Define God.

Define God.

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

o
Paralysed analyst

On a ship of fools

Moves
28 Apr 06

Originally posted by howardgee
That he is personal to you, is not a property of him.
For the sake of whatever it is you consider vaguely 'holy', go and read what I actually said, you moron. I didn't use personal that way.

C

On the computer

Moves
28 Apr 06
2 edits

"The theist is hardpressed to present even one positive attribute or characteristic of God because "...he doesn't exist?
I am reminded of the book Flatland. (I don't know if any of you have read it.)
In it, a lowly two-dimensional triangle assaults a sphere that tries to come on to his plane. This attack on the sphere is because the two-dimensional triangle cannnot comprehend the existance of a being with attributes he can't describe. (Namely the ability to exist in multiple 3-dimension points on the same 2-dimension point)
I thought this story might present a challenge to pragmatic atheists who say that if something is real, we can always describe it. We are fettered by are inability to understand everything about the universe,

P.S. Don't get me wrong, I am not saying that god is a 4-dimensional being. I am saying that it is possible for something to exist that is almost impossible to describe.

h

Cosmos

Moves
28 Apr 06

Originally posted by Codfish
In it, a lowly two-dimensional triangle assaults a sphere that tries to come on to his plane. This attack on the sphere is because the two-dimensional triangle cannnot comprehend the existance of a being with attributes he can't describe. (Namely the ability to exist in multiple ...[text shortened]... I am saying that it is possible for something to exist that is almost impossible to describe.
The triangle talking to a sphere sounds about as likely as God existing!

J

Moves
28 Apr 06

Could it be that unlike you, God does not exist?
Please define exist.

h

Cosmos

Moves
28 Apr 06

Originally posted by JadeMantis
Please define exist.
Please start your own thread...or answer this one.

J

Moves
28 Apr 06

Please start your own thread...or answer this one.
My only answer to your original surface question is that God is transcendant.

In the course of this thread you asked a question:
"Originally posted by howardgee
Could it be that unlike you, God does not exist?"

Which is apparently the whole point you are trying to make with this thread. Surely answering the question you yourself posted in this thread is relevant to this thread?

Guess not. I will start a thread with your question then.

C

On the computer

Moves
29 Apr 06

The triangle talking to a sphere sounds about as likely as God existing!
How about you try attacking my point instead of the medium in which it is delivered?

Ex. Me: The bible is 100% true
You: No it isn't

As opposed to:
Me: The bible is 100% true
You: You idiotic fanatic! I learned to put periods at the ends of my sentences when I was five years old!

x
Incroyant

tinyurl.com/ksdwu

Moves
29 Apr 06

In it, a lowly two-dimensional triangle assaults a sphere that tries to come on to his plane. This attack on the sphere is because the two-dimensional triangle cannnot comprehend the existance of a being with attributes he can't describe. (Namely the ability to exist in multiple ...[text shortened]... I am saying that it is possible for something to exist that is almost impossible to describe.
Very interesting Codfish...
I recced it, if for no other reason than the knee-jerk
non-response you drew from howardgee.

Oh, and howard you may be the threads creator, but
you don't own it.

C

On the computer

Moves
29 Apr 06
1 edit

By the way, I think that the concept of a God that we can't describe is strange.

It seems to me there are two explanations:

A. There is no God. (Might be plausible)
B. The concept of God did not originate with mankind. (My belief)🙂

If B is true, then something has implanted the idea of a god in our minds.

Tacoma, WA

Moves
01 May 06

The most profound definition of God that I've ever come across was one created by a true genius...Albert Einstein. He stated that God was the summation or total knowledge of all the laws of physics...or something to that effect.

I found the concept particularly interesting because what Einstein attempted to do was define God in scientific terms. He tried to come up with a scientific equation that would define God and he managed to do that albeit in a simple rudimentary way.

h

Cosmos

Moves
01 May 06

How about you try attacking my point instead of the medium in which it is delivered?

Ex. Me: The bible is 100% true
You: No it isn't

As opposed to:
Me: The bible is 100% true
You: You idiotic fanatic! I learned to put periods at the ends of my sentences when I was five years old!
"Ex. Me: The bible is 100% true" - is this the real you or the ex-you?

Seriously though, the 3D triangle shape in question DID actually appear to the sphere. It was sensed by the sphere, and another sphere near by would have perceived the triangle too.

God on the other hand has never been sensed by anything or anybody. Obviously I am dismissing the bible as unreliable evidence; you may as well believe that talking wolves and 3 talking bears exist as believe anything written in the book of lies.

C

On the computer

Moves
02 May 06

"Ex. Me: The bible is 100% true" - is this the real you or the ex-you?

Seriously though, the 3D triangle shape in question DID actually appear to the sphere. It was sensed by the sphere, and another sphere near by would have perceived the triangle too.

God on the other hand has never been sensed by anything or anybody. Obviously I am dismissing th ...[text shortened]... that talking wolves and 3 talking bears exist as believe anything written in the book of lies.
Are you dismissing the bible as a pack of lies because of some kind of evidence, or do you just disagree with what it says?

You might think that because certain parts are untrue because they disobey the laws of physics. Is that your objection?

Or is it that you despise all parts of all religous texts because you an atheist?

P.S. The bible is the most cited HISTORICAL text ever.

h

Cosmos

Moves
03 May 06

Are you dismissing the bible as a pack of lies because of some kind of evidence, or do you just disagree with what it says?

You might think that because certain parts are untrue because they disobey the laws of physics. Is that your objection?

Or is it that you despise all parts of all religous texts because you an atheist?

P.S. The bible is the most cited HISTORICAL text ever.
I answered your previous question, as you demanded, and all you do is change the focus and ask me another question.

I guess my reply shot your flatland objection down in flames and illustrated further the ridiculousness of believing in god, huh?

C

On the computer

Moves
03 May 06

I answered your previous question, as you demanded, and all you do is change the focus and ask me another question.

I guess my reply shot your flatland objection down in flames and illustrated further the ridiculousness of believing in god, huh?
Your assertion that no-one has ever experienced god is wrong.
We have experienced (the Christian) God. If you choose to ignore this point then it is very dificult to argue for his existence.

I am just saying that something can exist that we cannot describe very well.

God is a concept that seems to resist definition.

P.S. If you are right and my flatland objection to your claim is false, it still does not make believing in God seem ridiculous.

h

Cosmos

Moves
03 May 06

Your assertion that no-one has ever experienced god is wrong.
We have experienced (the Christian) God. If you choose to ignore this point then it is very dificult to argue for his existence.

I am just saying that something can exist that we cannot describe very well.

God is a concept that seems to resist definition.

P.S. If you are right and my f ...[text shortened]... tland objection to your claim is false, it still does not make believing in God seem ridiculous.
"We have experienced (the Christian) God."

Oh really?

Care to share your personal experience(s) with God here on redhotpawn?