Convince me

Convince me

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

T

Moves
02 Dec 12

Originally posted by divegeester
My beliefs have already been "sketched out by Proper Knob" in this thread. I've nothing to hide; I'm non-denominational Christian and anti-organised religion. Why don't you pick up on the OP and convince methat whatever it is you believe is something I should be interested in?
Why don't you pick up on the OP and convince methat whatever it is you believe is something I should be interested in?

The answer is contained in my previous post. You should consider that no one's really taken you up on your offer simply because you're putting others "in the position of having to guess what might constitute 'new information or revelation' for [you]".

Do you really think your "sketch" addresses that? If you truly have "nothing to hide", then just lay it out there.

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
02 Dec 12

Bump for Galveston....
I asked you what do you have to talk about? Go for it...

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
03 Dec 12

Originally posted by galveston75
I asked you what do you have to talk about? Go for it...
On page one you said you had "always been open" and were open to anything that may contradict JW doctrine; I asked you if this included anything we have debated over the last 4 years. You have not replied. Are you open to contradictory views on the godhead for example?

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
03 Dec 12
2 edits

Originally posted by karoly aczel
I think being open is the most important thing if you want to know the truth.
look at your own words "..just be sure it is the truth." How can he be sure, if he is not open?
And even after you have latched onto something that makes sense in your life, it doesn't end there, there is fine tuning to do, there are deeper levels of understanding the same words that first moved you.
Truth does not depend on me, if I have to accept something without proof I
have to acknowledge I'm really on faith and belief. What is truth, if I have to
assume certain things than I'm no better off, you need to be clear about what
is going on. To assume your 'right' is very limited, to believe your right leaves
you the room to wiggle.
Kelly

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
03 Dec 12

Originally posted by Proper Knob
[b]Why do you think being open is either a good thing or to be desired?

You think being open-minded is a bad thing Kelly?

You want to be so wavy nothing is solid for you, you want to be swayed by every word out of everyone's mouth?

It's not about being swayed, it's about being intellectually brave; for want of a better word, enough t ...[text shortened]... with, just be sure it is the truth.[/b]

How is one to know when they have found the truth?[/b]
Being able to recieve another point of view is good, always having to accept
the other, or equally bad always having to reject it is not open. I think we have
a harder time looking at ourselves than we do listening to what others have to
say.
Kelly

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
03 Dec 12

Originally posted by Rank outsider
Why is being 'open' the same as 'being swayed by every word out of everyone's mouth'?

You can be genuinely open to arguments, and reject every one put in front of you. It is only if you do not consider them properly that you should be accused of not being open.

People often complain 'You're not listening to me' when really they mean 'You are not agreeing with me'.
🙂 I agree with you about listening and agreeing. I also like after hearing
someone tell me what they think, they then say I've proved to you I'm right.
Kelly

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
03 Dec 12

How does me being "open"mean that I am "swayed on every word of everyone's mouth"?

Is that how you perceive me here?
No, I do not think of you like that here, I am however trying to be very clear
on what open means.
Kelly

F

Moves
03 Dec 12

Originally posted by KellyJay
Being able to recieve another point of view is good, always having to accept the other, or equally bad always having to reject it is not open.
Who is suggesting that being "open" involves "always having to accept the other"? I don't see anyone suggesting that here. Do you think someone has?

Cape Town

Moves
03 Dec 12

My beliefs have already been "sketched out by Proper Knob" in this thread. I've nothing to hide; I'm non-denominational Christian and anti-organised religion. Why don't you pick up on the OP and convince methat whatever it is you believe is something I should be interested in?
What things would you guess that I believe that you do not believe? I am struggling to find a topic to discuss. I realise that you are a Christian, so we could go into that, but that is tackled all the time on this forum, so it would hardly be anything new.

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
03 Dec 12
1 edit

On page one you said you had "always been open" and were open to anything that may contradict JW doctrine; I asked you if this included anything we have debated over the last 4 years. You have not replied. Are you open to contradictory views on the godhead for example?
I'm open for anything. I'm not blind on others beliefs and do just as the Bible says and that is to test what one believes everyday.
Again up to this second in time there is "nothing" I disagree with with the WTS.

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
03 Dec 12

Originally posted by KellyJay
Being able to recieve another point of view is good, always having to accept
the other, or equally bad always having to reject it is not open. I think we have
a harder time looking at ourselves than we do listening to what others have to
say.
Kelly
Hey Kelly. Yes one has to be open and be willing to see the other side. This is how we progress with knowledge about any subject, especally with spiritual matters.
If one does not do this it wll never help on to gain knowledge of an ever progressing issue.
If one only studied a book on science from the 1950's for example, where would that leave one today?
And that's no different then God's word. He told us in it that the "light" or the ability to understand what is in it would progress or get brighter as the days draw nearer to the end of this system.
Jesus also commanded us to do as he did and teach those who will listen. If we know very litle of what they believe it would be very hard to relate to their understandings of the Bible.

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
04 Dec 12

I'm open for anything. I'm not blind on others beliefs and do just as the Bible says and that is to test what one believes everyday.
Again up to this second in time there is "nothing" I disagree with with the WTS.
How are you "open" to any of the topics I've raised with you over the last 4 years?

You talk about "not being blind to the beliefs of others", but that is not the same as being "open" is it? Being open means that you are actively receptive to considering the ideas of other people even if they contradict your current belief structure. Do you think you demonstrate this mind-set?

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
04 Dec 12

... there is "nothing" I disagree with with the WTS.
Don't you think this is a rather peculiar position for a person to be in; completely agreeing with every single thing uttered by the leadership of temporal religious organisation and those leaders by your own admission in this forum, are fallible human beings?

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
04 Dec 12

How are you "open" to any of the topics I've raised with you over the last 4 years?

You talk about "not being blind to the beliefs of others", but that is not the same as being "open" is it? Being open means that you are actively receptive to considering the ideas of other people even if they contradict your current belief structure. Do you think you demonstrate this mind-set?
Yes. I always have and always will. I think I explined that to you already.

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
04 Dec 12

Don't you think this is a rather peculiar position for a person to be in; completely agreeing with every single thing uttered by the leadership of temporal religious organisation and those leaders by your own admission in this forum, are fallible human beings?
Nope. Not a bad thing at all. In fact it is a wonderful thing. Never in my life have I ever met anyone of another religion that completely agrees with their religions teachings and doctrines, ever. That is the norm and I know that is a fact.
So sense that is the norm I see why it would confuse you that there is a religion that it's followers do agree with what we believe.
Sorry for your unbelief with this fact....