Death, n.

Death, n.

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Maryland

Moves
31 Mar 10

Death, n. For Christians a blessing- the gateway to heaven, the portal to paradise. It speaks volumes of the generosity of Christians that they so freely bestow this blessing on their enemies, yet routinely do all in their power, even in extreme old age, to deny this same blessing to themselves.

The Devil's Dictionaries Chaz Bufe

Illinois

Moves
31 Mar 10

Originally posted by 667joe
Death, n. For Christians a blessing- the gateway to heaven, the portal to paradise. It speaks volumes of the generosity of Christians that they so freely bestow this blessing on their enemies, yet routinely do all in their power, even in extreme old age, to deny this same blessing to themselves.

Lame.

g

kent

Moves
31 Mar 10

What you smoking?. Total nonsense.

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
31 Mar 10

Its only a narrow point of view.
However this could be a great topic. My brain is out to lunch at the moment though, but someone else could add something to this fascinating topic.

Moves
01 Apr 10

Bierce pulled no punches on anyone, including himself. It's no surprise that the targets of the truth of his words do not appreciate their utterance.

p

tinyurl.com/ywohm

Moves
01 Apr 10

Originally posted by Badwater
Bierce pulled no punches on anyone, including himself. It's no surprise that the targets of the truth of his words do not appreciate their utterance.
How often have people missed the mark and then claimed that the target was simply in denial of the hit?

If you believe in an afterlife, then death is the movement to that afterlife, but it also takes you away from everything in this life, including the chance to change, grow, learn, love, help others, etc. While suicidal people see this movement away from this existence as a good thing because it will end their earthly physical/mental agony, most people are quite willing to postpone their afterlife. After all, if it's going to last until eternity, what's the rush?

The other point is just plain stupid. People of all religions and people who shun all religions kill people. Whether they claim to be doing it in the name of their diety, or the voices in their heads, to end a worse horror, or just because they're ticked off, the end result is the same, and it has nothing to do with the victim's afterlife.

Bierce punched himself on the face with this one. Had he just wondered why people who believe in an afterlife hold such afterlife in high regard and then avoid it like the plague, he'd have an interesting conversation starter.

Cape Town

Moves
01 Apr 10

Originally posted by pawnhandler
If you believe in an afterlife, then death is the movement to that afterlife, but it also takes you away from everything in this life, including the chance to change, grow, learn, love, help others, etc.
Are you saying that life on earth is somehow better than in heaven?

Moves
01 Apr 10

Originally posted by pawnhandler
How often have people missed the mark and then claimed that the target was simply in denial of the hit?

If you believe in an afterlife, then death is the movement to that afterlife, but it also takes you away from everything in this life, including the chance to change, grow, learn, love, help others, etc. While suicidal people see this movement a ...[text shortened]... gh regard and then avoid it like the plague, he'd have an interesting conversation starter.
Rarely have I heard such a misunderstanding of simple English.

In the Spirituality forum, though, the occasions seems not so rare.

p

tinyurl.com/ywohm

Moves
03 Apr 10

Originally posted by Badwater
Rarely have I heard such a misunderstanding of simple English.

In the Spirituality forum, though, the occasions seems not so rare.
No, I get his point: Christians are quick to kill but afraid to die, and it makes them hypocrites. It's crap, unless he has statistics to show what percentage of Christians have killed someone. It must be fairly low, since I have known a large number and yet don't know of having met one who ever killed anyone. Christian-bashing is stupid unless someone comes up with some uniquely Christian thing worth bashing.

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
03 Apr 10

Originally posted by gearies
What you smoking?. Total nonsense.
I think the OP is very insightful. Christians say anyone can be saved, even their enemies, even while acknowledging that the speaker is a sinner who does not deserve salvation.

p

tinyurl.com/ywohm

Moves
04 Apr 10

Originally posted by AThousandYoung
I think the OP is very insightful. Christians say anyone can be saved, even their enemies, even while acknowledging that the speaker is a sinner who does not deserve salvation.
This is an interesting point, because while I know many Christians who believe in this theoretically, they either don't in practice or hope against it. If they have been wronged (either seriously or in the general flow of life), they want the perp to spend eternity paying for the crime. Having listened to some ghastly prayers of intercession during the "first" Gulf War, I'm fairly sure that there are a large number of Christians who do not want their government's enemies to be saved, or suicide bombers, or doctors who perform abortions, or [insert category of your choice here]. However, if you ask them if everyone can be saved...

Black Beastie

Scheveningen

Moves
04 Apr 10

Originally posted by karoly aczel
Its only a narrow point of view.
However this could be a great topic. My brain is out to lunch at the moment though, but someone else could add something to this fascinating topic.
If I ever die aboard
Sink me in the ocean;
Let me be devoured by black
Fishes 'n' by the ocean😵

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
04 Apr 10

Originally posted by black beetle
If I ever die aboard
Sink me in the ocean;
Let me be devoured by black
Fishes 'n' by the ocean😵
How does she put up with you black sense of humour?

Black Beastie

Scheveningen

Moves
05 Apr 10

Originally posted by karoly aczel
How does she put up with you black sense of humour?
She is more advanced than I and she does not have to mock Death😵

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
05 Apr 10

Originally posted by black beetle
She is more advanced than I and she does not have to mock Death😵
Yes I felt she had to be special to put up with a special person such as yourself.

I too am blessed with a woman that always has her overall sensibilties centered in her own dharma. Oh thoe joy of independent individuals helping the world and each other, rather than sucking each other' energies.

There is no way that we can be stopped now, even if the future is still in the process of forming.
Once we understand the nature of our true selves, the powers that be will have no hold on us ever again.
(thecrowhouse.com)😵