"evil"

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

E

Moves
15 Mar 08

does evil exist? what is good and evil? are we not just animals with no more of a significant existence of every other animal? if so, is there any significance to morals at all?

s

Moves
15 Mar 08
1 edit

Originally posted by EcstremeVenom
does evil exist? what is good and evil? are we not just animals with no more of a significant existence of every other animal? if so, is there any significance to morals at all?
Evil doesn't exist by itself, like in Good/Evil dichotomy.
We are no more then intelligent animals, who coexist in a society that could fabricate a morale and evolve throughout centuries.
Morale is in continuous evolution, and is by no means absolute. It's society dependent. Morale has a significance and importance to us all. We are educated with a morale so we can live in society pacifically.
What's is considered as an evil thing tday, certainly was not 500 years ago in europe, or during present day in south american indians.

M
Quis custodiet

ipsos custodes?

Moves
15 Mar 08

Originally posted by serigado
We are no more then intelligent animals, who coexist in a society that could fabricate a morale and evolve throughout centuries.
Morale is in continuous evolution, and is by no mean absolute. It's society dependent. Morale has a significance and importance to us all. We are educated with a morale ...[text shortened]... ow, certainly was not 500 years ago in europe, or with present day in south american indians.
Well said, all morality has to be the product of society. Otherwise we would instinctively know absolute right from wrong.

We don't.

Look as the various societies that think things we do are amoral/evil.... And Vice/Versa

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
17 Mar 08
1 edit

Morale is in continuous evolution, and is by no means absolute. It's society dependent. Morale has a significance and importance to us all. We are educated with a moral , certainly was not 500 years ago in europe, or during present day in south american indians.
I agree evil cannot exist without good; however, that does not change
the question or the answer if the question is, does evil exist?

If you only bring up personal taste as a judgment of what we use as
a measuring stick for good and evil, than it only exists where we are
as we like or dislike things. It than only becomes a function of
personal tastes nothing more, nothing less. If it is something that
is beyond human taste it is something we should look at a little
closer.

The thiing I think could cloud this discussion is that I do believe in
some cases we do set the bar, our tastes matter, in other cases
not so much.
Kelly

Lord

Sewers of Holland

Moves
17 Mar 08

We use morals to regulate society. What's safer for your neighbour is safer for you too.

T

USA

Moves
19 Mar 08

There's no such thing as evil, just evil acts. A tool is just that, a tool, unless you use it as a weapon. So is a person's acts and thoughts.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
19 Mar 08

Originally posted by Tooner
There's no such thing as evil, just evil acts. A tool is just that, a tool, unless you use it as a weapon. So is a person's acts and thoughts.
That is like saying there is no such thing as blue just blue items.
Kelly

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
19 Mar 08

Originally posted by shavixmir
We use morals to regulate society. What's safer for your neighbour is safer for you too.
So you believe in evil?
Kelly

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
19 Mar 08

Morale is in continuous evolution, and is by no means absolute. It's society dependent. Morale has a significance and importance to us all. We are educated with a moral ...[text shortened]... , certainly was not 500 years ago in europe, or during present day in south american indians.
So in your opinion evil is just what we think at the moment?
Kelly

Ursulakantor

Pittsburgh, PA

Moves
19 Mar 08

Originally posted by KellyJay
So in your opinion evil is just what we think at the moment?
How does that differ from the definition of evil being whatever God thinks at the moment?

Nemesio

s

Moves
19 Mar 08

I want to dedicate a song to you all:

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
19 Mar 08

1) Define evil.
2) There are many possible definitions.
3) Yes, we are animals. Are we more or less significant than other animals? Well, depends. Significant to who? I'd say humans are more significant to me than other animals. I have to interact with them every day; if I'm gonna breed, it's going to be with one of them; my parents are humans; plus we are capable of nuking. That's significant.
4) IF we are no more significant than other animals, then yes, morals are still significant. It's part of how our social interactions are organized for maximum effectiveness of the species and individual.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
19 Mar 08

Originally posted by Nemesio
How does that differ from the definition of evil being whatever God thinks at the moment?

Nemesio
Oh maybe because God sets all the laws of the universe and we do
not.
Kelly

T

Moves
19 Mar 08
1 edit

We do 'instinctively' know absolute right from wrong. The problem is that this is masked by an instinct toward selfish behavior.

If 'morality' seems to be different from culture to culture it is because at least one of the cultures is not truly moral. This is also true of the 'morality' of a single culture that has changed over time.

anybody seen my

underpants??

Moves
19 Mar 08

Originally posted by KellyJay
That is like saying there is no such thing as blue just blue items.
Kelly
wrong. his is an apt comparison, evil is an adjective, adjectives describe things that exist, they don't exist themselves. OH look! there goes a red! Hey did you see that pretty last night? Please hand me the cold. get it?