Conundrum for the literal fundamentalist .....

Conundrum for the literal fundamentalist .....

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BWA Soldier

Tha Brotha Hood

Moves
17 May 05

Originally posted by lucifershammer
As I mentioned before, a logical form for a subordinating conjunction like WHILE will necessarily need to take into account the temporal and situational context of the statement.
It's not subordinate. See above for a proof.

l

London

Moves
17 May 05

Originally posted by DoctorScribbles
It is a coordinating conjuction as used by the monk.

Refer to this: http://grammar.uoregon.edu/conjunctions/coordinating.html

"While is a coordinating conjunction when its meaning is during the time that or throughout the time that."

This reference suggests that the monk should have used "although" if he intended subordination. But the ...[text shortened]... d from it, other than that some people have no qualms about abusing language when it suits them.
Nevertheless, the reference does not say it is WRONG to use while to mean although. It is this ambiguity in the above statement that gives it humour.

C
W.P. Extraordinaire

State of Franklin

Moves
17 May 05

It's not subordinate. See above for a proof.
Sure it is. You would not say "while smoking?" or "while praying?" They are dependent on the main clause: "can I smoke?" or "can I pray?"

I've never seen you so off the mark.

l

London

Moves
17 May 05
1 edit

The entirety of the humor is based on an abuse of language. It's nonsense and there's nothing to be learned from it, other than that some people have no qualms about abusing language when it suits them.
Get a sense of humour, mate. Almost all verbal humour (as opposed to situational humour) depends on some ambiguity in words and meaning. You don't have to fight us Christians on everything, you know.

i

Felicific Forest

Moves
17 May 05

Originally posted by Phlabibit
You did this!!!!!!

Gah! You will not be forgiven. 😉

ES

Ever seen a thread such as this ? ..... DoctorScribbles loosing his cool and all ?

i

Felicific Forest

Moves
17 May 05

I can't believe I'm wasting my time with this nonsense. I'll be back later tonight. Maybe you will have it figured out by then.
DoctorS: "I can't believe I'm wasting my time with this nonsense."

...... 😀 😵 😵 😀

P
Mystic Meg

tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4

Moves
17 May 05

Originally posted by ivanhoe
DoctorS: "I can't believe I'm wasting my time with this nonsense."

...... 😀 😵 😵 😀
Hey, he's got better 'nonsense' to waste his time with... I know I do!

ES

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
17 May 05

Ever seen a thread such as this ? ..... DoctorScribbles loosing his cool and all ?
I think this may be the funniest thread EVER at RHP. Well done, Ivanhoe; poor DoctorScribbles is starting to sound like one of Harry Mudd's robots - "ILLOGICAL! ILLOGICAL!"

Chief Justice

Center of Contention

Moves
17 May 05

Originally posted by lucifershammer
"X is a prime number."

Does this proposition have a well-defined truth value? According to you - no, because it does not have a fixed truth table.

Now combine it with the statement "X = 3". See what I mean?

In order to create a truth table for WHILE (which, incidentally, is not a conjunction like AND/OR/NOR - but starts off a subordinate ...[text shortened]... ot imply that one cannot determine the truth of the superior's statement in this given context.
You don't need a 'temporal logic' (whatever that means, exactly), in order to represent the logical structure of the two original claims. All you need to do is make explicit the equivocation between two different senses of the terms 'praying' and 'smoking'.

i

Felicific Forest

Moves
17 May 05
1 edit

Originally posted by bbarr
All you need to do is make explicit the equivocation between two different senses of the terms 'praying' and 'smoking'.

Please do ...

Chief Justice

Center of Contention

Moves
17 May 05

Please do ...
The two senses of the two terms are obvious (or should be, to a native English speaker). They are accurately characterized by Coletti's analogy with the terms 'eating' and 'reading'.

i

Felicific Forest

Moves
17 May 05

Originally posted by bbarr
The two senses of the two terms are obvious (or should be, to a native English speaker). They are accurately characterized by Coletti's analogy with the terms 'eating' and 'reading'.

I'm curious to hear whether DoctorScribbles agrees with you on this.

BWA Soldier

Tha Brotha Hood

Moves
18 May 05

I'm curious to hear whether DoctorScribbles agrees with you on this.
I do not, as should be perfectly clear by now.

BWA Soldier

Tha Brotha Hood

Moves
18 May 05

Originally posted by no1marauder
I think this may be the funniest thread EVER at RHP. Well done, Ivanhoe; poor DoctorScribbles is starting to sound like one of Harry Mudd's robots - "ILLOGICAL! ILLOGICAL!"
The sheep are flocking.

l

London

Moves
18 May 05

The sheep are flocking.
Reminds me of a phrase from G.R.R. Martin's "A Sword of Fire and Ice" series - "Winter is coming".