1. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    05 Feb '12 16:08
    not knowing much about religion and yours in particular i would be interested to know what your religion thinks about animals. is it just the eating of meat that is a problem or is it animal welfare as well? can you kill an animal but not eat it? can you use animal by products? is it some form of sin to eat meat or more of philosophical view? is it a bad thing to accidentally kill and animal/insect? are you able to use animal for manual labour? if you had a child and a dog and they were starving to death, does your religion make exceptions and let you kill the dog to feed the child? is it okay for hospitals to use pig blood when needed (the pig isnt killed).
    sorry, many questions!!!!

cheers,
    spalfie.
  2. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    07 Feb '12 03:31
    Originally posted by stellspalfie
    not knowing much about religion and yours in particular i would be interested to know what your religion thinks about animals. is it just the eating of meat that is a problem or is it animal welfare as well? can you kill an animal but not eat it? can you use animal by products? is it some form of sin to eat meat or more of philosophical view? is it a ba ...[text shortened]... e pig blood when needed (the pig isnt killed).

cheers,
    spalfie.
    I think you will find that Dasa rarely answers questions, rather, he is too busy telling you the way things are to be bothered.
  3. Standard memberrvsakhadeo
    rvsakhadeo
    India
    Moves
    07 Feb '12 12:31
    not knowing much about religion and yours in particular i would be interested to know what your religion thinks about animals. is it just the eating of meat that is a problem or is it animal welfare as well? can you kill an animal but not eat it? can you use animal by products? is it some form of sin to eat meat or more of philosophical view? is it a ba ...[text shortened]... e pig blood when needed (the pig isnt killed).

cheers,
    spalfie.
    Hindu view:- It is OK to eat meat, except beef. Though there are no religous bans on eating non-beef meat, priests normally do not eat meat. Brahmins are the priestly caste. Yet many Brahmins not engaged in priestly vocation eat meat, since about the start of 20 th century.It is a fact that a few modern ( very few ) Hindus also eat beef. There is a story in the Puranas that Vishwamitra the great sage ate a dog's leg, when there was a famine in the country. It is, however, ströngly recommended to a seeker of spirituality to absolutely desist from eating spicy food, let alone any meat.Animal products are used but leather footware is to be removed before one enters a house or a temple.
  4. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    07 Feb '12 19:18
    Originally posted by rvsakhadeo
    Hindu view:- It is OK to eat meat, except beef. Though there are no religous bans on eating non-beef meat, priests normally do not eat meat. Brahmins are the priestly caste. Yet many Brahmins not engaged in priestly vocation eat meat, since about the start of 20 th century.It is a fact that a few modern ( very few ) Hindus also eat beef. There is a story ...[text shortened]... products are used but leather footware is to be removed before one enters a house or a temple.
    thanks for the answer. why does dasa call everybody meateaters as if in his eyes its an insult?
  5. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    07 Feb '12 19:24
    Hindu view:- It is OK to eat meat, except beef. Though there are no religous bans on eating non-beef meat, priests normally do not eat meat. Brahmins are the priestly caste. Yet many Brahmins not engaged in priestly vocation eat meat, since about the start of 20 th century.It is a fact that a few modern ( very few ) Hindus also eat beef. There is a story ...[text shortened]... products are used but leather footware is to be removed before one enters a house or a temple.
    Why the edict about spicy foods? In the south of India, spicy food is a protection against bacteria, how is that in any way connected to spirituality?
  6. Standard memberrvsakhadeo
    rvsakhadeo
    India
    Moves
    08 Feb '12 05:55
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Why the edict about spicy foods? In the south of India, spicy food is a protection against bacteria, how is that in any way connected to spirituality?
    What I have read in our books is that intake of spicy food gives rise to " tamasic " desires and " tamasic " behavioural patterns, which are not at all advisable when öne is a sadhak or a spiritual seeker. By tamasic is meant the darker aspect of one's personality. These will include hot temper, abnormal sexual appetite, abnormal appetite preferences like for stale food etc. As regards bacteria, food all over India is safe. Can't say that about water, though.
  7. Standard memberrvsakhadeo
    rvsakhadeo
    India
    Moves
    08 Feb '12 05:58
    thanks for the answer. why does dasa call everybody meateaters as if in his eyes its an insult?
    Dasa is unduly harsh.
  8. Standard memberrvsakhadeo
    rvsakhadeo
    India
    Moves
    08 Feb '12 06:32
    What I have read in our books is that intake of spicy food gives rise to " tamasic " desires and " tamasic " behavioural patterns, which are not at all advisable when öne is a sadhak or a spiritual seeker. By tamasic is meant the darker aspect of one's personality. These will include hot temper, abnormal sexual appetite, abnormal appetite preferences lik ...[text shortened]... etc. As regards bacteria, food all over India is safe. Can't say that about water, though.
    Further to my post above, to my knowledge, Turmeric, among the spices used in Indian food is the best antibiotic followed by Ginger and Tamarind. Also cloves.Do not know about effects of green/red chilli pods or about black pepper. Salt , of course, is an antibiotic. Turmeric is used in the form of a paste in many Ayurvedic ( indian system of medicine ) facial creams for the ladies. Turmeric and cloves are used in toothpastes also.
  9. Standard memberrvsakhadeo
    rvsakhadeo
    India
    Moves
    08 Feb '12 08:08
    Further to my post above, to my knowledge, Turmeric, among the spices used in Indian food is the best antibiotic followed by Ginger and Tamarind. Also cloves.Do not know about effects of green/red chilli pods or about black pepper. Salt , of course, is an antibiotic. Turmeric is used in the form of a paste in many Ayurvedic ( indian system of medicine ) facial creams for the ladies. Turmeric and cloves are used in toothpastes also.
    In Indian thought esp.regarding spiritualism, the three types of personalities described are i ) Sattvic ii ) Rajasic iii ) Tamasic. Tamasic people are those in whom the usually undesirable characteristics dominate. Brutality, abnormal passions, anti-social behaviour, melancholia, habitual drug takers, drunkards etc.will be Tamasic people. Rajasic people will be most of humanity i.e.fond of good life, of money, status, achievement, loving praise but ready to hurl insults back, lovers of argument, fond of occassional gambles and drinks and drugs, fönd of own children but not of other's children, moody etc. Sattvic people are like infants i.e.who have left it to God ( in case of children to their parents ) to take care of them. Indifferent to pleasure or pain, to vicissitudes of life, always ready to sacrifice their interests for others, kind and respectful even to hostile people, happy always whether poor or rich but preferring frugality and simplicity.
  10. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    08 Feb '12 11:27
    In Indian thought esp.regarding spiritualism, the three types of personalities described are i ) Sattvic ii ) Rajasic iii ) Tamasic. Tamasic people are those in whom the usually undesirable characteristics dominate. Brutality, abnormal passions, anti-social behaviour, melancholia, habitual drug takers, drunkards etc.will be Tamasic people. Rajasic people ...[text shortened]... n to hostile people, happy always whether poor or rich but preferring frugality and simplicity.
    seems like a lot of pigeon hole'ing and generalisations. id say people are a mix and can show aspects of from each of the personalities described. are the personalities deemed to be set at birth or can nurture have an effect on your spiritual personality?
  11. Standard memberrvsakhadeo
    rvsakhadeo
    India
    Moves
    08 Feb '12 12:11
    seems like a lot of pigeon hole'ing and generalisations. id say people are a mix and can show aspects of from each of the personalities described. are the personalities deemed to be set at birth or can nurture have an effect on your spiritual personality?
    The personalities are not set. Humanity is not divided into 3 set types. If my post gave that impression, I hereby clarify. We all have all the 3 types of characteristics.We have to discard our Tamasic and Rajasic characteristics in favour of the Sattvic characteristics. This is our stepping up on the spiritual staircase. Of course, there could be, among the myriad no.of humans, a large no.of purely Tamasic characters. A smaller no.of humans, whom we call Saints, are the purely Sattvic characters.
  12. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    08 Feb '12 12:551 edit
    Hindu view:- It is OK to eat meat, except beef. Though there are no religous bans on eating non-beef meat, priests normally do not eat meat. Brahmins are the priestly caste. Yet many Brahmins not engaged in priestly vocation eat meat, since about the start of 20 th century.It is a fact that a few modern ( very few ) Hindus also eat beef. There is a story products are used but leather footware is to be removed before one enters a house or a temple.
    Dasa says Hinduism is among the false religions, remember. I am sure
    he would not agree to killing any animal for any reason.

P.S. Evil people, on the other hand, is a different story.
  13. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    08 Feb '12 13:071 edit
    Dasa recognizes that God made the animals living souls just like he did man.
    So killing the animal, especially the mother cow that provides so much to a
    family is wrong and evil. He believes having slaughter houses to routinely kill
    animals is very evil because the animals are made to be afraid and then he
    believes they are tortured and feel pain during the killing.
  14. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    08 Feb '12 13:53
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    Dasa recognizes that God made the animals living souls just like he did man.
    So killing the animal, especially the mother cow that provides so much to a
    family is wrong and evil. He believes having slaughter houses to routinely kill
    animals is very evil because the animals are made to be afraid and then he
    believes they are tortured and feel pain during the killing.
    What Dasa chose to ignore is that animals obviously need to be slaughtered if they are to be eaten. His "meateaters" 'insult' is really only relevant or meaningful to people who happen to subscribe to the same belief system as he does. The fact that he - very oddly - thought that being called "meateaters" might somehow browbeat non-vegetarians into being receptive to his religionist pitch, kind of encapsulates the essential intellectual and interpersonal communication problem with his clearly ineffective 'ministry' in this community.
  15. Joined
    20 May '10
    Moves
    09 Feb '12 14:56
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    Dasa says Hinduism is among the false religions, remember. I am sure
    he would not agree to killing any animal for any reason.

P.S. Evil people, on the other hand, is a different story.
    Dasa is not here and you are spreading lies about him. So now find me where Dasa has said Hinduism is false? because he never said it was false, but he said it was confused and mixed up with speculation. Hinduism is that way because over the centuries and being the Age of Kali people degrade things and change things over time

If dasa where here himself I am sure he would say Hinduism is the most truest religion on earth because Hinduism takes its knowledge from the Vedas and Dasa has said that Hinduism concerns itself with Demigod worship which is not false but misunderstood and poorly explained.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree