Define God.

Define God.

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

h

Cosmos

Moves
24 Apr 06

Originally posted by shavixmir
God is 1m70, 85 kilograms, uses Jean Paul Gautier after-shave and is terrific in bed.
Easily the best answer yet.

Actually, I hear that God is woeful in bed. This is probably due to his ethereal nature.

o
Paralysed analyst

On a ship of fools

Moves
24 Apr 06

Originally posted by howardgee
Is it really?

What do you think Lightning is?
Do you think God controls it?
Lightning is an electrical discharge from the atmosphere to the ground.

I think God is perfectly capable of arranging water molecules, electrons et al to turn lightning either on or off if he is so minded. That doesn't mean I think every single bolt of lightning in the history of mankind held some kind of spiritual significance.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
24 Apr 06

Originally posted by orfeo

I think God is perfectly capable of arranging water molecules, electrons et al to turn lightning either on or off if he is so minded. That doesn't mean I think every single bolt of lightning in the history of mankind held some kind of spiritual significance.
Do you believe it is always from the atmosphere to the ground?
Kelly

o
Paralysed analyst

On a ship of fools

Moves
25 Apr 06

Originally posted by KellyJay
Do you believe it is always from the atmosphere to the ground?
Kelly
No, when you point it out. I was giving THE most basic definition I could think of off the top of my head.

h

Cosmos

Moves
25 Apr 06

So do you think that God CAN control lightning if he so chooses, but it will happen anyway even if he hasn't arranged the water molecules, etc.

Surely either God always controls lightning, i.e. causes it to happen, or he never controls it, i.e it is a natural phenomenon.

Which is it?

O
Digital Blasphemy

Omnipresent

Moves
25 Apr 06

That's all I ask.
If I believed in the Flying Spaghetti monster, then in order for you to dispute my claim, I would have to define what I thought it was.

Please be as specific as you can; try and avoid vagueness.

So come on all ye faithful - describe for me what it is you worship.
God is http://picard.ytmnd.com/

I look forward to your attempt to dispute this claim.

o
Paralysed analyst

On a ship of fools

Moves
25 Apr 06

Surely either God always controls lightning, i.e. causes it to happen, or he never controls it, i.e it is a natural phenomenon.
WHY? There's nothing sure about it!

God is personal, not an impersonal force. People make choices to act or not act in a myriad situations every day. The world doesn't stop just because you choose to sit back and watch it some of the time, but it's affected if you intervene in some way. If that's true of you, why can't it be true of God as well?

I completely fail to see where your 'surely' comes from, and I don't think you've thought it through at all - you're simply trying to come up with some sort of paradox to trap people with. Well, it's certainly not going to work if this is the best you can come up with.

This epitomises my problem with you. There are plenty of atheists and agnostics in this forum who are willing to have a debate and exchange ideas, but you're not one of them. Everything you say comes across to me as manipulative and disingenuous. You don't ask questions because you want answers, you ask them because you're trying to embarrass other people.

l

London

Moves
25 Apr 06

This epitomises my problem with you. There are plenty of atheists and agnostics in this forum who are willing to have a debate and exchange ideas, but you're not one of them. Everything you say comes across to me as manipulative and disingenuous. You don't ask questions because you want answers, you ask them because you're trying to embarrass other people.
Atheism's response to RBHill?

h

Cosmos

Moves
25 Apr 06

WHY? There's nothing sure about it!

God is personal, not an impersonal force. People make choices to act or not act in a myriad situations every day. The world doesn't stop just because you choose to sit back and watch it some of the time, but it's affected if you intervene in some way. If that's true of you, why can't it be true of God as well?

I co ...[text shortened]... se you want answers, you ask them because you're trying to embarrass other people.
I am just trying to comprehend your position.

Sometimes lightning is caused by God (When he can be bothered to "..make choices to act ..."😉.
Other times lightning happens without God causing it.

Is this what you believe?

o
Paralysed analyst

On a ship of fools

Moves
25 Apr 06

I am just trying to comprehend your position.

Sometimes lightning is caused by God (When he can be bothered to "..make choices to act ..."😉.
Other times lightning happens without God causing it.

Is this what you believe?
If we're talking about individual lightning bolts, yes.

h

Cosmos

Moves
26 Apr 06

If we're talking about individual lightning bolts, yes.
You have outlined a very peculiar belief system indeed.

Some Lightning bolts are created by God, and other lightning bolts are naturally occurring without God's input, because he cannot be bothered all of the time.

Not only have you failed to outline a single property of God, but also you have come up with a unique theory, held only by yourself.

You have done a very good job of embarrassing yourself without my help.

h

Cosmos

Moves
26 Apr 06

Originally posted by Omnislash
God is http://picard.ytmnd.com/

I look forward to your attempt to dispute this claim.
The song is about as moronic as your average prayer to God.

h

Cosmos

Moves
26 Apr 06
2 edits

Originally posted by lucifershammer
Atheism's response to RBHill?
No properties on offer from you then Stammer?

Hasn't the pope told you what to say on this topic yet?

O
Digital Blasphemy

Omnipresent

Moves
26 Apr 06
2 edits

The song is about as moronic as your average prayer to God.
Oh, you don't like my song do you?

Well then, perhaps this is more appropriate for your image of God.

http://anightatthehothberry.ytmnd.com/

h

Cosmos

Moves
26 Apr 06

Originally posted by Omnislash
Oh, you don't like my song do you?

Well then, perhaps this is more appropriate for your image of God.

http://anightatthehothberry.ytmnd.com/
That's more like it.