Evil people

Evil people

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

b
Filthy sinner

Outskirts of bliss

Moves
20 Jan 11

It appears to me the fast majority of people are decent good people. Evil people seem rare. At least I don't run across them that often. Usually if someone appears to be evil it might be that they are mentally ill.I don't care what religion you belong to, or if you have no religion most people are good not evil. Born bad is a wacky idea.

L

Moves
20 Jan 11
1 edit

Originally posted by buckky
It appears to me the fast majority of people are decent good people. Evil people seem rare. At least I don't run across them that often. Usually if someone appears to be evil it might be that they are mentally ill.I don't care what religion you belong to, or if you have no religion most people are good not evil. Born bad is a wacky idea.
Born bad is a wacky idea.

Yes, to focus so much energy on what are putatively lowborn characteristics of oneself is not really in one's better interests; nor is it a particularly good use of one's reflective energy; nor is it the best (or even a particularly good) way of bringing about meaningful personal transformation.

However, when viewed as an endogenous feature of self-sustaining religion, it makes quite a bit more sense. If you can become convinced that you're no good and somehow it is your fault and you deserve eternal damnation; and that religion is the only way out; then religion becomes in a sense indispensable, and this feature becomes self-serving.

Of course, not all religious settings call upon one to focus so much negative reflective energy on oneself, though.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
20 Jan 11

What is evil in your eyes?
People who.....
Kelly

Cape Town

Moves
20 Jan 11

I don't think you can accurately label anyone 'good' or 'evil'. We all think and act according to a balance of our interests, some of which are selfish, some of which are unselfish and most of which involve a balance between the two. Very few commit acts that harm others without any personal benefit.
So what it really comes down to is where you put the balance between helping and not harming others and helping and not harming yourself.
Did you donate all your money to help save the lives of starving people in Africa? If not, are you evil? If you steal a small amount from everyone in the country by cheating on your taxes, are you evil? If you steal from a corporation are you evil? If you pirate a movie are you evil?
What about:
Supporting
Outright stealing from your neighbor?
Killing your neighbor to defend your property?
Killing your neighbor for his property?
Killing your neighbor for the fun of it?

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
20 Jan 11

Me and the bhuddists dont believe in evil, just ignorance

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
20 Jan 11

Seems like the archetypal "evil person" has been well portrayed in Hollywood for many years now.

b
Filthy sinner

Outskirts of bliss

Moves
20 Jan 11

Originally posted by KellyJay
What is evil in your eyes?
People who.....
Kelly
I think it is evil to send people to Hell. That is the most evil concept of them all. Hell is a nasty evil idea that should be dumped into the trash can of wrong concepts.

A
The 'edit'or

converging to it

Moves
20 Jan 11

I think it is evil to send people to Hell. That is the most evil concept of them all. Hell is a nasty evil idea that should be dumped into the trash can of wrong concepts.
How else is a religion going to attract or keep the loyalty of those within who are feeble-minded if no threat of eternal torture!?

s

Lowlands paradise

Moves
20 Jan 11

Originally posted by karoly aczel
Or do buddhists believe that evil is a derivate of ignorance?
I think that evilness is a lack of something and not something autonomous. Evilness is to me the absence of goodness. Like darkness is the absence of light and emptiness the lack of ....

m
Ajarn

Wat?

Moves
20 Jan 11

I was going to respond in my own words. However, it is bed time for me.

http://buddhism.about.com/od/basicbuddhistteachings/a/evil.htm

I think a few theists and atheists should pursue reading this dialogue, and follow some of the other attachments.

Vishnavetu, you too!

I can't respond for another 19 hours, as I am in a different time from you.

Rip it, dispose of it, love it, engage; your decision!........ I will give you further insight tomorrow.

Sar Tu!

-m.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
20 Jan 11
1 edit

Okay, my question was what is an evil person, what type of person is that?
What type of things does a person do to be evil in your eyes?
Kelly

w

Moves
20 Jan 11

Seems like the archetypal "evil person" has been well portrayed in Hollywood for many years now.
I've often questioned where the line should be drawn between abject stupidity and wickedness. After all, the wicked think they can come out on top when it is all said and done.

b
Filthy sinner

Outskirts of bliss

Moves
20 Jan 11

Originally posted by KellyJay
Okay, my question was what is an evil person, what type of person is that?
What type of things does a person do to be evil in your eyes?
Kelly
I guess it would be intentionally doing something beyond ordinary limits that would cause distress or hurt to anyone or anything. Not caring that your action hurst others. Not following the Golden Rule. I know most people fail at being perfect, but few want to be bad. Hopelessly human is what most of us are.

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
20 Jan 11

Originally posted by souverein
Or do buddhists believe that evil is a derivate of ignorance?
I think that evilness is a lack of something and not something autonomous. Evilness is to me the absence of goodness. Like darkness is the absence of light and emptiness the lack of ....
Yeah, extrapolate all you want, and many have. But its just all ignorance. Perhaps you could say there are levels of ignorance. But it is not evil. It is ignorant of our true natures which is incapable of "evil".

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
20 Jan 11

Originally posted by whodey
I've often questioned where the line should be drawn between abject stupidity and wickedness. After all, the wicked think they can come out on top when it is all said and done.
But do they really come out on top? , when such vigilante minds such as yours are onto them 😉