Fabians View

Fabians View

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

l

London

Moves
18 Oct 06

Originally posted by FabianFnas
How do you think your belief will be respected when you don’t respect others beliefs?

Do you really think that you have the absolute Truth on your hand, and no one else? Who are you, God himself?
Do you think your second paragraph is an example of "respecting" other people's beliefs?

F

Moves
18 Oct 06
1 edit

Originally posted by lucifershammer
Do you think your second paragraph is an example of "respecting" other people's beliefs?
liteswordatlitespeed wrote:
"Man all these idiots trying to take down Christianity at the root...
Does God exist... The obvious answer is... Yes"

I answered:
"How do you think your belief will be respected when you don’t respect others beliefs?
Do you really think that you have the absolute Truth on your hand, and no one else? Who are you, God himself?"

You write:
"Do you think your second paragraph is an example of "respecting" other people's beliefs?"

One of my principles is to respect every one that respects every one else. My strong feeling is that liteswordatlitespeed doesn't respect others by calling them 'idiots'. Therefore I don't have any obligation to respect him.
But I never disrespected him by calling him 'idiot' or something alike, just by asking him if he has the absolute Truth himself, as only God himself can have.

Now, do you really think he can't stand my criticism? Do you really think his faith in his God is so weak so he can't stand my words?
I don't think so. He has God on his side, doesn't he?

l

London

Moves
18 Oct 06
1 edit

liteswordatlitespeed wrote:
"Man all these idiots trying to take down Christianity at the root...
Does God exist... The obvious answer is... Yes"

I answered:
"How do you think your belief will be respected when you don’t respect others beliefs?
Do you really think that you have the absolute Truth on your hand, and no one else? Who are you, God can't stand my words?
I don't think so. He has God on his side, doesn't he?
One of my principles is to respect every one that respects every one else.

Either you're a hypocrite for saying that you only respect those who respect "everyone else" (since you clearly don't respect everyone else); or you simply mean that you respect those who respect you and your views.

Further, you don't need be God himself to see that certain views are erroneous and not worthy of respect. If I say that your RHP handle is not FabianFnas, then I am simply wrong. You are under no obligation to "respect" my view out of some misguided sense of tolerance. Nor would you be disrespecting me for pointing out that I'm just plain wrong.

EDIT: I didn't say he can't stand your criticism. So what are you on about in your last paragraph?

F

Moves
18 Oct 06

[b]One of my principles is to respect every one that respects every one else.

Either you're a hypocrite for saying that you only respect those who respect "everyone else" (since you clearly don't respect everyone else); or you simply mean that you respect those who respect you and your views.

Further, you don't need be God himself to see tha ...[text shortened]... tolerance. Nor would you be disrespecting me for pointing out that I'm just plain wrong.[/b]
Then you have misunderstood my words or have different opinions about the value of 'respect'.

l

London

Moves
18 Oct 06
1 edit

Then you have misunderstood my words or have different opinions about the value of 'respect'.
Why don't you explain it to me?

You're basically saying that no religion has the fullness of Truth* and therefore must accept every other religion as valid. Anyone who says their religion is "true" and others are not does not "respect" other religions; in your view, they are not themselves worthy of respect.

Correct?

* Not to be confused with 'complete Truth', i.e. the answers to everything.

F

Moves
18 Oct 06

Why don't you explain it to me?

You're basically saying that no religion has the fullness of Truth* and therefore must accept every other religion as valid. Anyone who says their religion is "true" and others are not does not "respect" other religions; in your view, they are not themselves worthy of respect.

Correct?

* Not to be confused with 'complete Truth', i.e. the answers to everything.
Well, calling people of another opinion for idiots can't be said to show others respect. Can we agree to that?

About validity of other religions is a totally another question. To say that one must respect other religions doesn't say that you have to agree on everything the other religion states, not at all. The respect for other religions is to give everyone the right to believe in what he thinks being a valid truth. I don't demand you to agree of what I say, but I do want the right to believe whatever I want (to certain extents).

I am basically saying that no religion has monopoly on The Truth, that's right, and I think this covers it all. What The Truth really is, we may, perhaps, experience after our own death.

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
18 Oct 06

This is interesting. Does an religion own The Truth?

For example:
Jesus is thought for a Christian that Jesus is divine, son of god, right? It is considered being a Truth.
Jesus is thought for a Muslim that Jesus is one of the most important prophets, but not the son of God. It is also considered being a Truth.
Jesus is known for Jews, not to be so ...[text shortened]...
Every religion member who says 'Mine, Mine!!!" is not worthy of any respect, in my opoinion.
Because I think no religion can claim absolute truth (and all of them need such claims, especially the institutionalized ones) is one of the reasons why I'm not a theist.

What purpose can religion serve if it makes no absolute claims about spirituality?

Note also that a religion claiming absolute truth on one issue is not tantamount to intolerance, as I think you are implying. It all depends on the reaction when faced with someone who believes otherwise.

l

London

Moves
18 Oct 06
1 edit

Well, calling people of another opinion for idiots can't be said to show others respect. Can we agree to that?

About validity of other religions is a totally another question. To say that one must respect other religions doesn't say that you have to agree on everything the other religion states, not at all. The respect for other religions is to give ev is covers it all. What The Truth really is, we may, perhaps, experience after our own death.
I think we agree basically on the issue of 'respect'.

I am still not sure what you mean by "no religion has monopoly on The Truth". If religion A says that X is true about God, and religion B says that ~X is true about God -- then one and only one of them can be correct (given that God exists). On this matter, religion A (and other religions that agree with it) would indeed have a "monopoly on The Truth".

l

London

Moves
18 Oct 06

Originally posted by Palynka
Because I think no religion can claim absolute truth (and all of them need such claims, especially the institutionalized ones) is one of the reasons why I'm not a theist.

What purpose can religion serve if it makes no absolute claims about spirituality?

Note also that a religion claiming absolute truth on one issue is not tantamount to intolerance, as ...[text shortened]... ou are implying. It all depends on the reaction when faced with someone who believes otherwise.
What do you mean by "absolute truth"?

See also my question to Fabian's point on "monopoly of The Truth".

a

Moves
18 Oct 06

Originally posted by timebombted
Earth exists = True
Heaven exists = Unknown
God = unknown

So how can we have proof that someone knows something when they themselves are unproven and the thing you claim they know is also unproven.

Go on give us one last effort........ careful....... really think this time....
Take a look at this and see what heaven me.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/heaven

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
18 Oct 06

What do you mean by "absolute truth"?

See also my question to Fabian's point on "monopoly of The Truth".
I believe it's exactly what you mean by Truth.

l

Moves
18 Oct 06

ok i admit idiots was too heavy of a word. just forget i ever said that thing.

I cant keep up with your arguments.

list the problems you have with the Bible, heaven, God, or anything else like that in a neat bulleted list and i will respond to each one of them as they come.

l

London

Moves
18 Oct 06
1 edit

Originally posted by Palynka
I believe it's exactly what you mean by Truth.
Okay. For the moment let's just use G as a catch-all term to refer to the theistic God, Brahman, Eternal Truth, whatever.

1. Do you think it's possible for a religion A to assert a true proposition about G?

2. Do you think it's possible for a religion B to exist such that every proposition it currently asserts about G is true?

3. Do you think it's possible for a religion C to exist such that every proposition it currently asserts about G is true and it currently asserts every true proposition about G that is asserted by any other religion?

a

Moves
18 Oct 06

Originally posted by liteswordatlitespeed
ok i admit idiots was too heavy of a word. just forget i ever said that thing.

I cant keep up with your arguments.

list the problems you have with the Bible, heaven, God, or anything else like that in a neat bulleted list and i will respond to each one of them as they come.
I have a big problem with it. You claim the the bible teach you that Juses is GOD. Where in the bible did Juses say "I'm GOD, worship me. I'm your GOD came for your salvation". And I mean that Juses say that during his 3 years lifetime.

Answer this point and we can move to another point

l

Moves
18 Oct 06

Aquinas was using "motion" in the Aristotelian sense of "change" or "transformation".
no he was using the universe spinning. get your facts straight.