1. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    24 Apr '24 18:43
    @pettytalk said

I doubt it, but do you have any personal knowledge on the subject of this thread, which you would care to publicly share?
    You are correct; I have no knowledge on wether or not Jesus spoke Greek, and frankly I couldn’t care less either way. Perhaps if you explained why it is either important or even interesting then perhaps you might pique my interest.
  2. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    24 Apr '24 20:46
    @divegeester said
    You are correct; I have no knowledge.
    You are a public nuisance geester! 🤣
  3. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    25 Apr '24 04:43
    @josephw said
    You are a public nuisance geester! 🤣
    I’m aware that I grind your gears SecondSon.
  4. Subscribermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    25 Apr '24 05:411 edit
    @pettytalk said
    Anyone reading the Bible will recall that Jesus specifically attributed the possibility of everything to God, using a colorful simile that involved camels and the eye of a needle to illustrate the improbability of the rich entering the Kingdom.

Scholars confirm that Greek was widely used in the region and beyond. It was the language of the learned, alongside Latin. There ...[text shortened]... we are focusing on Jesus, the man, and must set aside the 'speaking in tongues' for this discussion.
    But where in Scripture does it suggest that Jesus received a better education? And does Scripture also mention, directly or indirectly, anything related to Jesus' education in linguistics?

Please consider Luke 46-48: 46 After three days they found him in the temple courts, sitting among the teachers, listening to them and asking them questions. 47 Everyone who heard him was amazed at his understanding and his answers. 48 When his parents saw him, they were astonished.

While this does not directly answer your questions, it may be reasonable to think that spending time with so many educated people may have allowed Jesus to learn at least some of the Greek language and can definitely be of help in educating Jesus to a few levels above that of an ordinary carpenter.
  5. Joined
    14 Jan '19
    Moves
    25 Apr '24 11:50
    @divegeester said
    You are correct; I have no knowledge on wether or not Jesus spoke Greek, and frankly I couldn’t care less either way. Perhaps if you explained why it is either important or even interesting then perhaps you might pique my interest.
    As previously stated, you were not summoned. The call was for scholars, if there are any here with knowledge on the question. Since you have already stated that you are not a scholar, nor have any non-scholar knowledge of the subject, frankly, you have nothing to offer.

Now, considering that you don't care whether Jesus spoke Greek or not, I see no reason for you to participate any further in this thread. But feel free to look around. Who knows? Someone else here might pique your interest.

As far as I'm concerned, I suggest you go back to school and take a beginner's course in waffle language, because I have no interest in explaining why it would be interesting.

Since you claim to be a Christian, I would have thought that it would be clear why it is of special interest to Christians and its importance in the New Testament. You have a lazy streak when it comes to being perceptive and understanding, because you're always asking others to explain the obvious to you, which you don't seem to grasp most of the time.
  6. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    25 Apr '24 12:27
    @divegeester said
    I’m aware that I grind your gears SecondSon.
    That's your illusion. I am not phased.
  7. Joined
    14 Jan '19
    Moves
    25 Apr '24 12:41
    @mchill said
    But where in Scripture does it suggest that Jesus received a better education? And does Scripture also mention, directly or indirectly, anything related to Jesus' education in linguistics?

Please consider Luke 46-48: 46 After three days they found him in the temple courts, sitting among the teachers, listening to them and asking them questions. 47 Everyone who heard h ...[text shortened]... nd can definitely be of help in educating Jesus to a few levels above that of an ordinary carpenter.
    Just to be clear, I tend to favor the idea that Jesus, the man, was well versed with the Greek language.

However, what you have pointed out from scripture hardly does any justice to the suggestion of Jesus having received a better education, and it was the reason for being able to speak Greek. Why would Joseph and Mary be astonished? Were they not aware of their son's better education?

For Jesus and other children of Nazareth, was there a structured educational setting, such as we have today?

A look at the following link gives a quick overall picture on educating the Jewish youths of those times.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_education_in_ancient_Israel_and_Judah
  8. Subscribermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    25 Apr '24 13:31
    @pettytalk said
    Just to be clear, I tend to favor the idea that Jesus, the man, was well versed with the Greek language.

However, what you have pointed out from scripture hardly does any justice to the suggestion of Jesus having received a better education, and it was the reason for being able to speak Greek. Why would Joseph and Mary be astonished? Were they not aware of their son's b ...[text shortened]... s of those times.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_education_in_ancient_Israel_and_Judah
    However, what you have pointed out from scripture hardly does any justice to the suggestion of Jesus having received a better education, and it was the reason for being able to speak Greek.

Please go back and read my little disclaimer. I said this does not directly answer your questions. In fact, I can find little data to suggest what linguistic skills Jesus had.
  9. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    25 Apr '24 16:04
    @josephw said
    That's your illusion. I am not phased.
    You’re posting history of exchanges with myself would indicate otherwise.
  10. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    25 Apr '24 16:05
    @pettytalk said
    As previously stated, you were not summoned. The call was for scholars, if there are any here with knowledge on the question. Since you have already stated that you are not a scholar, nor have any non-scholar knowledge of the subject, frankly, you have nothing to offer.

Now, considering that you don't care whether Jesus spoke Greek or not, I see no reason for you to par ...[text shortened]... always asking others to explain the obvious to you, which you don't seem to grasp most of the time.
    Do shut up PettyTalk; you go on like an old woman.
  11. Joined
    14 Jan '19
    Moves
    25 Apr '24 18:46
    @divegeester said
    Do shut up PettyTalk; you go on like an old woman.
    By insulting old women, you must be an ardent misogynist.

Obviously not something your old mother would have said to you; feeling guilty, she had to fool herself for not having brought into the world a decent human being.

You are something only a mother would be willing to cope with.
  12. Joined
    14 Jan '19
    Moves
    25 Apr '24 18:47
    @divegeester said
    You’re posting history of exchanges with myself would indicate otherwise.
    Playing tough guy again?
  13. Joined
    14 Jan '19
    Moves
    25 Apr '24 19:30
    @mchill said
    However, what you have pointed out from scripture hardly does any justice to the suggestion of Jesus having received a better education, and it was the reason for being able to speak Greek.

Please go back and read my little disclaimer. I said this does not directly answer your questions. In fact, I can find little data to suggest what linguistic skills Jesus had.
    I don't mean to come across as haranguing to you, but we were actually addressing your initial reply and your follow-up. In quoting Luke 2:46-48, which is a single incident covering a period of three days, it could hardly serve as justification for higher education.

No doubt, if we can assert that it actually happened, it goes to show that the very young Jesus was well versed in Hebrew, the language of the Old Testament. At the temple courts, discussions were mostly of a religious nature. This would also indicate the young Jesus' knowledge of Judaism. The teachers there were very likely scribes and Pharisees, which Jesus would have questioned. It's reflective of the discussions he had with the same class of teachers of the law during the adult years of his three-year ministry. The number three is a recurring theme in the New Testament.

Anyway, I was not questioning the possibility you were proposing, as being an indirect reason for assuming Jesus' possible ability to speak Greek. Every bit contributes to the overall picture. And with enough possibilities, we may actually arrive at conclusions that are not only possible but probable.
  14. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    25 Apr '24 21:34
    @pettytalk said
    By insulting old women, you must be an ardent misogynist.

Obviously not something your old mother would have said to you; feeling guilty, she had to fool herself for not having brought into the world a decent human being.

You are something only a mother would be willing to cope with.
    You’re going on like an old woman again PertyTalk.
  15. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    25 Apr '24 21:34
    @pettytalk said
    Playing tough guy again?
    How so?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree