Eternal Life, Is that all there is?

Eternal Life, Is that all there is?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

l

Moves
23 Apr 18

One of three initial responses to the title of this OP will likely happen right now straight out of the gate.

1. A first response may be; What do you mean "eternal life, is that all there is", what else is there?
2. A second response may be; I like where this is going let's discuss more!
3. A third response may be; This guy has lost it! Next.

Perhaps there are others responses... fire away. Hopefully your initial response is #2 which is what I would care to discuss.

Several threads of late focus on whether Jesus is God, whether faith only is required to goto heaven, whether works only is required to get eternal life, tangents in threads include do Christians even goto heaven or is it eternal life, does God have relationships with man, does Jesus have a relationship with man, is your bible corrupt, etc. I have found myself often getting engaged in what gets reduced to arguments over anything but the OP. I think it often happens with everybody here, no? The problem is, we all want to be right, we don't want to discuss, we want to make the other guy look bad and make ourselves look good. We resort to calling others names and saying some pretty nasty things... all the while calling ourselves Christians (those that claim to be Christians anyhow). Can you say, non edifying, not productive?

The OP, "Eternal Life, is that all there is?", to further expound on that question; is this life only about doing what is necessary to obtain eternal life (the next life), acepting some truth or performing some works? Is it about doing what we think is necessary to obtain eternal life? Believing something to obtain eternal life?

Don't misunderstand me, I want to spend eternity with the Lord but not for the obvious reasons one might think. You see there is something we sometimes overlook with regards to God and should remember first and foremost and that is, his Majesty, his Glory, his beauty, and he is beautiful in ways we cannot even imagine, who he is! He is so much more than just a life boat, and escaping the alternative and getting eternal life as if it is some sort of prize to work for or be won. We cannot earn eternal life.

Our desire to obtain eternal life should be not only to live on for all eternity but to glorify him as he deserves, and he deserves it! Our lives, if he truly lives within us whereas we are his and he is ours should radiate his glory more and more as we grow deeper and deeper in his Word, and in him.

In John 17, Jesus states;

John 17 New American Standard Bible (NASB)
The High Priestly Prayer

17 Jesus spoke these things; and lifting up His eyes to heaven, He said, “Father, the hour has come; glorify Your Son, that the Son may glorify You, 2 even as You gave Him authority over all flesh, that to all whom You have given Him, He may give eternal life. 3 This is eternal life, that they may know You, the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom You have sent. 4 I glorified You on the earth, having accomplished the work which You have given Me to do. 5 Now, Father, glorify Me together with Yourself, with the glory which I had with You before the world was.

The word 'know' in verse 3, means to know on the most intimate level as in a man knows his wife as one, it is in the deepest sense, it is a relationship. Trust, no pretense, no ulterior motive, no malice, it is pure.

Jesus is eternal life!

What are your thoughts, similar? Different?

T

Moves
23 Apr 18

Originally posted by @leunammi
One of three initial responses to the title of this OP will likely happen right now straight out of the gate.

1. A first response may be; What do you mean "eternal life, is that all there is", what else is there?

Perh ...[text shortened]... no malice, it is pure.

Jesus is eternal life!

What are your thoughts, similar? Different?
John 5
24“Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.
25“Truly, truly, I say to you, an hour is coming and now is, when the dead will hear the voice of the Son of God, and those who hear will live.
28“Do not marvel at this; for an hour is coming, in which all who are in the tombs will hear His voice, 29and will come forth; those who did the good deeds to a resurrection of life, those who committed the evil deeds to a resurrection of judgment.

l

Moves
23 Apr 18

Originally posted by @thinkofone
John 5
24“Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.
25“Truly, truly, I say to you, an hour is coming and now is, when the dead will hear the voice of the Son of God, and those who hear will live.
28“Do not marvel at th ...[text shortened]... to a resurrection of life, those who committed the evil deeds to a resurrection of judgment
.[/b]
Which judgement do think this speaks of? Great white throne?

F

Moves
23 Apr 18

4. Why do people think "Is that all there is?" about mortality and a finite life when life, in fact, presents us with such an amazing opportunity and experience?

5. Why do people who think there is a divine creator invariably leap from that to believing that there must, therefore, be "eternal life"?

Intended as an aside only.

T

Moves
23 Apr 18
4 edits

Which judgement do think this speaks of? Great white throne?
In John 5:28-28 Jesus makes it clear that only "those who committed the evil deeds" come forth "to a resurrection of judgment".

Therefore "those who did the good deeds" (who come forth "to a resurrection of life" ) do "not come into judgement".

This is consistent with what He said in John 5:24-25. This is what is of importance.

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
23 Apr 18

Originally posted by @thinkofone
In John 5:28-28 Jesus makes it clear that only "those who committed the evil deeds" come forth "to a resurrection of judgment".

Therefore "those who did the good deeds" come forth "to a resurrection of life" do "not come into judgement".

This is consistent with what He said in John 5:24-25.
And the battle between the church doctrine znd the bible continues.

You would have thought it would be the same.... no chance of that

l

Moves
24 Apr 18

Originally posted by @rajk999

What specifically are you referring to when you say that?

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
24 Apr 18
1 edit

I wish Christians would stop talking about "going to heaven."

As to the question - Eternal Life, is that all there is? -

I'll think on it. But I would say "eternal life" is not only endless duration. I think it means limitless quality.

l

Moves
24 Apr 18

Originally posted by @sonship
I wish Christians would stop talking about "going to heaven."

As to the question - [b]Eternal Life, is that all there is?
-

I'll think on it. But I would say "eternal life" is not only endless duration. I think it means limitless quality.[/b]
Who are you referring to?

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
24 Apr 18
1 edit

This what you wrote is church doctrine
The word 'know' in verse 3, means to know on the most intimate level as in a man knows his wife as one, it is in the deepest sense, it is a relationship. Trust, no pretense, no ulterior motive, no malice, it is pure.

This here is what the Bible says about how to know God
And hereby we do know that we know him, if we keep his commandments. He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him. But whoso keepeth his word, in him verily is the love of God perfected: hereby know we that we are in him. (1 John 2:3-5 KJV)

Can you spot the difference?
Your statement is nonsense.
The Bible statement is the truth
The only way to know God is to obey God.

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
24 Apr 18
1 edit

Do you use the 'going to heaven' statement?

l

Moves
24 Apr 18

Do you use the 'going to heaven' statement?
Did you read the OP, this thread is not about 'heaven', nor is it implied. It is about eternal life, do you have something you would like to contribute?

l

Moves
24 Apr 18

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
24 Apr 18

Ask a third time .. go ahead.

Better yet .. enjoy your false church doctrine.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
24 Apr 18

No specific poster was intended really.
I made a couple of general comments not intended to target a particular person.