1. Joined
    24 Apr '05
    Moves
    04 Apr '14 21:58
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    Hmmmm...

Let's start with my neighbor.
    If my neighbor were elected Final Arbiter of All Things Good, the reason I (and others) would reject the title/position is because we know that--- at best--- my neighbor could only be a mouthpiece for ATG.
    Why?
    • Neighbor exists on the same plane as all other humans
    • Neighbor was born into that p ...[text shortened]... is dependent upon reality, so why would you blanch at something being the final standard?
    If my neighbor were elected Final Arbiter of All Things Good, the reason I (and others) would reject the title/position is because we know that--- at best--- my neighbor could only be a mouthpiece for ATG.
    Why?
    • Neighbor was born into that plane in order to gain existence
    • Neighbor will exit that plane at some point
    • Neighbor suffers from the same plight which plagues all others on the plane: subjectivity

What do the first three bullet points have to do with anything? And the fourth is something that "plagues" God too, since subjectivity is definitional to the type of mentality that you claim God possesses. None of this explains why it is an acceptable title for God but not for your neighbor, or any other mind.

The only thing you can point to, just as you have done, is that He differs from an entity like your neighbor in the respects that His existence is eternal and without beginning or end, etc. What does that have to do with anything? It's still just arbitrarity! Does some arbitrary thing become somehow better or more authoritative just because it's supposedly always been arbitrary? Is arbitrarity like a fine wine, getting more legitimately authoritative with time? No. Both cases are arbitrary and establish no actual legitimate authority.

Yet if any standard has ever been arbitrary, surely morality is that standard: it constantly switches and changes, yielding to the whims of the majority--- sometimes right and sometimes wrong--- and nearly ALWAYS in retrospect.

Just because humans have exhibited different moral collective intuitions and practices over time (which is just a descriptive, anthropologic matter regarding moral climate) does not imply that moral standards are arbitrary. Besides, this is a very strange line for you to argue. You're here trying to support the idea that moral standards are and have been arbitrary by arguing that they are hitched to the changing whims of humans. That simply contradicts your actual view that moral standards are hitched to God alone. If you are going to argue for one aspect of your view (that moral or goodness standards are arbitrary), your argument at least needs to be consistent with the other aspects of your view (that they are arbitrary because they are constitutively dependent on God alone).

You have no problem with the concept that truth is dependent upon reality, so why would you blanch at something being the final standard?

I don't blanch at that. What I blanch at is the idea that this something be an agent, for Euthyphro-like related reasons already discussed, reasons that deal with explanatory priority. Again, supposing it has to bottom out somewhere, bottoming out in an agent is just problematic and unsatisfactory, since you can offer no substantive reasons that will satisfy sincere moral inquiry. Why should one be good on your view? Well, one will be therefore more like this particular agent, God. Well, why is it good to be God-like? Well, being God-like is just definitive of goodness. And that's that. To the extent that you go outside of this and offer any reasons that have nothing to do with good being simply comprised of God-definition, you will start contradicting your own view.

I'm still a bit hazy on how all this constitutes a basis for rejecting premise (2).
  2. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    04 Apr '14 23:521 edit
    Originally posted by sonship
    [quote] (1) God is, by definition, all-knowing.

(2) God is, by definition, perfectly rational.

Freedom of will is of an incompatibilist sort, one which entails at minimum the ability to choose otherwise. So in particular:
    (3) If God freely chose to A, then He could have freely chosen not to A.

Freedom of will is necessary for moral responsibility. ...[text shortened]... ance with me.

Maybe I'll pass on your post to a Christian philosopher for a comment or two.
    This is pretty much my problem with this whole "logic experiment" also.

God is not man. Man's logic cannot fully describe, nor contain, God.

But I'm far from a logic major, it took extreme measures for me to pass the few logic courses I did take. All I know is putting man's limits on God doesn't work too well, for whatever reason it's done.
  3. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    05 Apr '14 00:16
    Originally posted by LemonJello
    This is an argument aimed at a theist who is committed to all the following (1) through (4):

[b](1)
    God is, by definition, all-knowing.

Freedom of will is of an incompatibilist sort, one which entails at minimum the ability to choose otherwise. So in particular:
    (3) If God freely ...[text shortened]... rgument is moot. Alternatively, of course, find and point out some error(s) within my argument.[/b]
    I question "all knowing", can you know everything that can be known and
    be "all knowing", while not knowing anything that cannot be known?
    Kelly
  4. Joined
    24 Apr '05
    Moves
    05 Apr '14 00:211 edit
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    I question "all knowing", can you know everything that can be known and
    Kelly
    can you know everything that can be known and

Sure, I do not see why not. It is logically impossible to know something that cannot be known. So not knowing unknowables should not be a problem.

Would you deny premise (1)?
  5. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    05 Apr '14 00:29
    can you know everything that can be known and

Sure, I do not see why not. It is logically impossible to know something that cannot be known. So not knowing unknowables should not be a problem.

Would you deny premise (1)?
    I believe if it can be known, God would know it, which is also how I view
    what God can do, if it can be done, God can do it.
    If there is such a thing as unknowable, if that can some how turn into a
    knowable, would that invalidate all of the knowable things before as being
    really known? If I for example had a choice before me, if no one could know
    what I'm about to do then I do it, does that invalidate all those that knew
    all that could be known up to that point?
    Kelly
  6. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    05 Apr '14 16:47
    [quote]If my neighbor were elected Final Arbiter of All Things Good, the reason I (and others) would reject the title/position is because we know that--- at best--- my neighbor could only be a mouthpiece for ATG.
    Why?
    • Neighbor was born into that plane in order to gain existence
    • Neighbor w ...[text shortened]... view.

I'm still a bit hazy on how all this constitutes a basis for rejecting premise (2).
    What do the first three bullet points have to do with anything? And the fourth is something that "plagues" God too, since subjectivity is definitional to the type of mentality that you claim God possesses. None of this explains why it is an acceptable title for God but not for your neighbor, or any other mind.
    The second bullet point carries the most significance, in that God's existence is not dependent upon being born.
    However, the fourth point carries relevance as well.
    Man's subjectivity is (among other aspects) situational, conditional and environmental.
    Specifically, he is swayed by forces outside of his control as well as influenced by his physical limitations and/or needs.
    God's subjectivity is a limitation to His attributes, themselves unchanging.

For instance, because He is Truth, He cannot lie or be false.
    Truth is not outside of Him, against which He is measured; truth is measured by how it agrees with Him.

Just because humans have exhibited different moral collective intuitions and practices over time (which is just a descriptive, anthropologic matter regarding moral climate) does not imply that moral standards are arbitrary.
    As I understand moral standards, they are nothing if not arbitrary. constantly changing--- sometimes seemingly "forward" and other times seemingly "backwards."

That simply contradicts your actual view that moral standards are hitched to God alone.
    I know I have argued that anything inherently good is attached to God, but I don't know that I've made the same argument for morals--- excepting the good that is in them, of course.

To the extent that you go outside of this and offer any reasons that have nothing to do with good being simply comprised of God-definition, you will start contradicting your own view.
    This is the only agent whose existence predicates all other existence.
    Without Him, there is nothing.

As far as your objection related to explanatory priority, can you be more specific as to your exact misgiving?
  7. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    07 Apr '14 00:42
    Originally posted by Suzianne

Logic is logic. It is infallible. Everything conforms to logic - like Mathematics it is pure, unchanging and unreliant on gods or Man.
  8. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    07 Apr '14 01:00
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    Logic is logic. It is infallible. Everything conforms to logic - like Mathematics it is pure, unchanging and unreliant on gods or Man.
    I don't think you understand how logic works.
  9. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    07 Apr '14 02:38
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    I don't think you understand how logic works.
    Educate me O Wise One.
  10. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    07 Apr '14 13:43
    This is an argument aimed at a theist who is committed to all the following (1) through (4):

[b](1)
    God is, by definition, all-knowing.

(3) If God freely ...[text shortened]... rgument is moot. Alternatively, of course, find and point out some error(s) within my argument.[/b]
    are you claiming that because god is perfectly rational and omniscient, and always chooses the best course of action, he must not have free will?

this is what i got from this rather long and tiring post.
  11. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    07 Apr '14 14:31
    This is pretty much my problem with this whole "logic experiment" also.

But I'm far from a logic major, it took extreme measures for me to pass the few logic courses I did take. All I know is putting man's limits on God doesn't work too well, for whatever reason it's done.
    How hard is it to look at statements (1) through (4) and determine if you agree with them or not?

People act like this is some great ordeal they just aren't willing to endure. And yet they will respond to many other posts containing many more statements than that.
  12. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    07 Apr '14 14:51
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    How hard is it to look at statements (1) through (4) and determine if you agree with them or not?

People act like this is some great ordeal they just aren't willing to endure. And yet they will respond to many other posts containing many more statements than that.
    Because the post continues into "evil" territory by then taking those statements and making up some grand theory based on a supposed "logical" denial of those statements.

So no, I'm not playing his game. For a game it is.
  13. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    07 Apr '14 16:00
    Because the post continues into "evil" territory by then taking those statements and making up some grand theory based on a supposed "logical" denial of those statements.

So no, I'm not playing his game. For a game it is.
    It's the 'game' of debate. Without engagement, without contesting ideas, why bother coming here?
  14. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    07 Apr '14 16:15
    It's the 'game' of debate. Without engagement, without contesting ideas, why bother coming here?
    That would be great, SG, if only he didn't present it as the only logical conclusion to come to. That just ain't so.
  15. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    07 Apr '14 16:17
    You should direct this question at Grampy Bobby. 🙂

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree