1. Joined
    31 Aug '06
    Moves
    25 Nov '14 07:461 edit
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    This is where you are ignorant. Carbon dating is not a reliable method of dating anything.
    How do you think these dating methods were tested? Do you believe scientists just assumed the measurements would be accurate and then went out into the world and started dating things? To say they can't be used to date anything is clearly a false statement. They appear to have been useful in dating objects of known age.

Now where does that leave the YEC claim to fame, concerning the reliability of dating methods? That's right. You're full of shyte.
  2. Joined
    31 Aug '06
    Moves
    25 Nov '14 07:53
    The image on the Shroud of Turin is evidence of the resurrection because the scientist have not been able to explain it in any other way, because it is a miracle image.
    Lack of knowledge is not evidence.
  3. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    26 Nov '14 03:20
    Originally posted by C Hess
    Lack of knowledge is not evidence.
    But the miracle image is evidence. 😏
  4. Joined
    31 Aug '06
    Moves
    26 Nov '14 09:59
    But the miracle image is evidence. 😏
    It has an as of yet unknown cause. If you wish to call that a miracle, fine. If you want to consider miracles evidence, you need to accept any miracle claim as evidence, even claims that stands counter to your beliefs.

Is it true that even the pope refuses to make a statement as to its authenticity?
  5. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    27 Nov '14 04:324 edits
    Originally posted by C Hess
    It has an as of yet unknown cause. If you wish to call that a miracle, fine. If you want to consider miracles evidence, you need to accept any miracle claim as evidence, even claims that stands counter to your beliefs.

Is it true that even the pope refuses to make a statement as to its authenticity?
    The scientists that studied it have already said it is authentic and not a fake.

It is also supernatural.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/scientists-say-turin-shroud-is-supernatural-6279512.html#

YouTube
  6. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    28 Nov '14 16:53
    The scientists that studied it have already said it is authentic and not a fake.

It is also supernatural.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/scientists-say-turin-shroud-is-supernatural-6279512.html#

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVVNh-mhsKY
    Funny how you believe those scientists that corroborate your fantasies but totally reject those that refute your fantasies.
  7. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    29 Nov '14 19:48
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Funny how you believe those scientists that corroborate your fantasies but totally reject those that refute your fantasies.
    Yes, that is funny how we believe that. So why don't you be serious and ask yourself would a person with common sense think it is more logical that a 20 million dollar mansion that can withstand hurricanes was designed and built by evolution or was designed and built by intelligent beings? 😏
  8. Cape Town
    Moves
    29 Nov '14 19:52
    Yes, that is funny how we believe that. So why don't you be serious and ask yourself would a person with common sense think it is more logical that a 20 million dollar mansion that can withstand hurricanes was designed and built by evolution or was designed and built by intelligent beings? 😏
    You may not know this, but there are hurricane proof caves that were built by nature. I bet you can even find one worth 20 million dollars if you look hard enough.
  9. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    29 Nov '14 20:05
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    You may not know this, but there are hurricane proof caves that were built by nature. I bet you can even find one worth 20 million dollars if you look hard enough.
    You are comparing a cave to a mansion?
  10. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    29 Nov '14 20:18
    Mansion houses, no matter what they cost, are not alive and cannot reproduce. This means that they are not subject to natural selection, a designer is both necessary and accords with our understanding of the world. I'm sure there are trees along the Hurricane belt which can withstand hurricanes. In that case there is no evidence for a designer and no a priori requirement for one as they do reproduce and are subject to natural selection.

I accept that your understanding of the world is different from mine. But you seem to insist that intelligent design is a scientific theory. It is not. If you simply accept that what you believe is not scientifically grounded I have no argument with you, at least within the spirituality forum.

Science takes empirical data for it's claims to truth. The theory that is "true" is the one that best fits the empirical data, but that could be accidental there could be an unknown theory that is quite different that fits the empirical data better - in the way quantum theory replaced classical mechanics. Incompatibilist versions of creationism do not fit the empirical evidence at all and are not scientific.

You take the bible for your claims to truth. This relies on the interpretation of the Bible that you choose to be correct. You may want to think about your literalist interpretation.
  11. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    29 Nov '14 20:382 edits
    Originally posted by DeepThought
    Mansion houses, no matter what they cost, are not alive and cannot reproduce. This means that they are not subject to natural selection, a designer is both necessary and accords with our understanding of the world. I'm sure there are trees along the Hurricane belt which can withstand hurricanes. In that case there is no evidence for a designer and no ...[text shortened]... ible that you choose to be correct. You may want to think about your literalist interpretation.
    My main point was not that the mansion could withstand a hurricane. I just added that as a quality that requires extra intelligent design than a normal house. We normally don't need to see a mansion to know that any house requires a designer and builder. That was my main point.

Even famous evolutionists have said biological things appear designed. So to extend my point to biological things that appear designed it is curious that the word "evolution" has such a magical power to those that believe in it.

Creation fits the empirical data better to me.
  12. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    30 Nov '14 22:52
    My main point was not that the mansion could withstand a hurricane. I just added that as a quality that requires extra intelligent design than a normal house. We normally don't need to see a mansion to know that any house requires a designer and builder. That was my main point.

Even famous evolutionists have said biological things appear designed. So t ...[text shortened]... h a magical power to those that believe in it.

Creation fits the empirical data better to me.
    What 'data'? You refuse to even study the subject so how can you know ANY evolutionary data?
  13. Cape Town
    Moves
    01 Dec '14 05:56
    You are comparing a cave to a mansion?
    You did not define 'mansion' other than to say it was hurricane proof and worth 20 million dollars. Do you have any other criteria that we can use to know whether or not the structure under investigation is a mansion?
  14. Cape Town
    Moves
    01 Dec '14 05:57
    We normally don't need to see a mansion to know that any house requires a designer and builder. That was my main point.
    And I have refuted your point. Some houses (caves for example) were not designed.
  15. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    01 Dec '14 11:50
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    And I have refuted your point. Some houses (caves for example) were not designed.
    Caves may be used as shelters, but they are not houses.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree