do you believe in this?

do you believe in this?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

g

Moves
14 Dec 06

the thing about Christianity and the Bible is that the bible was written over about 3500 years, and it's the most widely read book in the world. Now tell me how a book that was finished almost 2000 years ago is the widely read book in the world and some people haven't even read it. Now tell me that's pretty amazing

a

Moves
14 Dec 06

Originally posted by amannion
True, but these are elaborations on the initial stories.
Let's say I've figured out an explanation for how the Sun god - let's call him MANNAS - rises and sets every day.
Now I could just tell everyone my explanation - sort of like a scientist talking about his latest theory. Or, I could wrap the whole thing up in a story - make it interesting, funny, sad ...[text shortened]... way people have to act, now I have some real power. (I might even pull a nice girl or two.)
I cann't claim that I know all the people who build every religion, but most of those I know were poor, usually lived a hard life, and most of their followers were poor too, and power less.

Another important point is although the variaty of religions there are many religions span a long period of time that share the same concepts and agree on many aspects which makes it hard to think that people of thousands of years agreed on such a thing.

a
Andrew Mannion

Melbourne, Australia

Moves
14 Dec 06

Originally posted by grandslam842
the thing about Christianity and the Bible is that the bible was written over about 3500 years, and it's the most widely read book in the world. Now tell me how a book that was finished almost 2000 years ago is the widely read book in the world and some people haven't even read it. Now tell me that's pretty amazing
I'm not sure what your point is.
Are you resting your belief in god and stuff on the popularity of a book? Is that it?

a
Andrew Mannion

Melbourne, Australia

Moves
14 Dec 06

Originally posted by ahosyney
I cann't claim that I know all the people who build every religion, but most of those I know were poor, usually lived a hard life, and most of their followers were poor too, and power less.

Another important point is although the variaty of religions there are many religions span a long period of time that share the same concepts and agree on many aspects which makes it hard to think that people of thousands of years agreed on such a thing.
Yes, all the world's religions share lots of things, which might be taken as proof of their correctness (although which one is more correct?)
But it could just as easily be the fact that there are some things which we as humans recognise to be valid moral and ethical positions.
Almost everyone would accept that it is wrong to murder other people. This crops up in various commandments and moral statements in various religious texts. Does this mean it's evidence of some central existence of god who tells us to be this way? Or, could it be that it's just a natural part of our world that suggests to us that it's wrong to murder.

As for the poverty of the religious prophets, that may be true, and what better way to get ahead in life than to become famous as a prophet?

a

Moves
14 Dec 06

Originally posted by amannion
Yes, all the world's religions share lots of things, which might be taken as proof of their correctness (although which one is more correct?)
But it could just as easily be the fact that there are some things which we as humans recognise to be valid moral and ethical positions.
Almost everyone would accept that it is wrong to murder other people. This cro ...[text shortened]... at may be true, and what better way to get ahead in life than to become famous as a prophet?
although which one is more correct?

It is a simple/hard question. Simple because I think you already know what I'm going to say. Hard to make you belive that I'm right.

Almost everyone would accept that it is wrong to murder other people. This crops up in various commandments and moral statements in various religious texts. Does this mean it's evidence of some central existence of god who tells us to be this way? Or, could it be that it's just a natural part of our world that suggests to us that it's wrong to murder.

As you can see people live today don't agree on a common definition of moral aspects. What is considered moral in your country, cann't be accepted in mine. I can give you different examples. And also there are different commandments in these religions their followers didn't know exactly the reason they follow it.

For the murder case, yes it could be easly known. But this cann't be applied for adultry for example.

As for the poverty of the religious prophets, that may be true, and what better way to get ahead in life than to become famous as a prophet?

What is the value of being famous and die poor, live a hard life? Most of them became famous after their death?

Any way that prove nothing, so don't think about it.

K
Chess Samurai

Yes

Moves
14 Dec 06

Since the dawn of man, the human race has strived for understanding of that which is around us. It is evident in every culture that has existed. It is evident in the fact that we have culturally, industriously and mechanically evolved.

If God is truly the beginning and the end. If He is truly the Yin and Yang. If he created all things and is present to all beings, why was he not even mentioned in texts before the Bible? Why were their beliefs in Zeus and Thor and Ra and Quetzalcoatl? Why ARE their beliefs in Vishnu and Gaia and even the Gods in Animism?
God puts forth not to put any other God before Him, within His own Commandments. Yes, yes...to test us...but what kind of test is it if you dont even know who God (or Allah, or YHWH) is, let alone the existance of His teachings?

a

Moves
14 Dec 06
1 edit

Originally posted by KnightWulfe
Since the dawn of man, the human race has strived for understanding of that which is around us. It is evident in every culture that has existed. It is evident in the fact that we have culturally, industriously and mechanically evolved.

If God is truly the beginning and the end. If He is truly the Yin and Yang. If he created all things and is present t ...[text shortened]... if you dont even know who God (or Allah, or YHWH) is, let alone the existance of His teachings?
I don't know what do you mean by text before the Bible, no body knows exactly when the Bible is written.

But any way I will tell about the old egyptians, Pheros, who ruled in Egypt for thousands of years , they have a long civilization, they used to belive in multi-GODs, but they also belived in after life, heaven and hell, and they belive in Judgment day. They have a law too. And in some period of time, they unified the GODs into one , which was belived to be the period when a prophet was sent to them, (Actually there was one big GOD , and other helpers or something).

But they belived that GOD (GODs) are creators, and they belived they should worship GODs.

Yes, yes...to test us...but what kind of test is it if you dont even know who God (or Allah, or YHWH) is, let alone the existance of His teachings?

I don't know what test are you talking about, but in general it is human choice not to know GOD, just as most atheist do.

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
14 Dec 06

that God made this world and that Jesus came to die for our sins and when we die if we are born again we will go to Heaven and if we didn't then we would go to Hell.

Please comment
No.

Cape Town

Moves
14 Dec 06

Originally posted by ahosyney
I don't know what test are you talking about, but in general it is human choice not to know GOD, just as most atheist do.
Do you know the spaghetti monster? Do you think you made that choice?

CC

Moves
14 Dec 06

that God made this world and that Jesus came to die for our sins and when we die if we are born again we will go to Heaven and if we didn't then we would go to Hell.

Please comment
Of course. Mankind ate from the tree and therefore has the knowledge of good and evil.
There are only two fathers. You belong to one of them, like it or not. The mere fact that you might reject Satan does not qualify you as being in right standing with God. If you have not accepted Christ His Son you are automatically slotted in as His enemy, thus belonging to Satan. In other words.............you're a devil worshipper. It's entirely your choice.
We are all born with an inkling toward our creator, a yearning for God. Some of us take it further and try to find Him. Others ignore that God given instinct, killing it in the process.
We are all given the opportunity to come nearer to the Creator. No man will stand before the Father of Christ Jesus with an excuse in hand. It is either "yes" I will seek God (seek and ye shall find) or "no" I have no need of Him. You have been give the free will to decide.

X
Cancerous Bus Crash

p^2.sin(phi)

Moves
14 Dec 06

There isn't a 🙄 big enough.

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
14 Dec 06

Originally posted by XanthosNZ
There isn't a 🙄 big enough.
Orbital - Satan

Moves
15 Dec 06
2 edits

Please comment
PSALMS 104
JOHN 3:3
ACTS 4:24
1 CORINTHIANS 1:5
ROMANS 3:23
MATHEW 1:21

w

Moves
15 Dec 06
1 edit

Please comment
This is what we know about the Biblical God.

1. He sent his Son to die for all of humanity.
2. He only responds to faith.
3. He is a God of love.
4. He is a just judge who judges the hearts of men.

Therefore, speculating as to who makes it and who does not is fruitless. Who can know the heart of man as well as how God will react to that heart?

b

Millbury OHIO

Moves
15 Dec 06

Do you ever feel like, Good and Evil are fighting over your soul ? Day by day your being tested... ITs like Im being judged. Im not crazy am I?