Forgivness

Forgivness

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

V

Windsor, Ontario

Moves
03 Sep 11

Originally posted by sonhouse
Nah, when we are slighted, we go after the entire family that slights us. Get the grandparents too and their pet dog.
are you sure you're not talking about the bible-god?

Yo! Its been

Me, all along

Moves
03 Sep 11
1 edit

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
i dont think its a part of Judaism or Islam, not sure about Hinduism, Buddhism or others
. Both Judaism and Islam put the emphasis on reparation being made, rather than
forgiveness being exercised.
I haven't read enough to know this myself, but if wikki be a true reference-

From wikki;
"It is forbidden to be obdurate and not allow yourself to be appeased. On the contrary, one should be easily pacified and find it difficult to become angry. When asked by an offender for forgiveness, one should forgive with a sincere mind and a willing spirit. . . forgiveness is natural to the seed of Israel." (Mishneh Torah, Teshuvah 2:10)
The Qur'an makes it clear that, whenever possible, it is better to forgive another than to attack another. The Qur'an describes the believers (Muslims)
as those who, avoid gross sins and vice, and when angered they forgive. (Qur'an 42:37)

For the others you mentioned, they are there too; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forgiveness

Yo! Its been

Me, all along

Moves
03 Sep 11

Originally posted by FMF
Forgiveness is ok. But empathy is more crucial when it comes to ethics, morals and people getting along.
Isn't empathy part of it, to empathise with the other persons feelings when they wronged you is the understanding part isn't it?

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
03 Sep 11

Bruce may have been a Buddhist and he may not have needed to forgive; but he sure new how to reap the red wrath of kick-ass pay-back.

rc

Moves
03 Sep 11
1 edit

Originally posted by yo its me
I haven't read enough to know this myself, but if wikki be a true reference-

From wikki;
"It is forbidden to be obdurate and not allow yourself to be appeased. On the contrary, one should be easily pacified and find it difficult to become angry. When asked by an offender for forgiveness, one should forgive with a sincere mind and a willing spirit. . . For the others you mentioned, they are there too; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forgiveness
Judaism is based upon the Mosaic Law, it has ordinances which require reparation to be
made, regardless of what the Mishna recommends, i can list them if you like. Islamic
law also requires that some form of reparation be made, that is why you will often find
those involved in a lawsuit willing to give/take payment as a reparation for some crime
involving death or guilt of a loved one, regardless of what the Koran advises. These
references that you cited are merely recommendations as opposed to actual
ordinances.

Christianity is not law based, it has as its basis the faculty of conscience and the
example of self sacrifice and forgiveness, it is thus, in this respect superior and for this
i make no apology, nor will i be induced to do so.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
03 Sep 11

Originally posted by VoidSpirit
are you sure you're not talking about the bible-god?
The thing is, I was wondering why he would connect atheism with forgiveness, like not believing in god means you are some kind of cold cruel character all of a sudden but say you are recently converted to atheism and back then you were all sweetness and light.

Why would anyone bring this up as a valid debate point at all?

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
03 Sep 11

Originally posted by Suzianne
Those crazy Nihilists...

😀

(DISCLAIMER: This is meant as a joke. I do not think Buddhists are crazy. So please don't come after my grandmother or my dog, thanks.)
Just be sure the joke is not about Mohammed.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
03 Sep 11

Originally posted by Suzianne
Agreed.

"Turning the other cheek" is ok. But the higher calling is to "Love thy neighbor as thyself".
This is another reason not to make a joke about Mohammed.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
03 Sep 11

The thing is, I was wondering why he would connect atheism with forgiveness, like not believing in god means you are some kind of cold cruel character all of a sudden but say you are recently converted to atheism and back then you were all sweetness and light.

Why would anyone bring this up as a valid debate point at all?
I don't think he brought this up as a debate point. He was just curious
as to the attitude of the atheist toward the helpfulness or value of
forgiveness to the individual who forgives. We apparently have a few
atheist on this forum that might be able to answer his question, not
debate with him. When Jesus said, "Turn the other cheek" he was
referring to forgiveness not to "do not defend yourself" as most
atheist take it to mean.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
03 Sep 11
1 edit

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
03 Sep 11

Originally posted by RJHinds
atheist take it to mean.
For me, forgiveness or not should have nothing to do with what a religion says about the issue. It is pretty simple, does the person causing the slight come back with humility or is he or she just being arrogant? That makes the difference for me.

I have a hard time with forgiveness in the face of blatant arrogance or lack of remorse.

Moves
03 Sep 11
1 edit

Forgiveness is completely depended on the action, regardless of which religion you may or may not be a part of.

I'm not going to sit here and listen to someone who says that they would 'forgive' someone for killing a close member of their family.

Moves
03 Sep 11

Originally posted by RJHinds
atheist take it to mean.
'she'

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
03 Sep 11

For me, forgiveness or not should have nothing to do with what a religion says about the issue. It is pretty simple, does the person causing the slight come back with humility or is he or she just being arrogant? That makes the difference for me.

I have a hard time with forgiveness in the face of blatant arrogance or lack of remorse.
That is a good start toward the answer. But the main idea is when you
forgive someone that has come back in humility and apologizes, do you
feel your act of forgiveness also benefits you in any way?

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
03 Sep 11

Originally posted by trev33
'she'
Sorry, I did not pickup on the gender issue.