Creation/Evolution

Creation/Evolution

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
22 Jul 09
1 edit

Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
You're better off reading his post than my doubtless faulty synopsis. Don't be scared. Then we can compare synopses and see whether we were reading the same thing.
God! I hope we are reading the same thing.
I've got daniel's bs to contend with after i go to bed.
(no offence daniel)

Black Beastie

Scheveningen

Moves
22 Jul 09

When I try to spot the “inner meaning” and the “deeper purpose” of the so called morality, the sole thing I see is just Us😵

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
22 Jul 09

Originally posted by karoly aczel
i read his post and now I'm more than ever interested in your synopsis.
Now I'm the one who's in jail!

AH

Moves
22 Jul 09
2 edits

Originally posted by LemonJello
I have a question of clarification concerning your stance. It seems clear that your stance is anti-realist in that you would deny that there are any actual referents for moral terms and concepts. For instance, I am sure you would deny that the moral faculty (as in, our ability and propensity to think in moral terms, to make moral judgments, etc) is actu riptive understanding of doxastic (ir)rationality you are employing.
…It seems clear that your stance is anti-realist in that you would deny that there are any actual referents for moral terms and concepts.

-I am not sure if I have understood you here but I think so -yes.

But note that I am not “anti-realist” in the more general sense of the term (if I have understood its meaning correctly).

…if you think that moral beliefs/statements serve to express propositions but that such propositions are always false because there are no moral facts to which they could correspond,
….

Yes, that’s my general position.

…On the other hand, if you think moral beliefs/statements serve principally to express emotions (not propositions),
…..

Well, moral beliefs/statements don’t mean that for me.
But I wouldn’t deny that for some (but I assume not most) people this IS purely what moral beliefs/statements mean but then I wouldn’t be talking about the same thing as they do when I talk about “moral”.

…it would seem that thinking in moral terms (whether we like it or not, and even if there happens to be no actual referents for such terms) is pretty deeply ingrained in us.

Most of us -I agree. But I don’t think it is a very logical way to think though.
I see this predisposition for us to think ‘morally’ as one of “evolution’s blunders”.

-sorry for not giving a more comprehensive response to your post -you say a great deal in that post!
I think you post ‘requires’ a more comprehensive response.

Cape Town

Moves
22 Jul 09

Originally posted by Andrew Hamilton
-I can experience the emotion of "happiness" so I know the emotion of "happiness" exists (even though I don’t know how to define it).
I would not deny the existence of anything that is verifiable by experience.
What about your likes and dislikes - do they exist? You don't experience them as such. They are more a set of rules that can affect whether or not you experience happiness.

Black Beastie

Scheveningen

Moves
22 Jul 09

I have a question of clarification concerning your stance. It seems clear that your stance is anti-realist in that you would deny that there are any actual referents for moral terms and concepts. For instance, I am sure you would deny that the moral faculty (as in, our ability and propensity to think in moral terms, to make moral judgments, etc) is actu ...[text shortened]... riptive understanding of doxastic (ir)rationality you are employing.
Clear; however, thinking in moral terms is just a result of one's dualistic approach. You see, I believe that life is sacred -and I feel not the need to back up morally this approach of mine, just as I feel not the need to back up morally my approach that I will kill on the spot whoever threats deadly the persons I love.
As you see, my conclusion that "life is sacred" is not a product of my "morality" but a product of my intelligence.

And this is the flip side: a pure product of the human mind, morality seems to me “empty”. We spend our energy in order to have this beloved fortress well constructed for social and personal purposes, but by the time we realized it is just another product of ours, of our ego, designed to establish a prosper life (the way each society perceive it) for us and for everyone, we would better let it drop out. I am always free to choose which products of mine will make a product out of me, that is.

So, when I try to spot the “inner meaning” and the “deeper purpose” of the so called morality, the sole thing I see is just Us. Therefore I break the cause-effect chain. And I see no reason to put "morality" above my intelligence.
Do you?
😵

AH

Moves
22 Jul 09
1 edit

Originally posted by twhitehead
What about your likes and dislikes - do they exist? You don't experience them as such. They are more a set of rules that can affect whether or not you experience happiness.
…What about your likes and dislikes - do they exist?

Of course.

…You don't experience them as such. They are more a set of rules that can affect whether or not you experience happiness.
….

Yes, and I can verify the existence of those “rules” by seeing what my various experiences of happiness correlate with.
So I would say the belief in the existence of those ‘rules’ (and hence the existence of likes and dislikes) is verifiable by the evidence that I can personally observe within me thus I conclude that my likes and dislikes exist.

-not sure how this would relate to what is “moral” for I don’t see how any observation/evidence can logically verify or give credence to the hypothesis of the existence of “moral”.

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
22 Jul 09
1 edit

[b]…What about your likes and dislikes - do they exist?

Of course.[/b]
Do they? Can you demonstrate a substance called Happiness?

Have you ever met a helpful person?
Does the quality of helpfulness exist?
Is helpfulness a virtue?
Does possessing virtues make one virtuous?
Is it possible to behave virtuously?

Moves
22 Jul 09

I have a question of clarification concerning your stance. It seems clear that your stance is anti-realist in that you would deny that there are any actual referents for moral terms and concepts. For instance, I am sure you would deny that the moral faculty (as in, our ability and propensity to think in moral terms, to make moral judgments, etc) is actu ...[text shortened]... riptive understanding of doxastic (ir)rationality you are employing.
Thanks for taking the trouble to make the case, better than I could have.

Cape Town

Moves
22 Jul 09

-not sure how this would relate to what is “moral” for I don’t see how any observation/evidence can logically verify or give credence to the hypothesis of the existence of “moral”.
I think the word "moral" takes on various meanings but one of them is a sort of human instinct that I believe has evolved due to our need to live in societies. If we wish to cooperate we must respect others likes and dislikes and to some extent demand that they respect ours. To a large extent I say something is 'morally wrong' if it impinges on someones likes or causes someones dislikes. But I can think of no good reason why you should follow that 'code' other than self interest or instinct on your part, but I still maintain that the code is as existent as your likes or dislikes.

Black Beastie

Scheveningen

Moves
22 Jul 09

[b]…I don't know if this is a good analogy, but would you equally argue that "happiness" does not exist?

-I can experience the emotion of "happiness" so I know the emotion of "happiness" exists (even though I don’t know how to define it).
I would not deny the existence of anything that is verifiable by experience/evidence.[/b]
Your mind is the agent that offers you the experience of the experience that "you" experience. It seems to me that you use solely your mind in order to experience whatever you experience. Your mind determines your nature and it conducts this process according to its own nature, therefore your nature is just the nature of your mind (if you disagree, then kindly please show me an existence beyond your mind).
Now, what is the nature of the "reality" of the emotion of happiness that you experience?
😵

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
22 Jul 09

Originally posted by black beetle
Your mind is the agent that offers you the experience of the experience that "you" experience. It seems to me that you use solely your mind in order to experience whatever you experience. Your mind determines your nature and it conducts this process according to its own nature, therefore your nature is just the nature of your mind (if you disagree, then ...[text shortened]... ow, what is the nature of the "reality" of the emotion of happiness that you experience?
😵
I want to see what happens if I ask you these questions:

Is helpfulness a virtue?

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
22 Jul 09

Is helpfulness a virtue?
It appears that you dont mind whether AH or blackbeetle answers your questions so how about me?
1.yes
2.yes
3.it is a virtue but not always in the short term..
4.i suppose it does until they stop being virtuous.
5. anythings possible.
Now where are you going with these questions?

Black Beastie

Scheveningen

Moves
22 Jul 09

Is helpfulness a virtue?
Many times I was in touch with helpful persons.

Helpfulness exists as an extrapolation of the awareness of the mind of the helpful person.

Helpfulness is the result of a specific modification of the mind. Helfulness can be evaluated at a given spacetime and at given circumstances as a virtue, as stupidity, as an attitude that plays no role at all, etc.

Possesing virtues is possible by means that one has the potential to keep his mind focused at a specific necessary modification within a given spacetime. A "virtue" at its core is merely our IQ/ EQ know-how regarding the proper use of our dynamism within our given society, therefore it is "empty", it has no existence on its own.

You behave the way your intelligence urges you to behave. If you are determined to apply a certain "virtue", you will apply it.
😵

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
22 Jul 09

Originally posted by black beetle
Many times I was in touch with helpful persons.

Helpfulness exists as an extrapolation of the awareness of the mind of the helpful person.

Helpfulness is the result of a specific modification of the mind. Helfulness can be evaluated at a given spacetime and at given circumstances as a virtue, as stupidity, as an attitude that plays no role at all, ...[text shortened]... s you to behave. If you are determined to apply a certain "virtue", you will apply it.
😵
So the short answer to 'does virtue exist' is 'yes and no'.