Feeling

Feeling

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

D

St. Peter's

Moves
23 Jun 11

Originally posted by buckky
Is all religious or spiritual belief based on nothing more than feeling ? I'm not knocking the feeling part of life, but how many out there got involved with a religion because it sounded logical. I get in trouble because of my feeling overload. My personality type is a INFJ according the Meyers Briggs test. People like me get involved with cults and airy fairy crap because of the feeling out weighing the thinking. Discernment is needed.
perhaps you should read some philosophy. Many philosophers base their belief on reason. Pascal's wager makes pretty good sense...

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
23 Jun 11

Originally posted by buckky
How did you work it out ?
It is much too long a story and too difficult for me to explain.
I hope that you will be able to do the same, if you wish.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
24 Jun 11

Here is some research showing magnetic stimulation of a certain part of the right brain can give an artificial religious or spiritual feeling in most people who took part in the study. It seems to show religious feelings are in our brains, not from supernatural forces:

http://www.suite101.com/content/seat-of-religious-feelings-located-in-right-brain-a293335

Cape Town

Moves
24 Jun 11

Originally posted by Doward
Pascal's wager makes pretty good sense...
No it doesn't. It is the sort of logic (or lack thereof) typical of Christians trying to justify their beliefs through logic - when in reality hold those beliefs for other reasons.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
24 Jun 11

Originally posted by twhitehead
No it doesn't. It is the sort of logic (or lack thereof) typical of Christians trying to justify their beliefs through logic - when in reality hold those beliefs for other reasons.
You sound like an angry person. Just relax. Don't worry. Be happy.

Illinois

Moves
24 Jun 11

What about Pascal's wager doesn't make good sense to you?

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
24 Jun 11

Originally posted by sonhouse
Here is some research showing magnetic stimulation of a certain part of the right brain can give an artificial religious or spiritual feeling in most people who took part in the study. It seems to show religious feelings are in our brains, not from supernatural forces:

http://www.suite101.com/content/seat-of-religious-feelings-located-in-right-brain-a293335
So atheists must be left brain dominated.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
24 Jun 11
1 edit

I took the Right Brain/Left Brain Quiz on the web the following is the result:

The higher of these two numbers below indicates which side of your brain has dominance in your life. Realising your right brain/left brain tendancy will help you interact with and to understand others.

Left Brain Dominance: (8)
Right Brain Dominance: (5)

Addition: Why am I not an Atheist?

Cornovii

North of the Tamar

Moves
24 Jun 11

Originally posted by RJHinds
For the word of the cross is to those who are perishing foolishness, but to us
who are being saved it is the power of God. For it is written,

"I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and the cleverness of the clever I
will set aside." (1 Corinthians 1:18-19)
How much do you want to bet he doesn't?!

Cornovii

North of the Tamar

Moves
24 Jun 11

Originally posted by sonhouse

The God Helmet.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/God_helmet

Cornovii

North of the Tamar

Moves
24 Jun 11

Originally posted by RJHinds
I took the Right Brain/Left Brain Quiz on the web the following is the result:

The higher of these two numbers below indicates which side of your brain has dominance in your life. Realising your right brain/left brain tendancy will help you interact with and to understand others.

Left Brain Dominance: (8)
Right Brain Dominance: (5)

Addition: Why am I not an Atheist?
You're too scared.

D

St. Peter's

Moves
24 Jun 11

it makes perfect sense, that's what makes you so angry

D

St. Peter's

Moves
24 Jun 11

1."God is, or He is not"

2. A Game is being played... where heads or tails will turn up.

3. According to reason, you can defend neither of the propositions.

4. You must wager. It is not optional.

5. Let us weigh the gain and the loss in wagering that God is. Let us estimate these two chances. If you gain, you gain all; if you lose, you lose nothing.

6. Wager, then, without hesitation that He is. (...) There is here an infinity of an infinitely happy life to gain, a chance of gain against a finite number of chances of loss, and what you stake is finite. And so our proposition is of infinite force, when there is the finite to stake in a game where there are equal risks of gain and of loss, and the infinite to gain.

Cape Town

Moves
24 Jun 11

Originally posted by epiphinehas
What about Pascal's wager doesn't make good sense to you?
It doesn't make any sense unless you are trying to justify holding irrational beliefs. Maybe you could give your understanding of the wager and I will point out why it doesn't make any sense.

Cape Town

Moves
24 Jun 11

Originally posted by Doward
it makes perfect sense, that's what makes you so angry
What gave you the incorrect idea that I am angry?