1. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    25 May '11 16:21
    http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/03/110330192201.htm

This study links personal death anxiety to acceptance of 'Intelligent design', the latest dodge for creationism.

I have no doubt the religious set will condemn this study and all others showing why ID is dreaming in the wind.
  2. Joined
    26 May '08
    Moves
    25 May '11 17:011 edit
    Originally posted by sonhouse

This study links personal death anxiety to acceptance of 'Intelligent design', the latest dodge for creationism.

I have no doubt the religious set will condemn this study and all others showing why ID is dreaming in the wind.
    I find it very surprising where it indicates that many people often use naturalism and evolutionary theory to find a sense of “meaning” in life. I find that very eccentric indeed.
    These people must have a totally different way of thinking from the way I do for I cannot do that and just would not ever think like that -unless I have misunderstood what it says?
  3. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    25 May '11 18:40
    Originally posted by Andrew Hamilton
    I find it very surprising where it indicates that many people often use naturalism and evolutionary theory to find a sense of “meaning” in life. I find that very eccentric indeed.
    These people must have a totally different way of thinking from the way I do for I cannot do that and just would not ever think like that -unless I have misunderstood what it says?
    What is your definition of 'naturalism'?

Are you saying they find meaning in evolution outside of religious dogma? I think the religious set demands atheism to not have meaning in life, something I find abhorrent, disingenuous and arrogant to boot. And I don't even claim to be atheist.
  4. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    26 May '11 13:19

Duh, it spouts that evolution is accepted by all the proper people, those
    scientists that believe in evolution as the best explation for the beginning of life
    and belittles those that don't accept it, this something new?
    Kelly
  5. Joined
    26 May '08
    Moves
    26 May '11 17:432 edits
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    scientists that believe in evolution as the best explation for the beginning of life
    Kelly
    “...it spouts that evolution is accepted by all the proper people, those
    scientists that believe in evolution as the BEST EXPLANATION for the beginning of life ...” (spelling corrected and my emphasis)

NO IT DOES NOT! Where does it say that?

“....and belittles those that don't accept it, ...”

again, NO IT DOES NOT! Where does it do that?

Have you read it?
  6. Joined
    26 May '08
    Moves
    26 May '11 18:04
    What is your definition of 'naturalism'?

Are you saying they find meaning in evolution outside of religious dogma? I think the religious set demands atheism to not have meaning in life, something I find abhorrent, disingenuous and arrogant to boot. And I don't even claim to be atheist.
    “...What is your definition of 'naturalism'? ...”

rightly or wrongly, I have taken its meaning to be the belief that we can only rationally assume natural causes (as opposed to supernatural causes) as explanations to all observed phenomena in the world.

“...Are you saying they find meaning in evolution outside of religious dogma? ...”

that is one of the things I, rightly or wrongly, assumed the link implied can happen.

“...I think the religious set demands atheism to not have meaning in life, something I find abhorrent, disingenuous and arrogant to boot. ...”

I am with total agreement with you here for I feel the same. But, personally, I can only see meaning in my life by discovering what it is I want and also by doing something that I find meaningful. But I cannot see how I can find meaning in my life by considering either evolution or naturalism (as I understand it) hence my surprise on what I think that link implies -unless the link implies no such thing? Perhaps I have just misunderstood the link.
  7. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    26 May '11 19:161 edit
    “...What is your definition of 'naturalism'? ...”

rightly or wrongly, I have taken its meaning to be the belief that we can only rationally assume natural causes (as opposed to supernatural causes) as explanations to all observed phenomena in the world.

“...Are you saying they find meaning in evolution outside of religious dogma? ...”

that i ...[text shortened]... nk implies -unless the link implies no such thing? Perhaps I have just misunderstood the link.
    I think all the link implies is some people fear death and if there is offered a way out they will swallow the story hook line and sinker, regardless of how this way flies in the face of reason.
  8. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    26 May '11 20:37
    “...it spouts that evolution is accepted by all the proper people, those
    scientists that believe in evolution as the BEST EXPLANATION for the beginning of life ...” (spelling corrected and my emphasis)

NO IT DOES NOT! Where does it say that?

“....and belittles those that don't accept it, ...”

again, NO IT DOES NOT! Where does it do that?

Have you read it?
    "British evolutionary biologist Prof. Dawkins, like the majority of scientists, argues that life's origins are best explained by Charles Darwin's theory of natural selection. However, intelligent design advocates such as Prof. Behe, a U.S. author and biochemist, assert that complex biochemical and cellular structures are too complex to be explained by evolutionary mechanisms and should be attributed to a supernatural creator."

I was quite fond of this part, "...Prof. Dawkins, like the majority of scientists..."
    where a distinction was made on what side of the discusion everyone was on.
    Kelly
  9. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    27 May '11 10:46
    "British evolutionary biologist Prof. Dawkins, like the majority of scientists, argues that life's origins are best explained by Charles Darwin's theory of natural selection. However, intelligent design advocates such as Prof. Behe, a U.S. author and biochemist, assert that complex biochemical and cellular structures are too complex to be explained by evolu ...[text shortened]... ts..."
    Kelly
    Which of course is a red herring, trying to deflect the argument about death anxiety.
  10. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    27 May '11 10:57
    Kelly
    when will you and everyone else(like you) finally get it? evolution is only "the change over time in one or more inherited traits found in populations of organisms"(wiki). it isn't explaining how or why life began. an intelligent creator is not incompatible with evolution. you only wish your creator used magic to bring the world to be as opposed to a billion year evolution process because somehow you think the former is "awesomer".

dude, if you keep insisting on refusing to accept evolution (as if god would damn you to hell for not believing in a highly metaphorical and badly written passage in a holy book from which you already discard about half of it) why not read some stuff or two about it. at the very least you will no longer provide ammo for the evolutionists who call you on your lack of understanding of the theory you argue against.
  11. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    27 May '11 11:02
    "British evolutionary biologist Prof. Dawkins, like the majority of scientists, argues that life's origins are best explained by Charles Darwin's theory of natural selection. However, intelligent design advocates such as Prof. Behe, a U.S. author and biochemist, assert that complex biochemical and cellular structures are too complex to be explained by evolu ...[text shortened]... ts..."
    Kelly
    that complex biochemical and cellular structures are too complex to be explained by evolutionary mechanisms and should be attributed to a supernatural creator

so mr behe claims those structures are too complex to be explained by evolution. therefore he logically assumes that a supernatural creator is involved. i say it was a sudden portal from a parallel universe that brought dna material here.

of course, my theory is slightly more outlandish than behe's (or is it?). but the point is, how can you accept one theory over another when neither has any proof supporting it?
  12. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    27 May '11 11:16

That doesn't make sense.

How can I be afraid of dieing when I know I'm going to live forever?
  13. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    27 May '11 11:51
    Originally posted by josephw
    Many people who are afraid of dying tell themselves that they are going to live forever.
  14. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    27 May '11 12:17

Here's another example of good money being thrown away needlessly. Tracy, Hart and Martens essentially wasted their time and efforts on a piece of crap, which they now hoist exuberantly above their heads as though holding a trophy. As if that wasn't enough, they failed to find anything solid.

Death anxiety? Seriously? Who ever died and then subsequently shared the tale with those living? What's there to fear?
  15. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    27 May '11 12:51
    Originally posted by josephw
    That doesn't make sense.

Live forever? How? In a "spirit-body" or some such?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree