False religion.

False religion.

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
13 Feb 12

Originally posted by FMF
Do you mean to say that "those that speak against God and His Christ" - in your view - actually do believe in them but are lying about it?
In a way and I suspect you are high on the list of pretenders.

F

Moves
13 Feb 12

Originally posted by RJHinds
In a way and I suspect you are high on the list of pretenders.
But how do you figure that a person whose belief system is not Christian is a "liar"?

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
13 Feb 12

Originally posted by FMF
But how do you figure that a person whose belief system is not Christian is a "liar"?
I don't completely understand it, but that is just the way it is.

F

Moves
13 Feb 12

I don't completely understand it, but that is just the way it is.
I taught my two sons what a "lie" is when they were about 4 or 5 years old and they are now 8 and 11 years old and they are able to use the words "lie", "liar" and "lying" correctly. You say you've raised children too. Did you teach them what "lying" is? Did you teach them to use the word "liar" in the same way as you use it?

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
13 Feb 12

Originally posted by FMF
I taught my two sons what a "lie" is when they were about 4 or 5 years old and they are now 8 and 11 years old and they are able to use the words "lie", "liar" and "lying" correctly. You say you've raised children too. Did you teach them what "lying" is? Did you teach them to use the word "liar" in the same way as you use it?
It has been a long time ago so I don't remember. What is important for
you is that claiming to be a theist is not good enough. YOU MUST DECIDE
WHAT GOD YOU WORSHIP.

F

Moves
13 Feb 12
1 edit

It has been a long time ago so I don't remember.
Why do you call people who have different beliefs "liars" when you presumably realise that you are using the word incorrectly? What do you think you achieve by misusing the word?

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
13 Feb 12

Originally posted by FMF
Why do you call people who have different beliefs "liars" when you presumably realise that you are using the word incorrectly? What do you think you achieve by misusing the word?
lie

noun
a false statement made with deliberate intent to deceive; an intentional untruth; a falsehood.

something intended or serving to convey a false impression; imposture: His flashy car was a lie that deceived no one.

an inaccurate or false statement.

the charge or accusation of lying: He flung the lie back at his accusers.

verb (used without object)
to speak falsely or utter untruth knowingly, as with intent to deceive.

to express what is false; convey a false impression.

How does my use of the word not conform to one of these defintions?
What other meaning do you think I am giving it?

F

Moves
13 Feb 12
1 edit

lie

noun
a false statement made with deliberate intent to deceive; an intentional untruth; a falsehood.

something intended or serving to convey a false impression; imposture: His flashy car was a lie that deceived no one.

an inaccurate or false statement.

the charge or accusation of lying: He flung the lie back at his acc ...[text shortened]... he word not conform to one of these defintions?
What other meaning do you think I am giving it?
People talk about their beliefs here. Just because you believe something is "true" does not mean a person who believes something different is telling a "lie". What do you think you achieve by misusing the word "liar" to suggest that people are deceiving you [or others], or giving a dishonest account of their beliefs, when - in fact - they are simply expressing the fact that do not share your beliefs?

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
13 Feb 12
1 edit

Originally posted by FMF
People talk about their beliefs here. Just because you believe something is "true" does not mean a person who believes something different is telling a "lie". What do you think you achieve by misusing the word "liar" to suggest that people are deceiving you [or others], or giving a dishonest account of their beliefs, when - in fact - they are simply expressing the fact that do not share your beliefs?
People can believe many things that may not be true, but they lie when the
make an inaccurate or false statement when they speak of their beliefs.

P.S. YOU MUST DECIDE WHAT GOD YOU WORSHIP.

V

Windsor, Ontario

Moves
13 Feb 12

P.S. YOU MUST DECIDE WHAT GOD YOU WORSHIP.
why must he decide this?

F

Moves
13 Feb 12

People can believe many things that may not be true, but they lie when the
make an inaccurate or false statement when they speak of their beliefs.
The "inaccurate or false statement" must be made intentionally and must be intended to deceive for it to be a "lie". You use the word "lie" and "liar" incorrectly.

F

Moves
13 Feb 12

YOU MUST DECIDE WHAT GOD YOU WORSHIP.
This may well be true for you. However I am not a religionist and I do not need or seek the kind of 'off the shelf certainties' that religionist codes and literature provide.

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
13 Feb 12

YOU MUST DECIDE WHAT GOD YOU WORSHIP.
You seem to think there is some mileage in pressing this point. If FMF says he feels there is a god but doesn't have a name for it, surely that is sufficient space in itself for a discussion with him?

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
13 Feb 12

Originally posted by FMF
This may well be true for you. However I am not a religionist and I do not need or seek the kind of 'off the shelf certainties' that religionist codes and literature provide.
Perhaps if you made up a name for your god it would help RJ?

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
13 Feb 12

Originally posted by FMF
The "inaccurate or false statement" must be made intentionally and must be intended to deceive for it to be a "lie". You use the word "lie" and "liar" incorrectly.
See definition number 3.