Everything from nothing

Everything from nothing

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
20 Aug 15

Originally posted by Suzianne
And God said, Let there be light: and there was light.

(AKA the.Big Bang theory)

That's how.
Absolutely: "Ex nihilo is a Latin phrase meaning "out of nothing". It often appears in conjunction with the concept of creation, as in creatio ex nihilo, meaning "creation out of nothing"—chiefly in philosophical or theological contexts, but also occurs in other fields." https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ex_nihilo

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
20 Aug 15

Originally posted by Suzianne
And God said, Let there be light: and there was light.

(AKA the Big Bang theory)

That's how.
I get God can do it. What has to happen for nothing to produce something while doing
nothing with nothing? 🙂

itiswhatitis

oLd ScHoOl

Moves
20 Aug 15
1 edit

Originally posted by KellyJay
I get God can do it. What has to happen for nothing to produce something while doing
nothing with nothing? 🙂
If anyone says something can (literally) arrise from nothing try to find out if they mean 'absolute' nothing, or if they simply mean the 'appearance' of nothing. I for one would like to know how zero can become a number greater than zero without adding to zero a number greater than zero...

mathemagical science

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
20 Aug 15

Originally posted by googlefudge
Hey, I am not claiming to understand the physics of this.

This is deep quantum cosmology stuff and there are maybe 1000 people on the planet
if that who can credibly claim to come even close to understanding it. [probably less than that]

To have any kind of hope you would have to get a top quality undergrad masters degree in
physics/applied mat ...[text shortened]... point.

I do not know enough to understand the math itself.

Although I know people who do.
I dislike your answer since I don't believe it to be possible, that everything could come from
nothing while doing nothing with nothing.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
20 Aug 15

Originally posted by lemon lime
If anyone says something can (literally) arrise from nothing try to find out if they mean 'absolute' nothing, or if they simply mean the 'appearance' of nothing. I for one would like to know how zero can become a number greater than zero without adding to zero a number greater than zero...

mathemagical science
If this can be answered it would matter, but I don't think man has clue with this question.
So it is ignored, or the one asking it gets bashed to ignore it.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
20 Aug 15

mathemagical science
The appearance of nothing is not nothing, and if that is what they want to claim, they have
still refused to answer to the question.

Cape Town

Moves
20 Aug 15

I dislike your answer since I don't believe it to be possible, that everything could come from nothing while doing nothing with nothing.
You don't believe it, but your belief is not based on logic. It is just a belief based on nothing. How did your belief come about?

Cape Town

Moves
20 Aug 15

If this can be answered it would matter, but I don't think man has clue with this question. So it is ignored, or the one asking it gets bashed to ignore it.
Don't lie. It doesn't get ignored. Every single time you bring it up it gets addressed and you ignore the responses and come right back and ask again as if you haven't asked it many times before. Your failure to understand the responses or your deliberate ignoring of the responses does not equate to people ignoring the question. You get bashed (and rightly so) for your stubbornness in ignoring the responses not for asking the question.

Tum podem

Sewers of Holland

Moves
20 Aug 15

Do people honestly think everything could have come from nothing?

If so how?
Did God come from nothing?

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
20 Aug 15

Do people honestly think everything could have come from nothing?

If so how?
It's not even a "supernatural" concept, it is scientifically possible.

There will no doubt be better reads than these links.

http://www.bbc.com/earth/story/20141106-why-does-anything-exist-at-all

http://www.openculture.com/2012/01/lawrence_krauss_how_everything_comes_from_nothing.html

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
20 Aug 15

Yes, I believe something has always existed, what is your answer to the question?
But that stance is not even scriptural. I brief read of the start of the book of Genesis talks, albeit in ethereal terms, about what is clearly creation from nothing.

itiswhatitis

oLd ScHoOl

Moves
20 Aug 15

Originally posted by divegeester
But that stance is not even scriptural. I brief read of the start of the book of Genesis talks, albeit in ethereal terms, about what is clearly creation from nothing.
The book of Genesis does not say everything came from nothing. Atheism does not acknowledge God as the First Cause or as a cause for anything, so the only two options to look at are 1) it all literally came from nothing or 2) everything in one form or another has always existed.

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
20 Aug 15

The book of Genesis does not say everything came from nothing. Atheism does not acknowledge God as the First Cause or as a cause for anything, so the only two options to look at are 1) it all literally came from nothing or 2) everything in one form or another has always existed.
Before I engage with you further, do you believe that God created the heavens and the earth?

itiswhatitis

oLd ScHoOl

Moves
20 Aug 15
1 edit

Originally posted by divegeester
Before I engage with you further, do you believe that God created the heavens and the earth?
Of course I do, but if it's all the same to you I'd rather you disengage.

Cape Town

Moves
20 Aug 15
1 edit

Before this thread proceeds I think something needs to be mentioned even though I suspect every participant has heard it before but some are choosing to have forgotten.
There are two possibilities, time is infinite, or time is finite in the 'past' direction.
If time is infinite, so is space-time as time is a property of space. If space-time is infinite in the past direction then the 'nothing' we are talking about is empty space-time.
If time is finite in the past direction, then so is space-time and there was nothing prior to the start of time. However this is a true 'nothing' as in you really cant talk about it being there and having 'causes' in it and the universe coming from it. Phrases such as 'come from nothing' become somewhat incoherent. Because of the incoherence confusion sets in because people simply don't intuitively accept that time could have a beginning and imagine a 'before' in which there is an existent 'nothing' and demand an answer to the question how did that existent 'nothing' in the 'before time' change to 'something'. People then confuse this with an external timeline in which the universe is 'created' including space-time.

So, before you ask again 'how did something come from nothing?' try and be clear about what you really mean as taken at face value the question is incoherent.