1. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    07 Apr '16 22:35
    I get that many religions condemn homosexual activity. Fine. But does that mean that its adherents are required to persecute non-adherents for such activity? If so, can someone explain to me the logic behind this?
  2. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    07 Apr '16 23:09
    Originally posted by sh76
    I get that many religions condemn homosexual activity. Fine. But does that mean that its adherents are required to persecute non-adherents for such activity? If so, can someone explain to me the logic behind this?
    Christians aren't 'required' to persecute anyone, and those who do, especially in the name of their faith, actually have very little faith, indeed.
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    08 Apr '16 01:08
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Christians aren't 'required' to persecute anyone, and those who do, especially in the name of their faith, actually have very little faith, indeed.
    If one's actions are closely linked to and consistent with one's beliefs, that'd be a sign of strong faith, I'd have thought.
  4. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    08 Apr '16 01:49
    Originally posted by FMF
    If one's actions are closely linked to and consistent with one's beliefs, that'd be a sign of strong faith, I'd have thought.
    That's my point. Persecution of others, in the name of religion, is not consistent with the tenets of Christianity.
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    08 Apr '16 01:53
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    That's my point. Persecution of others, in the name of religion, is not consistent with the tenets of Christianity.
    But if there are Christians who feel it is consistent with the tenets of Christianity, as countless many have over the centuries, and they implement it, then it does not mean they necessarily have very little faith.
  6. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    08 Apr '16 02:52
    If I could be so bold as to widen (or add to) the parameter of your question, maybe? How about this: "But does that mean that its adherents are required to discriminate - and actively support discrimination - against non-adherents for such activity?"
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    08 Apr '16 03:07
    Originally posted by FMF
    If I could be so bold as to widen (or add to) the parameter of your question, maybe? How about this: "But does that mean that its adherents are required to discriminate - and actively support discrimination - against non-adherents for such activity?"
    Oh, I see that, while your OP uses the word persecute, your thread title uses the word discriminate. As you were. 😉
  8. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    08 Apr '16 08:041 edit
    What is your definition of "persecution"?

Is persecution merely identifying such behavior as an abomination?
  9. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    08 Apr '16 08:09
    Originally posted by FMF
    But if there are Christians who feel it is consistent with the tenets of Christianity, as countless many have over the centuries, and they implement it, then it does not mean they necessarily have very little faith.
    How are we to distinguish actions based upon faith or otherwise?

The Bible says that the heart is desperately wicked, so who can know it?

Christians also used to persecute Jews for rejecting their Messiah. Today they don't. Also, many Christians today embrace such things as abortion and the notion of gay marriage as where in times past they did not.

So what is to account for the seemingly polar opposite morality?
  10. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    08 Apr '16 08:14
    Originally posted by whodey
    Christians also used to persecute Jews for rejecting their Messiah. Today they don't.
    Do you think Christians were right to persecute the Jews?
  11. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    08 Apr '16 08:19
    Originally posted by FMF
    Do you think Christians were right to persecute the Jews?
    No,.
  12. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    08 Apr '16 08:20
    No,.
    Do you think it's right for Christians to support systematic discrimination against homosexuals?
  13. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    08 Apr '16 08:241 edit
    Originally posted by FMF
    Do you think it's right for Christians to support systematic discrimination against homosexuals?
    Again, what do you call "discrimination?

Is it merely saying that such behavior is an abomination?

Is it saying that you oppose state marriage to gays?

I personally don't understand why the state is interested in marriage at all. Why is a secular state interested in giving a thumbs up or down in regards to ones sexual practices?

Very odd.
  14. Cape Town
    Moves
    08 Apr '16 08:321 edit
    Christians also used to persecute Jews for rejecting their Messiah. Today they don't.
    That is an over generalization. Some Christians in the past did not persecute Jews and some Christians to this day persecute Jews.
    What has mostly changed is secular law which prevents Christians from persecuting Jews.
  15. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    08 Apr '16 08:39
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    That is an over generalization. Some Christians in the past did not persecute Jews and some Christians to this day persecute Jews.
    What has mostly changed is secular law which prevents Christians from persecuting Jews.
    That is correct.

It appears that most succumb to the morality of the culture/state.

Case in point is slavery in the US. At one time it was deemed to be OK by many "Christians" when it was legal. However, centuries later being made illegal, the morality of slavery seems repugnant.

Abortion is the same way. Before being made illegal to many abortion seemed immoral. However, decades later after being made legal, it is now seen by many to be OK, to the point that many "Christians" vote for abortion proponents and even have abortions themselves.

What can I say, the Bible is right, we are sheep so be careful who you make your shepherd.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree