Define religion

Define religion

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
23 Sep 09

Originally posted by Palynka
Not JUST rejecting supernatural forces. I mean believing in destiny and rejecting other supernatural forces.
Like I said, for me 'destiny' is merely 'where you end up', not some mystical force. You do agree that your moral choices (among other things) influence the way your life turns out, don't you?

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
23 Sep 09

Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
Like I said, for me 'destiny' is merely 'where you end up', not some mystical force. You do agree that your moral choices (among other things) influence the way your life turns out, don't you?
Yes, but Karma is much more than that.

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
23 Sep 09

Exactly! It's meaningless if you define it order/chaos as the goodGod against the badGod...
I could say the forces of Order and the forces of Chaos, if you prefer. As long as there's an attractive woman on the cover.

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
23 Sep 09

I could say the forces of Order and the forces of Chaos, if you prefer. As long as there's an attractive woman on the cover.
Forces of Chaos. 😵

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
23 Sep 09

Yes, but Karma is much more than that.
Are you offering to explain what karma is ... ?

Anyhow, I think that when discussing paradigms clearly different from one's own, one must generously attempt to place oneself within the paradigm, in this case, a paradigm that (at the risk of paradigmatic personification) has no supernatural beliefs, given that its concept of the natural includes the workings of karma, 'rebirth', etc.

The super/natural dichotomy is clear in Western thinking: God made nature; Man is in nature; God is outside nature. No such dichotomy in Buddhism. Voila.

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
23 Sep 09
2 edits

Forces of Chaos. 😵
Fine -- the Unnameable (shudder).

Stop grinning like that.

Edit: The Forces of Chaos are merely our quivering minds' hapless interpretations of the Unnameable as it chaossifies us all ...

Black Beastie

Scheveningen

Moves
23 Sep 09

The circle (circus?) is complete.
What circus?!

When I say that "religion is a plexus of symbols, rites, temples, religious personages (priests) and worshipping of supernatural existences", am I obliged to offer also a definition of the "plexus", of the "symbols", of the "rites", of the "temples", of the "priests", of the verb "worship" and of the "supernatural existencies"?
😵

Black Beastie

Scheveningen

Moves
23 Sep 09

Fine -- the Unnameable (shudder).

Stop grinning like that.
Grinning my way is OK😵

Black Beastie

Scheveningen

Moves
23 Sep 09

Anyhow, I think that when discussing paradigms clearly different from one's own, one must generously attempt to place oneself within the paradigm, in this case, a paradigm that (at the risk of paradigmatic personification) has no supernatural beliefs, given that its concept of the natural inclu ...[text shortened]... d made nature; Man is in nature; God is outside nature. No such dichotomy in Buddhism. Voila.
Cute;

Good Luck😵

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
23 Sep 09

Anyhow, I think that when discussing paradigms clearly different from one's own, one must generously attempt to place oneself within the paradigm, in this case, a paradigm that (at the risk of paradigmatic personification) has no supernatural beliefs, given that its concept of the natural inclu ...[text shortened]... d made nature; Man is in nature; God is outside nature. No such dichotomy in Buddhism. Voila.
Come on. Surely you understand that Karma contains an element of retribution/reward that is absent from your sentence above?

I'm a Western Yogi as I think our friend black beetle once called me. Teach me differently, but don't ask me to simply accept.

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
23 Sep 09

Originally posted by black beetle
What circus?!

When I say that "religion is a plexus of symbols, rites, temples, religious personages (priests) and worshipping of supernatural existences", am I obliged to offer also a definition of the "plexus", of the "symbols", of the "rites", of the "temples", of the "priests", of the verb "worship" and of the "supernatural existencies"?
😵
If I ask you and explain why I think it's a problem, then yes. That's what this discussion is about and what Bosse has been discussing with me all along, from "chaos" to "set of beliefs".

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
23 Sep 09

Come on. Surely you understand that Karma contains an element of retribution/reward that is absent from your sentence above?

I'm a Western Yogi as I think our friend black beetle once called me. Teach me differently, but don't ask me to simply accept.
No, not at all. It's easy to read into it (especially from a Western perspective) but it's just as easy to read out of it (especially from an Eastern perspective (I saw an Eastern perspective in a magazine once (the view was amazing))).

I have no intention of teaching you about karma, man. I'm no kind of yogi. I knew bringing Buddhism into it would be a mistake! Fact is, our definitions on this point diverge too much for any fruitful discussion; we literally see things differently, and I can't lend you my eyes.

Black Beastie

Scheveningen

Moves
23 Sep 09

If I ask you and explain why I think it's a problem, then yes. That's what this discussion is about and what Bosse has been discussing with me all along, from "chaos" to "set of beliefs".
It is not a problem because we both know that we know well the definition of the word "priest" -but I have no problem to offer it right now: a priest is a person authorized to perform the sacred rites of a religion especially as a mediatory agent between humans and God.
So, why do you think that my definition of religion is circular?
😵

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
23 Sep 09
1 edit

Originally posted by black beetle
It is not a problem because we both know that we know well the definition of the word "priest" -but I have no problem to offer it right now: a priest is a person authorized to perform the sacred rites of a religion especially as a mediatory agent between humans and the State.
I changed one word. What would you change 'priest' to accordingly?

I just remembered that the political goal of Islam was (ideally) to establish a holy land, more or less -- why shouldn't a State consider itself sacred?

Black Beastie

Scheveningen

Moves
23 Sep 09

I changed one word. What would you change 'priest' to accordingly?
😀😀😀

I pass, my obnoxious brother! I will leave this task to our friend Palynka😵