1. Maryland
    Moves
    30 Dec '16 18:18
    Hitchen's Razor: What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence! There is no evidence that gods exist, so gods can be dismissed.
  2. Standard memberFetchmyjunk
    Garbage disposal
    Garbage dump
    Moves
    30 Dec '16 18:32
    Originally posted by 667joe
    Hitchen's Razor: What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence! There is no evidence that gods exist, so gods can be dismissed.
    Two people can look at the same evidence and reach two different conclusions.
  3. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    30 Dec '16 18:35
    Originally posted by Fetchmyjunk
    Two people can look at the same evidence and reach two different conclusions.
    Makes him feel good about being his own god.
  4. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    30 Dec '16 18:42
    Originally posted by Eladar
    Why does dismissing God make a person his own god?

If I dismiss the yeti, do I become abominable?
  5. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    30 Dec '16 18:58
    Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
    Why does dismissing God make a person his own god?

If I dismiss the yeti, do I become abominable?
    You are correct, he can replace God with any other god of his choosing. It could be society, the government, his stuffed bear.
  6. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    30 Dec '16 19:12

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

7. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    30 Dec '16 19:13
    An atheist was seated next to a little girl on an airplane and he turned to her and said, “Do you want to talk? Flights go quicker if you strike up a conversation with your fellow passenger.”

The little girl, who had just started to read her book, replied to the total stranger, “What would you want to talk about?”

“Oh, I don’t know,” said the atheist. “How about why there is no God, or no Heaven or Hell, or no life after death?” as he smiled smugly.

“Okay,” she said. “Those could be interesting topics but let me ask you a question first. A horse, a cow, and a deer all eat the same stuff – grass. Yet a deer excretes little pellets, while a cow turns out a flat patty, but a horse produces clumps. Why do you suppose that is?”

The atheist, visibly surprised by the little girl’s intelligence, thinks about it and says, “Hmmm, I have no idea.” To which the little girl replies, “Do you really feel qualified to discuss God, Heaven and Hell, or life after death, when you don’t know sh@t?”
  8. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    30 Dec '16 19:301 edit
    You are correct, he can replace God with any other god of his choosing. It could be society, the government, his stuffed bear.
    You make the common theist mistake of believing (because God is so important to you) that removing him from a person's life will leave a huge God shaped hole that the atheist will need to fill with something.

Sorry to report but there is no God shaped hole in my existence. Why would i feel compelled to replace something that doesn't exist? I worship nothing, and that includes money and status. I seek only to be happy and to see those around me happy. I march to the beat of my own drum.
  9. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    30 Dec '16 19:32
    Originally posted by whodey
    An atheist was seated next to a little girl on an airplane and he turned to her and said, “Do you want to talk? Flights go quicker if you strike up a conversation with your fellow passenger.”

The little girl, who had just started to read her book, replied to the total stranger, “What would you want to talk about?”

“Oh, I don’t know,” said the atheist. ...[text shortened]... feel qualified to discuss God, Heaven and Hell, or life after death, when you don’t know sh@t?”
    Atheism and religion are but two sides of the same coin. One prefers to use its head, while the other relies on tales.

(Disclaimer. - Atheism is a non-prophet organization).
  10. Maryland
    Moves
    30 Dec '16 19:36
    There is proof of "sh@t" but no proof of god. No one knows everything about everything, so your argument is a red herring.
  11. Standard memberFetchmyjunk
    Garbage disposal
    Garbage dump
    Moves
    30 Dec '16 19:44
    Why objective criteria can be used to determine what constitutes evidence?
  12. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    30 Dec '16 20:05
    Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
    You make the common theist mistake of believing (because God is so important to you) that removing him from a person's life will leave a huge God shaped hole that the atheist will need to fill with something.

Sorry to report but there is no God shaped hole in my existence. Why would i feel compelled to replace something that doesn't exist? I worsh ...[text shortened]... s. I seek only to be happy and to see those around me happy. I march to the beat of my own drum.
    Ahem.

I wouldn't go so far as to call what he does "a theist mistake".

He's a conservative. There are others here who aren't quite so stupid.

He's just ignorant.
  13. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    30 Dec '16 20:071 edit
    There is proof of "sh@t" but no proof of god. No one knows everything about everything, so your argument is a red herring.
    And there will never be absolute proof of God (well, not until it's too late), and so your argument is a red herring.
  14. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    30 Dec '16 20:10
    And judging others feels SO good, right?

It's about all you do here, you must be getting something out of it.
  15. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    30 Dec '16 20:12
    Where did everything come from? If you cannot tell us, I think you are missing more
    than a little evidence.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree