1. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    02 Sep '21 21:322 edits
    @moonbus

Paul's letters also reveal that there were mature and normal Christians in the audience.

I don't think it is realistic to focus solely on those in need of exhortation and correction. You are not expecting all Christians to be instantaneously full grown from the moment they get saved are you? If you became a believer would you expect that to happen to you?

In no other realm of life is instantaneous maturity experienced WITHOUT growth, development, progress.

Why would you expect no Christians in 2,000 years needed time to grow and mature?

At any rate Paul said this indicating there WERE also successful Christians in his MOST troublesome congregation, Corinth -

"For there must even be parties among you, that those who are approved may become manifest among you." (1 Cor. 11:16).

See? Some were "approved" . And look at all the ones approved in Romans 16.
  2. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    02 Sep '21 22:43
    Expel the immoral brother.
  3. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    03 Sep '21 06:58
    @sonship said
    @moonbus

Paul's letters also reveal that there were mature and normal Christians in the audience.

I don't think it is realistic to focus solely on those in need of exhortation and correction. You are not expecting all Christians to be instantaneously full grown from the moment they get saved are you? If you became a believer would you expect that to happen t ...[text shortened]... /b]

See? Some were "approved" . And look at all the ones approved in Romans 16.
    Yup, Christians rebuking Christians, telling each other which ones are “approved”, as if they knew who would ultimately receive God’s grace. I expect nothing but more of the same from Christians. Exactly what the thread is about.

Just as an aside: Would you be one of the “approved” ?
  4. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    03 Sep '21 11:431 edit
    @moonbus

I am not sure what you are upset about.

Let me just say this. One of the prayers that I had when I became a Christians was this - "Lord Jesus put me with some people who will help me to grow."

You see I had seen a lot to discourage me. I didn't want to run into Christians who were a discouragement but would know how to encourage me and help me grow.

Well, God answered that heart felt prayer. Even if I was not always faithful, He was faithful. We are told to be imitators of those who through patience "are inheriting the promises". Such Christian brothers and sisters are in the world.

"That you may not be sluggish, but imitators of those who through faith and longsuffering are inheriting the promises." (Heb. 6:12)
  5. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    05 Sep '21 22:49
    "Rebuking" is not quite the right word. "Rebuking" sounds like it could have some eloquence to it, or set some sort of higher standard.

Perhaps: Christians being total, unapologetic jerks towards other Christians.
    (Well, sonship occasionally apologizes. The rest are apparently jerks and proud of it.)
  6. Joined
    16 Aug '15
    Moves
    05 Sep '21 23:591 edit
    Emo Philips

Once I saw this guy on a bridge about to jump. I said, "Don't do it!" He said, "Nobody loves me." I said, "God loves you. Do you believe in God?"

He said, "Yes." I said, "Are you a Christian or a Jew?" He said, "A Christian." I said, "Me, too! Protestant or Catholic?" He said, "Protestant." I said, "Me, too! What franchise?" He said, "Baptist." I said, "Me, too! Northern Baptist or Southern Baptist?" He said, "Northern Baptist." I said, "Me, too! Northern Conservative Baptist or Northern Liberal Baptist?"

He said, "Northern Conservative Baptist." I said, "Me, too! Northern Conservative Baptist Great Lakes Region, or Northern Conservative Baptist Eastern Region?" He said, "Northern Conservative Baptist Great Lakes Region." I said, "Me, too!"

Northern Conservative†Baptist Great Lakes Region Council of 1879, or Northern Conservative Baptist Great Lakes Region Council of 1912?" He said, "Northern Conservative Baptist Great Lakes Region Council of 1912." I said, "Die, heretic!" And I pushed him over.
  7. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    06 Sep '21 12:121 edit
    @Gambrel

God is recovering the testimony of one church for one city.
    God is recovering the practical unity of the Body of Christ and the oneness of the local church.

"What you see write in a scroll and send it to the seven churches:
    to Ephesus and to Smyrna and to Pergamos and to Thyatira and to Sardis and to Philadelphia and to Laodicea.

And I turned to see the voice that spoke with me; and when I turned I saw seven golden lampstands." (Rev. 1:11,12)

Jesus Christ is recovering the normal Christian church life of one local church per one city.
  8. Subscribermlb62
    mlb62
    Moves
    06 Sep '21 15:55

Removed by poster

9. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    06 Sep '21 16:09
    @eladar said
    Expel the immoral brother.
    Goodbye, then.
  10. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    06 Sep '21 16:10
    @ogb removed their quoted post
    I wouldn't be that concerned about that if I were you. You know, unless you are a devout Jew.

You can count to two, can't you?
  11. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    06 Sep '21 16:12
    @gambrel said
    Emo Philips

Once I saw this guy on a bridge about to jump. I said, "Don't do it!" He said, "Nobody loves me." I said, "God loves you. Do you believe in God?"

He said, "Yes." I said, "Are you a Christian or a Jew?" He said, "A Christian." I said, "Me, too! Protestant or Catholic?" He said, "Protestant." I said, "Me, too! What franchise?" He said, "Baptist." I said, "Me, ...[text shortened]... ervative Baptist Great Lakes Region Council of 1912." I said, "Die, heretic!" And I pushed him over.
    That is so much like this forum.
  12. Joined
    16 Aug '15
    Moves
    07 Sep '21 03:08
    @sonship said
    @Gambrel

God is recovering the practical unity of the Body of Christ and the oneness of the local church.

[b]"What you see write in a scroll and send it to the seven churches:
    to Ephesus and to Smyrna and to Pergamos and to Thyatira and to Sardis and to Philadelphia and to Laodicea.

And I turned ...[text shortened]...

Jesus Christ is recovering the normal Christian church life of one local church per one city.
    So God's ordering me to send this joke to Ephesus and to Smyrna and to Pergamos and to Thyatira and to Sardis and to Philadelphia and to Laodicea?
    WTF are you on bruh?
  13. Joined
    16 Aug '15
    Moves
    07 Sep '21 04:10
    @sonship said
    @Gambrel

[b]"What you see write in a scroll and send it to the seven churches:

And I turned ...[text shortened]...

Okay!
    *Slowly backs away from computer*
  14. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    07 Sep '21 06:12
    @Gambrel

Oh, you'll be back - when you think of another joke.
  15. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    07 Sep '21 06:351 edit
    @Gambrel

I was showing that the answer to the problem of denominations is go return to the NT model - one church according to a city. This is a principle that is apparent throughout the whole New Testament. There are four example of churches in the homes of someone. But this is because local churches usually started in the homes of some Christians.

Oh, I did smile at your joke.
    Then I offered some more serious comment.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree