Evidence of Authenticity of Gospels

Evidence of Authenticity of Gospels

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
26 Feb 07

Originally posted by twhitehead
Surely this is only non-biblical evidence for Christians, which is not under dispute. They report on the existence of Chrisitans and their beliefs but do not provide any separate evidence for the existence of Jesus.
Tacitus, Pliny and Lucien are reporting only that there were Christians and some of their basic beliefs. That's not very convincing proof; we know Christians existed.

The Talmud says a Yeshua was "hanged" which the site tries to twist into "crucified". I think they would have known the difference. Besides, that isn't much proof either.

One of Josephus' references is a clear fake as even that cite concedes. The best evidence is the other reference about James being the Christus' brother. Considering the mass of Jewish and Roman historical writing in the first century, one oblique reference isn't much.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
26 Feb 07

Originally posted by eagleeye222001
Jesus' birth is foretold in the book of Isaiah. The Old Testament centers on God's chosen people and the prophets who lead them.

Interesting article. I like how it reads at the top "This document has been swiped from elsewhere on the internet."

I also like how the link to it's original source doesn't work.

I will read it and examine it.

...[text shortened]... pertaining to non-biblical evidence for Jesus.
http://www.probe.org/content/view/18/77/
Funny, God's Chosen People i.e. the Jews don't believe that Jesus' birth (if it happened) was of any special significance; they're still waiting for the Messiah foretold in the OT.

e
Eye rival to Saurons

Land of 64 Squares

Moves
26 Feb 07

Originally posted by twhitehead
So, do you now admit that there are other religions that have lasted longer than Christianity? How does this fit with your original claims?
Do you have any evidence for your 33% statistic? I find it very hard to believe. Are you including all the different denominations many of which deny that some of the other denominations are Christian? Are you including Jews and Muslims?
Yes I admit it. If those other religions have survived that long then I would think that they are not complete B.S. I did not mean to claim that all other religions were 100% "wrong." Sorry if it seemed like that.

As for the statistics

http://www.adherents.com/Religions_By_Adherents.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Major_religious_groups

http://exchristian.net/pics/worldreligions.html

http://www.geocities.com/richleebruce/mystat.html

e
Eye rival to Saurons

Land of 64 Squares

Moves
26 Feb 07

Originally posted by no1marauder
Funny, God's Chosen People i.e. the Jews don't believe that Jesus' birth (if it happened) was of any special significance; they're still waiting for the Messiah foretold in the OT.
They missed it. Jesus was Jewish.

e
Eye rival to Saurons

Land of 64 Squares

Moves
26 Feb 07

Tacitus, Pliny and Lucien are reporting only that there were Christians and some of their basic beliefs. That's not very convincing proof; we know Christians existed.

One of Josephus' references is a clear fake as even that cite concedes. The best evidence is the other reference about James being the Christus' brother. Considering the mass ...[text shortened]... Jewish and Roman historical writing in the first century, one oblique reference isn't much.
There is the paragraph

"

But even if we disregard the questionable parts of this passage, we are still left with a good deal of corroborating information about the biblical Jesus. We read that he was a wise man who performed surprising feats. And although He was crucified under Pilate, His followers continued their discipleship and became known as Christians. When we combine these statements with Josephus' later reference to Jesus as "the so-called Christ," a rather detailed picture emerges which harmonizes quite well with the biblical record. It increasingly appears that the "biblical Jesus" and the "historical Jesus" are one and the same!"

e
Eye rival to Saurons

Land of 64 Squares

Moves
26 Feb 07

You are correct.

God chose Jesus to be born into this group.

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
26 Feb 07

You are correct.

God chose Jesus to be born into this group.
To arrive at your perspective, you have to assume a number of things (eg. a creator God exists) that to many are not self-evident. You'll probably always talk at cross-purposes with people who don't share your assumptions.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
26 Feb 07

There is the paragraph

"

But even if we disregard the questionable parts of this passage, we are still left with a good deal of corroborating information about the biblical Jesus. We read that he was a wise man who performed surprising feats. And although He was crucified under Pilate, His followers continued their discipleship and became known ...[text shortened]... gly appears that the "biblical Jesus" and the "historical Jesus" are one and the same!"
That's what we call "spin".

You might not want to rely on the Talmud story of Yeshua as "proof" of Jesus:

story about a man named Yeshu can be found in the Talmud. There is debate whether this Yeshu in the Talmud is the same Jesus who later became a Christian divinity.

According to the Talmud, Yeshu was the son of a Jewish woman named Miriam who was betrothed to a carpenter. "Betrothed" means she was legally married to him, but she was not yet living with him or having sexual relations with him. The story says that Miriam was either raped by or voluntarily slept with Pandeira, a Greek or Roman soldier. Miriam than gave birth to Yeshu, who was considered a "mamzer" (bastard), a product of an adulterous relationship. The Talmud describes Yeshu as a heretic who dabbled in sorcery and lead the people astray. Later, the Sanhedrin (the Jewish "Supreme Court"😉 ordered Yeshu stoned to death and his dead body was hung from a tree until nightfall after his death, in accordance with the ancient Jewish punishment for heretics.

While some believe there is no connection between the Talmudic Yeshu and the Christian Jesus, others believe there is a connection. The main inconsistency between the Talmudic and Christian story is that during the time that Jesus was killed, the Romans ruled and the Sanhedrin did not have the power to impose the death penalty. Thus, some Jews believe that today's popular Christian ideas about Jesus are based on a melding of the Talmudic story of Yeshu and the historian Josephus' writing about Jesus, which included his execution by the Romans.

http://judaism.about.com/od/beliefs/a/jesus.htm

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
26 Feb 07

They missed it. Jesus was Jewish.
I'll let 'em know; once they have this information, I'm sure they'll all convert to Christianity.

e
Eye rival to Saurons

Land of 64 Squares

Moves
26 Feb 07

Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
To arrive at your perspective, you have to assume a number of things (eg. a creator God exists) that to many are not self-evident. You'll probably always talk at cross-purposes with people who don't share your assumptions.
Yes I am assuming God is or at least there is a supreme being. We can start another thread on this. Any other assumptions I am making that others are not?

e
Eye rival to Saurons

Land of 64 Squares

Moves
26 Feb 07

That's what we call "spin".

You might not want to rely on the Talmud story of Yeshua as "proof" of Jesus

-Why not?

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
26 Feb 07

Yes I am assuming God is or at least there is a supreme being. We can start another thread on this. Any other assumptions I am making that others are not?
You might want to think about that yourself.

Cape Town

Moves
26 Feb 07

Yes I admit it. If those other religions have survived that long then I would think that they are not complete B.S. I did not mean to claim that all other religions were 100% "wrong." Sorry if it seemed like that.
Thanks for the reference to the statistics.

So, you give some respect to religions for lasting over 2000 years. What about a religion which started last year but will last until 2000 years from now?
Why is it important to last a long time? Is this really an indication of the validity of any religious claims? Is a religion that lasts 1000 years better than one that lasts 500 years?

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
26 Feb 07
1 edit

Taoism- some facts from the website.

"Taoism started as a combination of psychology and philosophy but evolved into a religious faith in 440 CE when it was adopted as a state religion."

"Taoism currently has about 20 million followers"

Christianity has a lot more. 33% of the world.
Yeah, that means Christianity is correct. It didn't used to be; back in the day, Christianity was wrong. I mean...it wasn't the most popular religion in A.D. 50, so it must have been wrong back then!

And, since Islam is the fastest growing religion, soon it will be correct and Christianity will be wrong again.

t
True X X Xian

The Lord's Army

Moves
26 Feb 07

B.S. does not survive for 2,000 years.

The Bible has many different authors spanning many different times - what other work about heroes, demigods etc. share this trait?

The many different authors over different time periods give the Bible a much more credible account than something written by one person in one short time period.

What other w ...[text shortened]... pparent reason Christianity keeps spreading. I don't think B.S. could do that for 2,000 years!
You are so right. Following your logic therefore, I should become a Hindu. Surely, if surviving 2,000 years makes Christianity true, then surviving about 4,500 more must make Hinduism extra true!!!

from wiki:

"The earliest evidence for elements of Hinduism dates back as far as the late neolithic, to the early Harappan period (ca. 5500–3300 BCE).[51] The beliefs and practices of the pre-classical era (ca. 1500-500 BCE) are called the "Vedic religion". The oldest surviving text of Hinduism is the Rigveda, which is dated to between 1700–1100 BCE based on linguistic and philological evidence.[52]"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hinduism#History