Dinosaurs and Dragons

Dinosaurs and Dragons

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can't win a game of

38N Lat X 121W Lon

Moves
07 Jun 12

Originally posted by FMF
The Komodo Dragon is not a "dragon". A "dragon" is a mythical creature found in folk stories. "Komodo Dragon" is the English name of a type of monitor lizard called Buaya Darat here in Indonesia where they are found. When I lived in Papua I once came across a similar monitor lizard in my back yard, right outside my kitchen door. It was about 1.5 metres long, very real, and most certainly not a 'mythical' creature!
Know I understand that 🙂 man that's crazy 1.5 meters is over 3ft correct ?

Manny

Can't win a game of

38N Lat X 121W Lon

Moves
07 Jun 12

Originally posted by twhitehead
You may not be saying there were but you are strongly implying it.
I must also point out that a Chinese dragon really has nothing to do with a European dragon. They are not the same thing at all.

I wonder why the phoenix does not feature in the Chinese Zodiac. It features quite prominently in the culture.
Be interesting to get the traditional Chinese take on their Zodiac and why it seems they all are real except the dragon? Or is it just a Western mis-interpretation of it?

Manny

F

Moves
07 Jun 12

Originally posted by menace71
Know I understand that 🙂 man that's crazy 1.5 meters is over 3ft correct ?

Manny
I went out to get some water from the well and there it was, all FOUR AND A BIT FEET of it! I think I just stood motionless for about ten minutes (much the same as the "dragon" was doing) before slipping back into the kitchen!

Can't win a game of

38N Lat X 121W Lon

Moves
07 Jun 12

Actually the "Dragon" depicted in the Chinese Zodiac looks more like a rather large serpent. I guess if there were dragons and they were serpents then they would be a type of reptile which would mean they were indirectly related to dinosaurs LOL but I'm not sure if I would make the connection that Dragon=Dinosaurs

Manny

Can't win a game of

38N Lat X 121W Lon

Moves
07 Jun 12

Originally posted by FMF
I went out to get some water from the well and there it was, all FOUR AND A BIT FEET of it! I think I just stood motionless for about ten minutes (much the same as the "dragon" was doing) before slipping back into the kitchen!
Wow too bad you did not get pics of it. I would stay far away from the Komodos no doubt if ever I saw one. 4' + that's big. We get small lizards here in N. California maybe 2" to 3" but we get rattle snakes 🙂

Manny

Can't win a game of

38N Lat X 121W Lon

Moves
07 Jun 12

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragon_(zodiac)

Manny

PS: I know it's wiki but they say it's fairy tale

Cape Town

Moves
07 Jun 12
1 edit

Be interesting to get the traditional Chinese take on their Zodiac and why it seems they all are real except the dragon? Or is it just a Western mis-interpretation of it?

Manny
Why is only one of the western Zodiac a mythical creature (Centaur)? Do you think they might be real too?

As far as I know the main mythical creatures in Chinese culture are the Dragon and the Phoenix. There are also a few humanoid ones like vampires, ghosts, and in Korea there is a nine-tailed fox. But I suspect that the Zodiac is for animals only, so they were left with the dragon an the phoenix.

Ancient Greek culture on the other hand had hundreds of mythical creatures.

Can't win a game of

38N Lat X 121W Lon

Moves
07 Jun 12
1 edit

Dragons are another study altogether. Every culture in the world has dragon fables and dragon slayers. In Chinese folklore the dragon was a wise creature and always revered. The dragon, incidentally, is the only "mythical" creature in the Chinese zodiac. Were dragons perhaps based on another type of large extinct reptile, the dinosaur? If you cobble together a pterodactyl, a tyrannosaurus, a crocodile and a stegosaurus, you have a fairly decent dragon.

Recent findings about certain breeds of feathered dinosaurs, or reptile-like birds, make stories of the Aztec god Quetzalcoatl (the feathered serpent) much more interesting. Did the Aztecs once know of a reptile-like creature with feathers and revere it?

Other creatures, like the griffin and the manticore, are creatures made of parts of other animals. Perhaps they were based on descriptions of strange creatures from travelers? There are many extinct birds and animals that may have been known by ancient man, and their memories come down to us, distorted as they are, in myths and fantasy.

This is what I believe the dragon of the Chinese Zodiac is it is possibly a left over creature that has become extinct possibly?

not my intellectual property pasted this LOL

Manny

Cape Town

Moves
07 Jun 12

Every culture in the world has dragon fables and dragon slayers.
You would have to stretch the meaning of 'dragon' and 'culture' well beyond breaking point to make that even remotely true.

F

Moves
07 Jun 12

Wow too bad you did not get pics of it. I would stay far away from the Komodos no doubt if ever I saw one. 4' + that's big. We get small lizards here in N. California maybe 2" to 3" but we get rattle snakes 🙂

Manny
I live in a city nowadays and we have 'cecak' [maybe 8 cm long at most] all over the house, busily eating mosquitoes. There are also rather more unsettling [and less self-effacing] 'tokek' which are nearer a foot long and often have black and white stripes.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
07 Jun 12

You would have to stretch the meaning of 'dragon' and 'culture' well beyond breaking point to make that even remotely true.
Unbelievers do anything that rationalizes to them why they should not believe in God as creator. One person finds a spelling error or typing error to discredit a work as being scholarly. Others say it is not published in the right peer review magazines (the peers being the unbelievers). One says they did not receive a nobel prize or whatever. Any excuse not to consider all of the information. It goes on and on. Prejudice and hypocracy at work by evolutionists.

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
07 Jun 12

Why is only one of the western Zodiac a mythical creature (Centaur)? .
Dont forget Virgo.

In parts of Essex they are mythical creatures too!

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
08 Jun 12

Originally posted by wolfgang59
Dont forget Virgo.

In parts of Essex they are mythical creatures too!
A typical tactic of atheists and evolutions, when they can refute a creationists, is to change the subject to some other topic. It works best when it is humorous.

R
Acts 13:48

California

Moves
08 Jun 12

Originally posted by FMF
Do you also think dinosaurs existed less than 10,000 years ago?
Why not. Who cares.

F

Moves
08 Jun 12

Originally posted by RBHILL
Why not. Who cares.
Well, RJHinds seems to care a great deal. Although he would deny it, it seems that holding palpably untrue beliefs underpins [for some reason] his broader spiritual beliefs, while setting him [and likeminded people] apart from those he perceives as 'enemies' ["satan" inspired etc.], and it also seems to be an integral part of his efforts to draw attention to himself here.