Death Cafés

Death Cafés

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

F

Moves
23 Apr 17

Dying to Talk

There's only one thing in life that's certain: death.

Many people believe that talking about death helps us make more of life.

Thousands of Death Cafés have popped up in countries across the globe, challenging people to open up about the deceased and their own thoughts and fears about dying. Cafes are often over subscribed with organisers having to turn away individuals from sell out events.

Julian Keane visits some of these Death Cafés to explore if a key part of life should be preparing for death. He explores how people across the world deal with death whilst they're living, and if there's really a need for the conversation.

Julian also meets sociologist Bernard Crettaz. He began the concept of Café Mortel (Death Café😉 at an exhibition called La mort à vivre (Death for life) in his Geneva museum. Bernard shares more about his work, the theories behind his Death Café concept and how he feels knowing the world is embracing his concept.

Documentary/podcast:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p050r3kr

Interesting.

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
23 Apr 17

Originally posted by FMF
Dying to Talk

Thousands of Death Cafés have popped up in countries across the globe, challenging people to open up about the deceased and their own thoughts and fears about dying. Cafes are often over subscribed with orga ...[text shortened]... ept.

Documentary/podcast:

Interesting.
I once had egg and chips from a death cafe. 😠

Sorry to digress.

Owner

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
23 Apr 17

1 Corinthians 15:55
O death, where is thy sting? O grave, where is thy victory?

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
23 Apr 17

Originally posted by FMF
Dying to Talk

Thousands of Death Cafés have popped up in countries across the globe, challenging people to open up about the deceased and their own thoughts and fears about dying. Cafes are often over subscribed with orga ...[text shortened]... ept.

Documentary/podcast:

Interesting.
Sounds like a good place for Christians to visit.

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
23 Apr 17

Sad that people don't incorporate seriously considering their life and death into their everyday thoughts and in conversations, and need these sorts of 'events'.
I hope logic prevails and people get to have more say in their own deaths.

Owner

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
23 Apr 17

Originally posted by karoly aczel
Sad that people don't incorporate seriously considering their life and death into their everyday thoughts and in conversations, and need these sorts of 'events'.
I hope logic prevails and people get to have more say in their own deaths.
I'm more interested in talking about life. I have Jesus. Death isn't an issue. Jesus conquered death. Through Jesus I have life eternal.

Owner

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
24 Apr 17

Originally posted by checkbaiter
Sounds like a good place for Christians to visit.
I was thinking the same thing. Can you imagine how disruptive it would be for those who want to talk about death for a Christian to enter the premises and say death has been conquered by Jesus, and that there's nothing to fear in Christ?

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
24 Apr 17

Originally posted by josephw
I was thinking the same thing. Can you imagine how disruptive it would be for those who want to talk about death for a Christian to enter the premises and say death has been conquered by Jesus, and that there's nothing to fear in Christ?
It would be harvest ready for picking.

Owner

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
24 Apr 17
1 edit

Yes. I hope one opens up nearby. No doubt I'll be thrown out on my keester.

F

Moves
24 Apr 17

You think your religion's claims about life after death might appeal to people contemplating their own mortality?

Owner

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
24 Apr 17

Originally posted by FMF
You think your religion's claims about life after death might appeal to people contemplating their own mortality?
Should be.

F

Moves
24 Apr 17

Should be.
Offering the solace of an afterlife narrative is one of the psychological selling points of retail religions.

F

Moves
24 Apr 17

Can you imagine how disruptive it would be for those who want to talk about death for a Christian to enter the premises and say death has been conquered by Jesus, and that there's nothing to fear in Christ?
How would it be "disruptive"?

Have you listened to the documentary?

Owner

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
24 Apr 17

Originally posted by FMF
Offering the solace of an afterlife narrative is one of the psychological selling points of retail religions.
The afterlife is for sale? That's wonderful. How much does it cost?

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
24 Apr 17

The afterlife is for sale? That's wonderful. How much does it cost?
Will cost you your intellectual integrity.