and "grace" and a "relationship" are religious beliefs. Your beliefs about a creator being and about eternal life are religious beliefs. The fact that the nuts and bolts of Judaism and Islam. for instance, are not the same as the nuts and bolts of Christianity does not make Christianity not-a-religion.
    Frankly, I think you're confusing what I know with what you think I know.

You think I believe what you think I believe.

Sounds a lot like the act of confirmation bias.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree