Christians/Muslims

Christians/Muslims

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

F

Moves
05 Jun 17
1 edit

Originally posted by dj2becker
Since we are quoting things would you mind quoting the part where I said I suffered from 'interpersonal dysfunction'?
You attributed your interpersonal dysfunction to the fact you had been in a cult - you did so in an exchange with me immediately after your testimony about how you had been abused by the said cult

Moves
05 Jun 17
1 edit

Ok which part of the 'abuse' definition are you trying to apply here:

1. use (something) to bad effect or for a bad purpose; misuse.
or
2. treat with cruelty or violence, especially regularly or repeatedly.

?
"I grew up in a legalistic 'Christian cult' where I was indoctrinated from a young age to believe that the teachings of my church was true and that all other churches that didn't believe exactly what we believed were lost. I was indoctrinated to follow laws that weren't even in the Bible. I was not allowed to talk to the opposite sex, watch tv, listen to non Christian music etc, and believed that I needed to confess every bad thought that I had to a counsellor in the church who would pray with me for God to forgive me. Women in our church were not allowed to wear trousers or jewelry, and you weren't allowed to be romantically involved with the person you wanted to marry. You had to marry someone from the same church. You had to 'hear from God' who the person was that you were going to marry and you weren't even allowed to talk to them before you got married. Anyone who questioned the rules of this church were excommunicated and everyone in the church believed they were going to hell and shunned them like lepers. I was born into the church and for 24 years I believed that everything they taught was the absolute truth. Parents would disown their children if they decided to leave. "

The above falls into the category of psychological abuse. (At the very least).

Edit: You know my profession, right?

F

Moves
05 Jun 17

Ok which part of the 'abuse' definition are you trying to apply here:

1. use (something) to bad effect or for a bad purpose; misuse.
or
2. treat with cruelty or violence, especially regularly or repeatedly.

?
Like I said. Read what you wrote about how you were treated. And then read the web site you told us to look at. There you have textbook abuse.

Moves
05 Jun 17

Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
"I grew up in a legalistic 'Christian cult' where I was indoctrinated from a young age to believe that the teachings of my church was true and that all other churches that didn't believe exactly what we believed were lost. I was indoctrinated to follow laws that weren't even in the Bible. I was not allowed to talk to the opposite sex, watch tv, liste ...[text shortened]... he category of psychological abuse. (At the very least).

Edit: You know my profession, right?
That is your subjective opinion and I'm fine with you thinking what you do. That still does not mean that I feel I suffered abuse at the time or now.

No all I know is you studied theology.

Moves
05 Jun 17

Originally posted by FMF
Like I said. Read what you wrote about how you were treated. And then read the web site you told us to look at. There you have textbook abuse.
I gave you the link in case you were interested in reading other people's experiences as well. We are discussing my experience now. Where exactly did I claim to be 'used for a bad purpose' or 'that I was treated with violence'?

Moves
05 Jun 17

That is your subjective opinion and I'm fine with you thinking what you do. That still does not mean that I feel I suffered abuse at the time or now.

No all I know is you studied theology.
No, it's my professional opinion.

The situation you describe is one of abuse. The site you linked to also provide examples of abuse. How could it be anything else?

F

Moves
05 Jun 17

I gave you the link in case you were interested in reading other people's experiences as well. We are discussing my experience now. Where exactly did I claim to be 'used for a bad purpose' or 'that I was treated with violence'?
Your testimony was a description of abuse. You pointed us towards other people who had been abused. You blamed your unpleasant behaviour on the experience at one point. I think you are in denial.

Moves
05 Jun 17

Originally posted by FMF
Your testimony was a description of abuse. You pointed us towards other people who had been abused. You blamed your unpleasant behaviour on the experience at one point. I think you are in denial.
Denial, or simply made the whole thing up.

F

Moves
05 Jun 17
1 edit

Originally posted by FMF
Or perhaps none of it was true and now you want to distance yourself from the ramifications of your claim.

Moves
05 Jun 17

Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
No, it's my professional opinion.

The situation you describe is one of abuse. The site you linked to also provide examples of abuse. How could it be anything else?
Ok thanks for your professional opinion. I appreciate it. I still don't think anyone there had any malicious intent in fact I think they were all very sincere. So I was never treated with violence or used for any bad purpose. I know you are going to support FMF to the end and you are not being objective because he is your 'forum buddy'.

F

Moves
05 Jun 17
1 edit

Ok thanks for your professional opinion. I appreciate it. I still don't think anyone there had any malicious intent in fact I think they were all very sincere. So I was never treated with violence or used for any bad purpose. I know you are going to support FMF to the end and you are not being objective because he is your 'forum buddy'.
You described psychological abuse and deprivation, in your own words, voluntarily, perhaps unguardedly.

Moves
05 Jun 17

Originally posted by FMF
You described psychological abuse and deprivation, in your won words, voluntarily, perhaps unguardedly.
I am still waiting for you to point out a part of my text that says I was treated with violence or used for a bad purpose. If you disagree with the definition of abuse that I am using please reference the definition that you are using.

F

Moves
05 Jun 17
1 edit

I am still waiting for you to point out a part of my text that says I was treated with violence or used for a bad purpose. If you disagree with the definition of abuse that I am using please reference the definition that you are using.
All of it basically.

edit: I never mentioned "violence"

Moves
05 Jun 17

Originally posted by FMF
All of it basically.
I still don't see any mention of violence or use for a bad purpose. That is how abuse is defined in the dictionary. You must be using the FMF dictionary.

F

Moves
05 Jun 17

I still don't see any mention of violence or use for a bad purpose. That is how abuse is defined in the dictionary. You must be using the FMF dictionary.
I mentioned psychological abuse not violence.

If you are now claiming that the abuse you described was somehow 'for a good purpose', then your denial perhaps runs deep.