creating a soul

creating a soul

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

j

Moves
02 Jul 09

Originally posted by PsychoPawn
There's nothing that I see in that quote that specifies that he's referring to christianity.

I'm pretty sure the concept of a heaven and a soul predates Christianity by a long shot.
Its a point.

But hey, don't I get a chance to play skeptic too ?

j

Moves
02 Jul 09
3 edits

Originally posted by TerrierJack
http://www.sinc.sunysb.edu/clubs/buddhism/dhammananda/115.htm

I would like to point out the fact that translation always plays a big part in these matters. That is why most Buddhists would think it absurd to get hung up on literalism or historicity (collectively we have dealt with these issues for a long time - the traditional date of Gautama's birth you are human you can engage in the conversation - the same as all great human endeavors.
Thanks for the link. It is an interesting discussion.

For the record the Bible does talk about the souls of those who have died. However, it is emphatic that the state of the soul being seperated from the body is abnormal regardless of its eternality or not.

The state of a soul being without a body, in heaven or anywhere else, would be discribed by the Apostle Paul as a state of being found "naked". And he said that the apostles did not desire to be found "naked" but be clothed upon with thier resurrection bodies.

"Popularanity" may speak about souls in Heaven. But the New Testament, the foundational teaching of the Christian faith, states that to be unclothed, naked as a disembodied soul is not normal, not desired by God, should not be desired by the redeemed of God, as a permenant state.

I want to re-read your comment about history.

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
02 Jul 09

Originally posted by Andrew Hamilton
So ‘where’ do you think mind is located (assuming you think it is located 'somewhere'!? ) ?
Our individual 'minds' have there center in the middle of our stomachs.

anybody seen my

underpants??

Moves
02 Jul 09

Originally posted by karoly aczel
Our individual 'minds' have there center in the middle of our stomachs.
interesting concept. Is there a number I can call to join your "study group". I can bring my own kool-aid

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
02 Jul 09

Originally posted by duecer
interesting concept. Is there a number I can call to join your "study group". I can bring my own kool-aid
Andrew did have it right in one sense though, our minds aren,t found anywhere local as such. But if you want to 'touch' your 'mind' then it is best to start by feeling the pit of your stomach as a guide.
For my study group just wait for the next 'time-space wave' to sweep you up and we will meet on the outskirts of the fifth dimension.
And dont forget the kool-aid🙂

g

Pepperland

Moves
02 Jul 09

Originally posted by duecer
priceless.

🙂

g

Pepperland

Moves
02 Jul 09

Andrew did have it right in one sense though, our minds aren,t found anywhere local as such. But if you want to 'touch' your 'mind' then it is best to start by feeling the pit of your stomach as a guide.
For my study group just wait for the next 'time-space wave' to sweep you up and we will meet on the outskirts of the fifth dimension.
I know the kind of stuff you put into that kool-aid of yours.

see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drinking_the_Kool-Aid

AH

Moves
02 Jul 09

Andrew did have it right in one sense though, our minds aren,t found anywhere local as such.
….

What? I didn’t say that.

Our mind is a process of almost the whole brain so is located in the brain and almost the whole of it.

Moves
02 Jul 09

Consciousness is consciousness of.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intentionality

"All that we are is the result of what we have thought: it is founded on our thoughts, it is made up of our thoughts. " - Buddha'

BTW - don't take this as embracing idealism - it is phenomenology.

TL

Moves
02 Jul 09

Bahai Faith- The soul is created by God. It is the first thing to recognize God. It has 5 powers. Common faculty, and the power of imaginaton.thought,comprehension and memory. It is what makes us different then the animal.

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
02 Jul 09

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
02 Jul 09

A minor devil was out walking in Eden one morning when he saw God kneeling beside a lump of clay and blowing into its nostrils. 'What are you doing, God' asked the devil. 'I'm creating, a soul,' came the reply.

j

Moves
02 Jul 09
1 edit

Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
A minor devil was out walking in Eden one morning when he saw God kneeling beside a lump of clay and blowing into its nostrils. 'What are you doing, God' asked the devil. 'I'm creating, a soul,' came the reply.
Not too far off. A little imaginative but basically I would agree.

The Devil was in the air. And he probably figured out what his own Creator was doing.

That was creating a new being to replace him as the top creation. Only this one was, can you believe it ?? Made of DUST !!

Quickly he moved into action to derange God's purpose and make a preemptive strike to regain the world that he had lost.

anybody seen my

underpants??

Moves
02 Jul 09

that feeling yer gut is a reaction to the sympathetic nervous system, and is tied by nuerons to the brain

j

Moves
02 Jul 09

The Bible says that God breathed the breath of life into the nostrils of man and man became a living soul.

The body was there. The spirit or "breath" of life was from God into this body. The result of the two being combined was that man became a living soul.

We have a physical dimension to contact the physical world.
We have a pscyhological dimension to contact the world of souls.
We have a spiritual dimension to contact God.

The breath of life from God is something very close to God but not God Himself. When He imparted it into the nostrils of the clay formed body the two were joined and a third matter came into existence - man suddenly became a living soul.